The resurrection of Jesus Christ

by enquirer 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Tyre
    Tyre

1Co 15:44 As surely as there are physical bodies, there are spiritual bodies. And our physical bodies will be changed into spiritual bodies.

1Co 15:45 The first man was named Adam, and the Scriptures tell us that he was a living person. But Jesus, who may be called the last Adam, is a life-giving spirit.

1Co 15:46 We see that the one with a spiritual body did not come first. He came after the one who had a physical body.

1Co 15:47 The first man was made from the dust of the earth, but the second man came from heaven.

1Co 15:48 Everyone on earth has a body like the body of the one who was made from the dust of the earth. And everyone in heaven has a body like the body of the one who came from heaven.

• hooberus
    hooberus
    I think jesus raised his own body and continued to use it until he went to heaven where he had to bring it to his father as the ransom sacrifice . It's kinda like when you read in jude and it talks about moses body and michael and satan were arguing over it , so I assume he takes things like that . There is a part where jesus says he has to take his ransom to his father

I disagree with this. I hope to post why shortly.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Why did some not recognize Jesus at first? (Luke 24:15-32)

How did Jesus just "appear" to some in a room, even though the doors were locked? (John 20:26,27)

1Peter 3:18 shows Jesus was raised in the spirit, not flesh (1 Cor 15:45-50 confirms this process).

Maybe Jesus appeared to the Doubting Thomas in human form, for his benifit.......

• Tyre
    Tyre

ThiChi,

Confirmed with this one. 1Jo 4:1-3 and 2Jo 1:7-11

1Jo 4:1 Dear friends, don't believe everyone who claims to have the Spirit of God. Test them all to find out if they really do come from God. Many false prophets have already gone out into the world,

1Jo 4:2 and you can know which ones come from God. His Spirit says that Jesus Christ had a truly human body.

1Jo 4:3 But when someone doesn't say this about Jesus, you know that person has a spirit that doesn't come from God and is the enemy of Christ. You knew that this enemy was coming into the world and now is already here.

2Jo 1:7 Many liars have gone out into the world. These deceitful liars are saying that Jesus Christ did not have a truly human body. But they are liars and the enemies of Christ.

2Jo 1:8 So be sure not to lose what we have worked for. If you do, you won't be given your full reward.

2Jo 1:9 Don't keep changing what you were taught about Christ, or else God will no longer be with you. But if you hold firmly to what you were taught, both the Father and the Son will be with you.

2Jo 1:10 If people won't agree to this teaching, don't welcome them into your home or even greet them.

2Jo 1:11 Greeting them is the same as taking part in their evil deeds.

• Tyre
    Tyre

CONFIRMED WITH THIS

Act 13:30

But God raised him from death!

Act 13:31
    Then for many days Jesus appeared to his followers who had gone with him from Galilee to Jerusalem. Now they are telling our people about him.

Act 13:32
    God made a promise to our ancestors. And we are here to tell you the good news

Act 13:33
    that he has kept this promise to us. It is just as the second Psalm says about Jesus, "You are my son because today I have become your Father."

Act 13:34
    God raised Jesus from death and will never let his body decay. It is just as God said, "I will make to you the same holy promise that I made to David."

Act 13:35
    And in another psalm it says, "God will never let the body of his Holy One decay."

Act 13:36
    When David was alive, he obeyed God. Then after he died, he was buried in the family grave, and his body decayed.

Act 13:37
    But God raised Jesus from death, and his body did not decay.

Act 13:38
    My friends, the message is that Jesus can forgive your sins! The Law of Moses could not set you free from all your sins.

Act 13:39
    But everyone who has faith in Jesus is set free.

• hooberus
    hooberus
    Why did some not recognize Jesus at first? (Luke 24:15-32)

Because "their eyes were holden", later "their eyes were opened." Their not recognizing Jesus had to do with the condition of "their eyes." Luke 24 KJV 15: And it came to pass, that, while they communed together and reasoned, Jesus himself drew near, and went with them.
    16: But their eyes were holden that they should not know him. Luke 24 30: And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them.
    31: And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight.

How did Jesus just "appear" to some in a room, even though the doors were locked? (John 20:26,27)

How did Jesus walk on water with a fleshly body? How was Philip's fleshly body "caught away that the eunich saw him no more"? Acts 8 39: And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

1Peter 3:18 shows Jesus was raised in the spirit, not flesh (1 Cor 15:45-50 confirms this process).

1 Peter 3:18 in some translations says that Christ was made alive "in the spirit," not made alive as "a spirit." Remember Jesus' words: Luke 24 39: Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
    40: And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet. What about the contrast between "in the flesh" and "in the spirit"? Does this phrase necessarily mean that the flesh is dispossessed of? Compare the 1 Peter 3:18 with Romans 8:9. Had the people in Romans 8 became "spirit creatures"? 1 Peter 3 (RSV) 18: For Christ also died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit; Romans 8 (RSV) 9: But you are not in the flesh, you are in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Any one who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.

Maybe Jesus appeared to the Doubting Thomas in human form, for his benifit.......

Even before Jesus appeared to "Doubting Thomas" he appeared to the other disciples, and gave the same evidence (the wound holes) that he later gave Thomas. Therefore, the Watchtowers implication that Jesus only appeared in "a body" with wound holes "to convince Thomas" is wrong. John 20 19: Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
    20: And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord.
    21: Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you. 22: And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:
    23: Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.
    24: But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
    25: The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.
    26: And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.
    27: Then saith he to Thomas, reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.
    28: And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
    29: Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

• Tyre
    Tyre

Agree

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Why did some not recognize Jesus at first? (Luke 24:15-32) How did Jesus just "appear" to some in a room, even though the doors were locked? (John 20:26,27)

Because some of the older epiphany stories were proto-docetic. The quasi-docetic narrative in Luke 24:15-32 was followed by a corrective story in v. 36-43 which insisted on the fleshly corporeality of Jesus: "Look at my hands and feet; yes, it is I indeed. Touch me and see for yourselves; a ghost has no flesh and bones as you can see I have" (Luke 24:39). That is the purpose of the Thomas story in John as well, to rule out a docetic interpretation. Docetism is condemned as the teaching of the Antichrist in 1 John 4:2; 2 John 7, and Ignatius uses a similar resurrection story to refute docetic doctrine:

"He truly suffered just as he truly raised himself -- not, as certain unbelievers say, in apperance only for it is they who exist in appearance only! Indeed, their fate will be determined by what they think: they will become disembodied as a phantom. For I know and believe that he was in the flesh even after the resurrection, and when he came to Peter and those with him, he said to them: 'Take hold of me; handle me and see that I am not a disembodied phantom'. And immediately they touched him and believed, being closely united with his flesh and blood. For this reason they too despised death; indeed, they proved to be greater than death. And after his resurrection he ate and drank with them like one who is composed of flesh, although spiritually he was united with the Father" (Smyrnaeans 2:1-3:3)

Viewing such stories as trickery on the part of Jesus is to adopt the very the docetic perspective disputed in these texts. Paul, drawing on proto-gnosticism, was not entirely free of docetism, but he clearly did not regard resurrection as involving the abandonment of the fleshly body but rather its transformation into a spiritual body. He says "flesh and blood cannot inherit heaven" but this does not mean that "flesh and blood" is merely abandoned; rather the living like the formerly dead Jesus "shall be changed" so that "our present perishable nature must put on imperishability" (1 Corinthians 15:45-53). 1 Peter 3:18 clearly refutes the idea that Jesus was a docetic phantom in life, while the point of saying he was "made alive in spirit" is that Jesus is ALIVE, through the aegis of spirit he is ALIVE. There is no explicit "phantom" concept here; the more natural notion is that Jesus' "flesh" was enlivened and revived through a return of spirit, like the breath of God returning to Adam's nostrils in creation. No abandonment of the fleshly body, as the WTS teaches.

That's outright docetism.

• enquirer
    enquirer

From Enquirer - Thank

you all for your replies.

I am very encouraged that so many of you are taking this subject seriously.

Regarding my original question. It is so important to accept the bodily resurrection of Jesus because of His other promise to return to this earth and reign as King in Jerusalem over the whole earth. The promise to His mother Mary before he was born that, "He shall reign over the house of Jacob and of His Kingdom there shall be no end."

Thankyou Tyre for adding those lovely passages from the Corinthian letter.

In reply to the question of acceptance of Myths about the birth of other "saviours", I am only able to accept the Holy Scriptures, in regard to our Saviour Jesus, because of their claim to be inspired by our creator The LORD GOD in heaven. We must have a reliable source of information when it comes to these important subjects. "Holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Spirit," a very well known passage of Scripture.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit