Did your elders ever anounce the names of inactive publishers?

by carefully faded 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• carefully faded
    carefully faded

New Castles recently posted a topic asking if there were any specific comments people made that caused us to question or leave the orgnaization. This caused me to remember one particiular incident and was wondering if anyone else experienced anything similar.

Our Service Overseer came to our bookstudy and did his routine talk on, "you're not doing enough", "what you are doing isn't quality", "DO MORE, MORE, MORE" in the field service. This talk was especially uncomfortable because our bookstudy was on Saturday morning - so if we didn't stay for the field service meeting directly after the bookstudy, it was pretty conspicuous.

Anyway, he then stated that we had several people in our congregation who were irregular in service. He then made sure everyone understood what "irregular" meant. He said, this means that these people can't find at least one hour out of their busy lives to devote to Jehovah over the course of three months. Then he proceeded to read the list of names of irregular publishers.

One of the sisters was there at that bookstudy while her name was read - my mouth was literally hanging open - I couldn't believe what I was hearing - what happened to confidentiality!. Then he read out another older sisters name - this second sister was something like 85 years old at the time and had faithfully devoted more than 50 years of her life - and towards the end when she was sick, bedridden and dying, he points out that she is one of these evil, selfish "inactive" ones. I was literally sick to my stomach.

This is the same elder who later stated during a public talk, "When armageddon comes, all I can say is God help those of us who are not putting in at least 10 hours per month".

Has anyone ever heard of elders making public the names of inactive publishers? Isn't that information supposed to be confidential? Just curious. Remembering that issue stirred up some serious emotions in me! Thanks. CF

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Damn

• findingme
    findingme

I don't remember the elders making an anouncement of inactive ones during a meeting. However, i remember working in field service with an elder who would mention the "irregulars" by name to the car group. I thought this was uncalled for.

I STILL have a major problem with this "10 hour a month" quota. Who sets the standard? humans. Certainly not God. I can remember my Ministerial Servant ex telling me to "fudge" my field service time so that his wife would appear to be living up to the standard. I lived like such a hypocrite back then....

• galaxy7
    galaxy7
    One of the sisters was there at that bookstudy while her name was read - my mouth was literally hanging open - I couldn't believe what I was hearing - what happened to confidentiality!. Then he read out another older sisters name - this second sister was something like 85 years old at the time and had faithfully devoted more than 50 years of her life - and towards the end when she was sick, bedridden and dying, he points out that she is one of these evil, selfish "inactive" ones. I was literally sick to my stomach

If that isnt a sign of true love of your fellow man I dont know what is.Thats just awful how they treat people

• Stefanie
    Stefanie
    I STILL have a major problem with this "10 hour a month" quota. Who sets the standard? humans. Certainly not God. I can remember my Ministerial Servant ex telling me to "fudge" my field service time so that his wife would appear to be living up to the standard. I lived like such a hypocrite back then....

Been there and done that. In fact my ex would count 10 hours alone for the kids bible studies, which he wasnt even doing!

• ball.
    ball.

The strangest announcement I ever heard at a book study was a "brother and sister" were mentioned by name and we were told not to lend any money to them. Strange. This is the same brother and sister who were terminally ill, they are the famous JW couple who made headlines by flying out to scandanavia for assisted suicide. Maybe they were raising money for treatment or something.

• Flash
    Flash

No, but I'm not surprised. I noticed an absence of standards developing before I left.

As for reporting Field Service time, shortly before I left I called the Elder (who was expecting me to report my hours), and told him I was not going to report my time anymore because my Field Service contributions were the same as my Monetary contributions - PRIVATE.

This is the same elder who later stated during a public talk,

"When armageddon comes, all I can say is God help those of us who are not putting in at least 10 hours per month".

This guys a CLOWN!

• boa
    boa

I haven't heard that , and of course its terribly wrong, but it doesn't matter even if they never did that, especially if you're pioneering you can figure alotta things out about who is doing or not doing what and then smugly sit back and wallow in how yer not like THEM - sheesh

I felt intense satisfaction that in the last coupla years before I left (in feb 04) that I had 'witnessed' to some people and NEVER put the time in MUHAHAHAHAHA.....

my act of rebellion was only one 'sign of the last days' of boa as a dub

boa

• blondie
    blondie

No, in 40 plus years and several congregations I don't remember that ever happening. I can believe that somewhere there could be an elder marching to his own drum that could do that. I can't imagine a whole elder body sitting back and letting that happen. I have seen rogue elders do things from the platform that the other elders had to do damage control afterwards.

Blondie

• jwphobe
    jwphobe
    The strangest announcement I ever heard at a book study was a "brother and sister" were mentioned by name and we were told not to lend any money to them. Strange. This is the same brother and sister who were terminally ill, they are the famous JW couple who made headlines by flying out to scandanavia for assisted suicide. Maybe they were raising money for treatment or something.

Maybe they were trying to raise money to fly to scandanavia to commit assisted suicide. Maybe the brother was trying to prevent that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit