Sent them away to research 1914!

by duckie 15 Replies latest jw friends

• duckie
    duckie

Hi all, I have not posted for some time, to bring you up to date, I recently moved, the local JW's do not know me. They do not know I am a fade-away.

As luck would have it, a couple of weeks ago two 50-somthing JW's, husband and wife, knocked on our door while doing normal house to house work. I got the standard presentation, with a strong emphasis on 1914 and the last days. The left me with "jehovahs Witnesses, Who are they? What do they believe?

They returned this morning, I told them I had read it and that 1914 seemed to come up a lot. So I did some research on the internet and found out how they arrived at 1914 (you know the whole 607BCE thing). They were very happy about this but added that using the internet to research JW's could let me to getting a lot of "miss information".

I told them that being a history buff I did not remember 607 as being the year that Jerusalem fell and that I am sure that it was 530 something and that I did not believe that their calculation for arriving at 1914 was correct. He (an annoying type of a person, who easily gets agitated) said that their "organisation" had done a lot of deep research for them and that he was sure that they had it right. I said that maybe they might like to look into history books for themselves and come back to me with a history book that categorically states that Jeruselem fell in 607, they agreed and told me they would return.

I can't wait!

• Brother Beyond
    Brother Beyond

Duckie,

The thought of you playing them along like that had me in stitches. I've often thought i'd like to be in that situation, but unfortunatley the jw's around here all know who i am.

I can imagine them relating their experience to other jw friends when they met up for morning coffee

BB

• duckie
    duckie

BB, yip, it was great. I stood there and knew exactly what they were going to say next. I thought, my god, I used to do this, I used to rabbitt off exactly the same things, I actually felt really sorry for them, they were just like little WT clones, with all the cliches and lines, the reasoning book came out (not the bible) and she (she is quite nice and uses reason) was clearly stumbling over trying to explain the 1914 thing, poor thing, I really felt for her.

I asked her "what will you do if you find out that the 607 and 1914 thing is historically speaking wrong" she said that if they were wrong she would search elsewhere for the true religion.

Well we will see if in fact they come back.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Sadly they will still conclude that 607 is correct. It all has to do with the "conspiracy" and "we are special" mentality that JWs have.

When they see all of the references to 586/587 they will conclude that their great and almighty Organization was some how able to dig through all the conspiracy cover-ups and still conclude 607 is correct.

Didn't you know that all of the churches, religious schools and institutions are WELL AWARE that Jehover's Witnesses have the truth? All of these people in positions of religious authority actually take their special students into back rooms and admit this to them and then tell the students that they MUST participate in all of the cover-ups and conspiracies that make JW's look like fools and liars.

All of those books and references to 586/587 are part of that conspiracy to cover-up the TRUTH about 607 and to deceive the world into serving Satan.

• willyloman
    willyloman
    All of those books and references to 586/587 are part of that conspiracy to cover-up the TRUTH about 607 and to deceive the world into serving Satan.

I just knew there had to be a good explanation...

• Joe Bloggs
    Joe Bloggs

Hi, Duckie. I wouldn't hold your breath that they will return with a load of evidence to support 607BCE as the date for the fall of Jerusalem (except Watchtower rubbish), but this is a little encouraging:

I asked her "what will you do if you find out that the 607 and 1914 thing is historically speaking wrong" she said that if they were wrong she would search elsewhere for the true religion.

Is it possible to pin her down to how she would accept 607BCE as "wrong"? If you can get her to admit that a stack of historical evidence supports 586/587BCE then you may be on to something.

Carl Olof Jonnson's book, The Gentile Times Reconsidered, will help greatly.

Joe

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    They were very happy about this but added that using the internet to research JW's could let me to getting a lot of "miss information".

Like a trained parrot...

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Of course, once you're in, they'll tell you "well even if the date is incorrect, this is still obviously Jehovah's organization."

But in a first-time conversation with a house-holder, they have to sound like they're open-minded and would actually be willing to look at other religions, if only they were half as good as JWs.

• duckie
    duckie

Joe, yes by her saying that she would look elsehwere for the turth, I did feel that she would in fact do some research. I do have a feeling that her hubby will vito it all when she starts to discover the real truth. She will either return with loads of WT explaination on the 607 date, (which I think I am ready for) or they will simply not return at all and we will become a "do not call".

He did say that if something is 99% right then that was good enough for him. I said that might be OK but when a fundamental belief is so obviously at the very best doubtful then surley they have to question the rest of it, he did not have a reply.

I will continue to keep you updated. But if any of you have had this debate please feel free to send me information to help.

Cheers Duckie

• willyloman
    willyloman
    He did say that if something is 99% right then that was good enough for him.

See? Their benchmark has already dropped a whole point!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit