Introduction

by Kathy 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Kathy
    Kathy

To everyone: Thank you!!! You are right. Although I personally believe the trinity (because I choose to, based on what I've read, and also because it makes me feel good), there is no reason to argue it. It is not a life or death situation. As was pointed out, who cares!!??? No one died BECAUSE they believed in it. I also appreciate the view that our salvation does not depend on it. So where does that leave me? I'm not sure.... I'll keep trying. Incindentally, I'm halfway through "Crisis of Conscience." Wow, incedible. I better give this book to our sister soon. Thanks again!

• Prisca
    Prisca

I don't believe in the trinity either, and I don't have anything else to add to what has already been written, but I just wanted to post to say HI and WELCOME to the DB!

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Kathy,
    Much good advice and insight was already given here. For me, the JW's touting the scripture John 13:35 as one of the identifying marks of true religion, was eventually a red flag for me. Your friend may not be able to see this right now, because she is going to be on the receiving end of a lot of "love". The witnesses always do this to new one's. RHW, said it best, many months ago and this is when I heard it for the first time even though I was a JW for some thirty eight years, love bombing.
    But in the book you are reading C of C, there is a passage where it talks about how brothers in Malawi were dying, being savagely beaten, and systematically raped for not buying a party card. Society policy. In that same passage, a situation arose in Mexico which was very similiar and a political connection was sanctioned by the Society, which allowed the Mexican brothers to avoid what happened to their brethern in Malawi.
    I was aware, as one of JW's about Malawi, but had no clue about Mexico. Perhaps in conjunction with this account you could cause a question in her mind about John 13:35 being an identifying mark.
    There was also some accounts about changes on sexual policy, which caused great devastation in lives. One in particular that stands out, was an account of a sister who discovered her husband was involved in bestiality, the elder's ruled it was not grounds for adultrey and divorce. Within a very short period of time the policy was changed. She had been disfellowshipped for remarrying already. She pleaded for mercy and asked for them to reinstate her to the congregation on the basis of their own changed policy, they refused. Again, blatant disregard for John 13:35, IMO.
    Good luck!!
    TW

• Francois
    Francois

I've always heard that you can't convince someone against their will, and it seems your bf's sister has her mind made up. I'm sorry about that.

Having said that, however, I intuit that you don't want to give up the "fine fight" for your bf's sister. In this you might want to consider choosing your battles carefully. So along with the others, I suggest the trinity perhaps isn't the battle you're looking for.

I personally think that religion is an emotional matter, and you might want to consider discovering what about your bf's sister's emotional makeup the JWs appeal to and work on that component of her interest in them. She might even be willing to disclose what so attracts her if you ask in the right way. Like a straightforward "what is it about what you're studying that attracts you so much?" At least then you'll have a place to start.

Eric Hoffer posits that there are known personality types that are attracted to cults. You might want to get his little book "The True Believer" and see if it gives you any clues or insights about what's motivating this person. Can't hurt. And it's better than the shotgun approach of attempting to devalue everything she's being told. That approach likely makes you just appear negative. Perhaps there's a positive approach you might use? I hope so.

Best of luck to you.

Francois

My $0.02

• ianao
    ianao

Kathy:

yadda yadda yadda, same here. I won't welcome you to this board as it isn't my board. Glad to see you here though.

Farkel:

How many people died needlessly because they couldn't eat meat on Friday? How many people died needlessly because they refused blood transfusion components that are now permissible?

The trinity doesn't mean jack. It's merely a smoke-screen the WTS puts up to deflect the REAL damage they've done to people in their false prophets career.

You've just opened my eyes WIDE regarding Catholocism vs. JWs. Thank you VERY MUCH for the knock in the head!!

-ianao

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit