Millions Now Living Will Defiantly Die.

by weasel 11 Replies latest jw friends

• weasel
    weasel

My mother passed away in February. She was a pioneer for 40 years and steadfast in her JW beliefs to the day she died. I flew to Kentucky to find her cold and dead in her bed. The Memorial Service was conducted at a "Kingdom Hall" by a man that sodomized me when I was 8 years old. He wouldn't look me in the eye. He said, during his sermon at the memorial, "If anyone tells you that you're never going to die, they are a liar and from Satan". I could not believe what I heard. I remember the book "Millions Now Living Will Never Die" (1920) by the Watchtower Organization and also the lies that led to 1975 that I remember very well. It simply makes me sick that three of my sisters are still thumping the "New World Translation".

Johnny

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Oops! They just shot themselves in the foot! Little extreme religions cannot survive if they stop attracting the nut cases who live for believing the unbelievable.

I remember, when I was a kid, watching a documentary about a religion or organization that taught that EVERYONE in immortal. They said that the only reason people died was because the believed they would die. All a person had to do was honestly believe that they would not die and they would not!

The person doing the interview asked why a few members had died and they answered that the people who did die clearly did not really believe? basically it was the fault of the deceased that they died.

Sometimes I wonder how many of the leadership has died off by now.

I sure wish I could remember the name of that group.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Makes one want to vomit doesn't it?

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

I'm really sorry about your mother, weasel.

I've also been thinking a lot about their claims in 1920 that "millions now living will never die". Of course, they have effective ways of neutralizing most believers' conflicting thoughts and feelings on this. Didn't they just blame the man who wrote that (or exclaimed it to the conventioners) ?

Here's a suggestion for them - maybe they meant, spiritually. Millions now living (spiritually) will never die (spiritually)? Or maybe they meant "millions now living will never die, and by never, they mean definitely ? Maybe "never" can mean something different now than it did then, like "generation" means something different now than it did a few years ago... all they need to do is redefine "never". AAARRRGGGHH !

• particlesnwaves5
    particlesnwaves5

<<The Memorial Service was conducted at a "Kingdom Hall" by a man that sodomized me when I was 8 years old. .>>

Was that a secret? Have you ever told anyone, like your mom? Was anything ever done about it? Anyway if you'd rather not comment on that aspect, I think it would be perfectly understandable.

Just had to ask. I'm sorry you had that experience. Hearing about those kind of things is still so shocking and makes me know how blind and sheltered I have been.

I think there are many JWs that will get much enlightenment when they go through the "veil". I had an elderly relative pass recently. This person was the first to become a witness and was responsible for succeeding generations to become JWs. I think this person may be feeling some kindly regret. Some people who have had near death experiences say that the Light--God--allows all the religions to exist as sort of training schools in ethics. But persons of special discernment usually leave the religions and go on to a deeper spirituality. God is completely compassionate and non-judgemental. Persons of this type begin to see things like God does... I don't know if that is true but I like to think it is. That sort of makes us the lucky ones....

I have had some rough and heartrending experiences in other ways. And it seems I am always surrounded by problematical people. Lately, I do think it some sort of spiritual education. Perhaps your experiences have made you more compassionate, careful, and more empathetic than others who have not experienced such things. Maybe you are a much more protective parent and this quality will be passed on to succeeding generations.

• boa
    boa

sorry to hear about your mother weasel.

the society's careful quoting from only a tiny bit of that book and the assembly is what saves them like in so many other issues from loyal dubbies becoming questioning dubbies imo

boa

• observador
    observador

Or maybe he meant "millions now living will never die" in God's eyes. There really is a lot of ways to rationalize that if one wants.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Weasel,

Welcome to the Board and please do accept our commiserations regarding the sad news of you mothers death. I hope in time that the pain will ease a little.

Your own childhood experience must be torture to bear, especially given the fact that your abuser seems to have escaped punishment for his crimes. Not a happy time for you at all, but I hope that the community spirit of this Board helps you to find friends to talk with and in some way also helps to cope with your pain.

Kind regards - HS

• Mary
    Mary

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother Weasel. I found it very upsetting when my grandmother, a faithful Dub for 60 years passed away. I remember she told me when I was 15 years old that if Armageddon wasn't here by the time she died, than this wasn't "the Truth". Of course, she forgot that statement in later years, but I didn't. It's always awful when we lose our parents or grandparents, but I think in a way it's worse for Witnesses or ex-Witnesses simply because we were always told that these people would NEVER die.

The Memorial Service was conducted at a "Kingdom Hall" by a man that sodomized me when I was 8 years old. He wouldn't look me in the eye.

Oh my god. I give you great credit for managing to sit through it. Have you ever considered reporting him, or at the least, beating the shit out of him for what he did?

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

They've also started re-writing history. It pops up "Millions now living MAY never die." check it out - apparently both slogans were floating about at that time, and they've decided to emphasize the lesser, not so emphatic one, although rutherford was more dogmatic on the issue.

CZAR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit