Help me out? a request for critique on my writing

by Sirona 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Sirona
    Sirona

Gumby & Sheila,

Keep writing....or as my proffesor says "read, read, read, write, write, write, re-write, re-write, re-write"

Well, I read read read. Now I've got to work on the rest. It's so difficult to rewrite aswell. I suppose that the more I write, the more I will become used to it and then I won't have to completely rewrite stuff.

Sirona

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

ROFL
    That is so cool!
    LOL

Love it!
    I'll never look at a pack of Tarot cards again the sssame!!!

• Simon
    Simon

Tarot cards ... sound a bit like Yu-Gi-Oh

"I play my Dark Magician card ..."

(I know them all ... I'm still watching the cartoons after the kids have long gone )

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Sirona:

Your probably much too hard on yourself. I don't re-write as much as some but I spend ALOT of time running it around in my mind. My last short narrative took me two years to write, I spent too much time giving myself permission to tell the story LOL Rewriting should be to clean up the work, get rid of editorializing etc. I tended to do a lot of editorilizing LOL wanting to tell the people how to react to my story LOL

Sheila

• UpAndAtom
    UpAndAtom

This is much better. I knew you had talent, there was no doubt about that.

They were silent for a few moments as an angel walked by. One always had to be quiet around angels.

I suppose I'm really nit-picking here, but this is showing and telling in the same paragraph. Were they silent because of :

1. wanting to guard a secret from the angel, as implied by the first sentance, but not by the second sentance which didn't offer any explaination or reasons.
    2. fearful of repercussions for breaking rules (Some good plot points could be developed here... but only if an Angel would be the focus of the story somehow)
    3. having quiet respect for angels, talking is permitted, but shows disrespect. (If this is the case, it could lead to a boring story, unless the story called for this quiet respect to be turned up-side-down. Again, the story would need a strong angel figure for this plot poin to work.)

Reveal the correct answer latter in the story, but for the moment, I would recommend deletion of the sentance, "One always had to be quiet around angels". My advice, will almost always focus around 'deletion' of writen material. Most authors write more than they need too....including me. The good authors know when to stop... and when they don't, their publisher/editors do.

(sung in the style of Dory from 'Finding Nemo') Just keep writing, just keep writing, just keep writing.

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    Well, I read read read. Now I've got to work on the rest. It's so difficult to rewrite aswell. I suppose that the more I write, the more I will become used to it and then I won't have to completely rewrite stuff.

Sirona, here's the deal on rewrites:

If you have completed your initial manuscript, keep your rewrites to a bare minimum, unless you've discovered glaring errors in syntax, fluidity, or repetition. If you feel undue pressure to completely rewrite something, then set your original manuscript aside and write something entirely new. At a later date, you can reexamine your original work, and then decide if it needs a major or minor overhaul.

If you're writing to be published, you can be assured that your publisher will assign an editor to your manuscript who will do a rewrite for you, whether you want them to or not. You then have the option to rewrite the editor's rewrite, if it doesn't capture the flavor and intent of your initial work. Take it from someone who knows -- rewriting a work that has been rewritten by someone else is more difficult than writing the original manuscript. In my case, I was fortunate that my publisher accepted my rewrite after their editor had done their thing to my manuscript.

Writing for public consumption is never as easy as putting your thoughts down on paper and saying "Here it is." It's a lot of effort. Having said that, the joy and thrill of seeing your end work in print, and receiving compliments from others who have read your work, are experiences that will make your efforts worthwhile.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Sirona: I happend to like that sentence

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

SanFrancisco: Actually if you study the greats many of them rewrote many times over ala Hemingway. Many of the rewrites may have been due to excess alcohol in the system but never the less.

Rewriting usually occures once the original is down, that way you don't block your creative flow. You spill it out as it were then go back for the rewriting process. Very few writers I know rewrite before the original is finished be it poem, narrative, short story etc

• Sirona
    Sirona

UpandAtom

Glad you thought this was much better. (I wondered if I'd understood you correctly!). I guess it's all about balance - don't state too much of the obvious whilst letting the reader know what is going on.

The angel part - well I'd actually thought of point 3, that they were being quiet as a sign of respect, and that Angels are powerful and higher up in the hierarchy. I wanted a create a pause in the dialogue because I thought it was needed at that point. After consideration I think that the 2nd sentence is unnecessary because the reader can take a guess at why they were quiet - and since one of them didn't say "shhh! there's an angel" then it's obvious that this was a routine thing to do.

Thanks for the compliments...

Sirona

• Sirona
    Sirona

Jim

If you have completed your initial manuscript, keep your rewrites to a bare minimum, unless you've discovered glaring errors in syntax, fluidity, or repetition. If you feel undue pressure to completely rewrite something, then set your original manuscript aside and write something entirely new. At a later date, you can reexamine your original work, and then decide if it needs a major or minor overhaul.

That makes sense to me. I've found it so difficult to try to rewrite the stories I've written. Sometimes I think that if something needs to be rewritten then it isn't good enough in the first place.

Writing for public consumption is never as easy as putting your thoughts down on paper and saying "Here it is." It's a lot of effort. Having said that, the joy and thrill of seeing your end work in print, and receiving compliments from others who have read your work, are experiences that will make your efforts worthwhile.

I'm sure its great. I will keep trying

Thanks for the info on editing, etc. I've got a LOT of research to do if I hope to get anything published.

Sirona

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit