Help me out? a request for critique on my writing

by Sirona 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Sirona
    Sirona

Hi Everyone

I hope you don't mind me asking, but I know lots of people here so I thought I'd post to ask for your opinions on my most recent short story. I've posted it here on a short story writing website http://www.eastoftheweb.com/uncut/node/view/2370 Honestly I'm looking for constructive critisism - its OK to be harsh.

The story is a bit humourous and is less than 1100 words, so it's a quick read. If you are really kind, you could comment over on that site too.

I've always wanted to write more and ultimately get something published, and this is a way for me to try to improve and learn. If there are any writers out there, I'd like to here from you too!

Thanks in advance.

Sirona

• Valis
    Valis

Cheers and nice writing Sirona.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Gadget
    Gadget

I liked it, especially the second half and the ending.

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

I thought it was clever!! Write more!! I was bummed when it was finished.

My thoughts:

You used "really" too close together in the first two paragraphs and there is one spot where the board doesn't lisp when saying "you're". I thought it was really cool!!!

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Sirona- I liked it, very much. It was a good story, packed into so few words; proof that we don't need to drag on for 5,000 pages (like Stephen King) in order to tell a tale well.

I wondered about the girl. Why did he care, what was different about her? And, like one of the posters on that site, I thought a brief description of her (and the other's) reactions to the Ouija's statement would have worked nicely.

Good grammar, good spelling, good sentence structure....Sorry, I work as an English and writing tutor, and can't help noticing those things. I'd enjoy reading more of your work, especially a longer piece that would allow you more room to develop the plot. This is definitely a piece you can be proud of, and a pleasure to read. Thank you for sharing this with us!

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

I thought it was super groovy!!!

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

As a published writer myself, I want to congratulate you for putting your story in print. A lot of people dream of writing, but I salute anyone who actually takes the time to put their thoughts into words. There are many talented, eloquent people on this board who have this ability, and I hope that, by your example, more will take the opportunity to enter the writing field, even if only as a hobby, if not a vocation.

Your storyline is unique. This is a mark of a good writer. So many stories have been rehashed that it takes someone with a special talent to come up with a work as unusual and entertaining as yours is. It is difficult to critique your work simply because it is so short, but I would say that you're off to a fine start. Perhaps the only criticism I might have is that you could have told us a bit more about the characters in the story through more vivid description, but in a short story that is not always an absolute necessity.

By the way, in case you aren't aware of my novel, it's called Squares, Triangles, and Saucers, and is a story about a young man who is abducted by extraterrestrials while on his way to the Caribbean to commit suicide. If you're interested, you can read more about my book at: http://www.rationallunacy.com/write/scifi.html

Best of success with your writing, and once again, congratulations!

• Sirona
    Sirona

Oh. I don't know what to say apart from "Thanks!"

Valis, Gadget - I'm really glad you enjoyed it. It means a lot to me to know that people simply like the story even if they're not looking at the grammar etc.

Slipnslidemaster - thanks a lot for the input. I have actually revised the story slightly (although i can't remember now whether I changed the two "really"s - doh).

Insomniac - thanks a lot, as I say I've revised the story to include the girl's reaction and a bit more info about why Jack is so protective of her. I'm really glad that you mentioned the grammar and sentence structure, that means a lot to me because noone has actually mentioned it apart from you! It helps to know that people are not thinking "good idea, shame about the words/ grammar"

Sanfranciscojim - I can't express how you've encouraged me to carry on writing. I am also really surprised that a published writer would compliment my work! Do you remember starting to write "seriously" for the first time? I am often filled with doubt. The fact is that this story is my second short story in as many weeks, and what drove me to actually get on with it was a desire to simply write something even if people didn't enjoy it (that and the fact that I just got a new laptop, so it's now so easy and enjoyable to sit and type). The first story wasn't up to scratch in my opinion, but I will be going back to revise it (I'm letting it lie for a bit because I want to look it over with fresh eyes).

Like everyone in the universe my aim is to get something published. Short stories are a good first step.

Sirona

PS. Anyone who hasn't read the story - please read it and give me your opinion. I don't care if you're a writer or not because the more feedback I get the better!

• Sirona
    Sirona

sanfransiscojim - I forgot to mention that I will definately be reading your book (if I can get a copy)!

Sirona

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Good twist!!!

I enjoyed it. Thanks.
    You should write more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit