touched by a circuit overseer

by in a new york bethel minute 23 Replies latest social humour

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Unfortunately, as a kid, I wasn't familiar with the word "circuit", so I interpreted it as "circus" overseer. Visions of a fun filled week at the circus morphed into the gruesome reality of more and longer meetings in itchy dress clothes. Thanks mom.

I feel you're pain... when I was a kid my mom would announce that she was going to "The Fair" shortly before leaving. For years I begged and begged for her to take me... but she always refused! I never understood why she would not let me go to a place as fun as The Fair.

Then one fateful day arrived... she let me go!

I was VERY VERY VERY disappointed to find that "The Fair" was just a damn department store.

• jgnat
    jgnat

This was my children's favorite hymn growing up.

http://www.tanbible.com/tol_sng/surelythepresenceofthelord.htm

Only later did I find out that they thought they were gonna get PRESENTS, like Santa Claus. Boy, were they disappointed when I explained this to them.

• gumby
    gumby

First of all......I gotta say that every time I see your moniker....I'm gonna be thinkin about..............???

i wish i could remember exactly what he said, but it was related to the fact that i had this "peach fuzz" on my chin and i must be out of high school cuz im old enough to grow facial hair. but as he was saying his little remark, he reached up (he was still seated) and grabbed my goatie and rubbed it with his fingers.

If he did that to me....NOW......not when I was a chickenpoop dub........I woulda scratched his bald head and said "Jesus -Key- rist! ...how long have you been an ugly baldheaded bastard dude"?

Gumby

• Nico Maye
    Nico Maye

seems elders love commenting on hair, clothes, and what is right and what is wrong. where does it say in the bible that your hair and clothes must be a certain way.?

• wednesday
    wednesday

some older people touch more than they should. Seems years ago, women and children were just property and some people just went around touching children/women like they were there own children./wives. Older people will pinch cheeks, stroke hair, and pat shoulders, pat butts, etc., Genreally it is not meant inappropritely, but times have changed and people are educated about improper touching. I touch my grandchildren, as form of affection. But i would not dream of touching someone elses child. I think Gumby had a great idea, if u could have thought quick enough.

• avishai
    avishai

I had a guy grab me when I was about, oh, 24. He said, "Boys, it's time to go back in, the session is starting." Well, i was just visiting a couple friends, I had been "out" for a few years, so I said, "No". He grabbed my shoulder, hard, and said, "No, you need to go in now!" So i grabbed his arm, twisted, it, and told him if he ever touced me again, he'd lose it." I walked off, and that was the last jw event i ever attended.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

This C/O was way out of line , even according to WT instructions . I can recall being warned at elders meetings time and again never to touch"Inapropriately", although the idea was the sisters, ie do not give "Brotherly hugs"

As Wednesay said, times change and we are more aware now of the wrongness of of touching people. You would have been well advised to react adversely , perhaps push him away, to teach him a lesson

Talking of counsel for dress etc. there is nothing worse. I can look back and cringe at a couple of things that I remember saying to people. (Men) I can only say that I meant it kindly at the time, but it sure sounds bad in hindsight. Put it down to Institutional thinking and training ... Sorry!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Nothing like touching a person or violating their personal space to intimidate. Classic bullying tactic.

• Quotes
    Quotes

Ditto to what Elsewhere said.

Frankly it would have been fair, and funny, for you to have immediately touch his face in the exact same way (either on the chin, or perhaps on his moustache). It could have been an interesting study. Oh well.

Clearly this person lacks what is, arguably, the MOST BASIC social skill in North American: respecting others personal space.

What a dweeb. But again I say, with Overseers like this, we apostates have less work to do!!!

• sf
    sf

Hey TazRuss,

Very funny:

They like touching..it seems to give them a feeling of being superior to u...Once an elder came up to me and rubbed my sideburns saying" whats this"? He is very overweight so i felt like rubbing his tummy saying "whats this"
    LOLOLOLOL!! If it were me, I'd have grabbed his crotch and asked, "what's THIS"? sKally

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit