WT June 1, 2001 (part II)

by Defender 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Defender
    Defender

Greetings orbison

Actually, I recently moved here. I used to live in Montreal and later in Toronto.

• orbison
    orbison

greetings defender
    where is "here"
    email me if you like at [email protected]
    thanks
    wendy

• neyank
    neyank

Hello Defender,

Well written and thought out post.

Thanks,
    neyank

• thinker
    thinker

Hi Defender,
    Concerning the 1931 name change to "Jehovah's Witnesses":
    1931 [New name of "Jehovah's Witnesses" adopted, to "distinguish" themselves from "dissenters" and "Christians"] {WT 1931 278-9} [How then could any reference to "Christ" have been dropped when the declaration had been made that "We always refuse to be called by any other name than that of our Head [Christ]. Christians continually claiming that there can be no division among those continually led by his Spirit and example as made known through his Word." {WR Mar 1883 458} ?]
    By gradually replacing locally elected elders with his own appointees, he (Rutherford) managed to transform a loose collection of semi-autonomous democratically-run congregations into a tight-knit organizational machine run from his office. Some local congregations broke away, forming such Russellite splinter groups as the Chicago Bible Students, the Dawn Bible Students, and the Laymen's Home Missionary Movement, all of which continue to this day. But most Bible Students remained under his control, and Rutherford renamed them "Jehovah's Witnesses" in 1931, to distinguish them from these other groups.

• Defender
    Defender

Hello thinker

I am not sure, was this question directed to me?

[How then could any reference to "Christ" have been dropped when the declaration had been made that "We always refuse to be called by any other name than that of our Head [Christ]. Christians continually claiming that there can be no division among those continually led by his Spirit and example as made known through his Word." {WR Mar 1883 458} ?]

• New Eyes
    New Eyes

thank you defender

• Gozz
    Gozz
    Additionally, if increase and growth is a sign of God?s blessing, then how do we interpret the latest decrease of JWs numbers in several countries around the world?

Tough. Looking at the numbers from around the world, it does seem like the waters are drying up in the JW pool.

Interesting write-up, defender. Where's Defender?

BTW, Part 1 is here

• avengers
    avengers

Hey Freddy. Is this the same you?

I have a Watchtower for you.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

LOL @ avengers!

Defender this is excellent material and thanks to Gozz for bbtt both part I and 2.

I'm seriously thinking about sending the whole articles in mass emails to my JW friends and family.......annonymously of course! I doubt they would really read it but who knows who is having just the right doubts.........

Kate

• caligirl
    caligirl

Thank you for the info. Very well done! Thanks for taking the time write this up. Very clear & concise summary of how ridiculous the whole witness organization is! I wish I could get my parents to read it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit