Treating Fibromyalgia with a Serotonin Uptake

by Sentinel 17 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

I've been suffering with Fibromyalgia since about 1986, but was not diagnosed until 1997. For the longest time the only course of treatment (since there is no cure) is the use of strong pain killers. I opted not to take that route. Someone recently posted something on here regarding this malady, and it got me to thinking and doing more research. What I found was quite interesting.

It seems that after a decade of the medical profession taking this illness seriously, they have been able to do extensive research as to why people get this. What I found is that nearly every patient also has a history of extreme stress/great highs and lows with depression/AND a substantially lower amount of seratonin in the chemistry of the brain. This chemical controls a persons feelings of "wellbeing". I researched the medications on the market that "increase serotonin" in the brain chemistry and there are quite a few. Ironically, these medications are really on the market to treat disorders such as depression/anxiety/obsessive-compulsive behavior, etc. They are usually taken at larger dosages for those problems. However, in low doses of 5-10 mg per day, studies have proven that they also increase the level of serotonin in the brain, thus helping paitents who suffer from Fibromyalgia. Most, however, have side affects that I wouldn't want to deal with. The one remaining, with very low initial side affects, was Prozac.

I made an appointment with my doctor yesterday and am now beginning treatment. It will last for six to twelve months. The brain is amazing. Once it "relearns" and "re-establishes" the serotonin levels, the need for continued medication can many times be discontinued altogether. I'm keeping a daily diary beginning today. I am so hopeful that I will find some help in dealing with the Fibromyalgia. That would be wonderful.

If anyone has had any experience in this arena, I'd sure like to hear your stories and opinions.

/<

• FMZ
    FMZ

Be sure to let us know how it goes. I have a very close friend that suffers from fibromyalgia and depression. I am not sure if she takes SSRIs for either, but I will be sure to let her know about this interesting research. Thanks!

FMZ

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Thanks for your reply. I was surprised that my own doctor had not discussed this treatment with me. When I went to him inquiring about the latest treatments for Fibromyalgia, he brought up all that I had researched and knew about everything.

Guess we have to make ourselves aware and let our doctors know what's on our mind. Apparently, they are very busy being physicians and can't always make application of new information with patients unless they are approached. My doctor was very excited about the prospect of beginning the new serotonin therapy with me. Wish I had done my research sooner.

I will definitely keep you updated. Fibromyalgia is one very nasty thing to have to live with. I feel like I have a bit of hope now for at least some improvement in my overall quality of life. I tried for so long to do it all on my own, but the stress of not being able to manage my wellbeing physically was wearing me down.

/<

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I have read alot of books on fibromyalgia, as I have had it since before it even had a name and was recognized by the Arthritis foundation. I also have mood swings, that go from extream energy and wellbeing, to down rigth terrible depression. I have the good old arthritis , had that little goody since I was a child. Add migraines and TMJ, so I have days ,,,if I were a horse I should be shot.......lol.

Today is one of those days where the fibro hits and alot of it is because of the great weather changes we have been having since yesterday. We have had tornadoes, hail, flooding, all kinds of storms firing up and it really does affect my body. I seem to be hyper sensitive to any kind of change in the weather , warm to cold, and storms.

I take Klonapin at nite , a very , very low dose and it keeps the fibromyaligia at bay, but not completly out of the picture. I always have stress,,,,,,,( 3 kids....lol) , so I guess I am doing the best I can.

Since leaving the borg, my symptoms have improved greatly, since I have let go of alot of guilt and I can take the time to rest or not push myself when I need too.

With FMS.....you need to get into a very deep sleep, which at times is very hard for me to do. The muscles need time to completly rest. Sometimes drugs like Prozac and interfer with that stage 4 sleep. The best med I ever took for FMS , and other pain problems was the old tricyclic antidepressant Elavil. It will make you sleep that is for sure, even on low doses, but.........the perfect drug,,,,made me gain weight and lots of it. So I wrote that off , because a few pounds I can handle but not 20!!! I have to be very careful of weight gain as my dad is diabetic and I have been borderline since I was 25.

Interestingly the books say a low carb diet is very good because it helps with insulin balance and helps with all the problems that the sugars can cause.

Moderate exercise is recommending, like slow walking, or riding a bike, but not jogging as it can put too much stress on muscles. Swimming in a heated pool is the best, but I have no access to that.

I hate mornings because I am always sore and slow to get around, so I take my mornings easy and that has been great for me. I am a stay at home mom, and I am not a JW,,,,,,,,hehe, so I can do that.

I wish you well on your treatment for fibromyalgia and just remember when the flares comes, they will also go, when you have some measure of control over them. Sometimes when we are in so much pain, we think it will never end, sometimes I went days in excruciating pain, and most doctors will not give you narcotics for FMS. I agree you shouldnt take pain pills for ever attack, but it seems only humane when you are hurting so bad,,,,,,,you can not function to have a doctor to work with you on pain treatment. I have taken the muscle relaxer Soma, and it works good, but doctors are leary of giving you that too, as some have abused it.

If I can think of anything eles I will let you know what has worked for me. But I think slowing down , resting, warm baths, doing little things for yourself, like a nice cup of tea , relaxing even if you should be doing something eles are vital to getting over a flare. There is no cure for this, it is only keeping it under control. A big burden was lifted off my shoulders when I found out it this syndrome I have really had a name, and it was real, not just me going even crazier.........lol.

Good Luck,,,,,,,and hugs to you,,,,,,,,,,Dede

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Oh Dede, you and I have much in common. What a wonderful post you did here. Though I am no longer raising children and am past fifty, I've had this just like you "before it even had a name". I know my experiences in life have been challenging, and I have not always handled them well. I force myself because of my compulsive nature, and I feel like I have to be in control all the time--I have to perform--I have to be there--I have to, have to, have to. That is a great pressure to carry personally. They say we inherit much of this, and I can truthfully say that it does run in my family history on both sides. Double whammy!! Thanks mom and dad!!

I too am very sensitive to medications, weather and "environment". Most things we cannot control. I have done so much to manage myself. I've gone the whole route of exercise, meditation, regular sleep times, yoga, etc.--and although this has helped me, I have to admit, I felt pretty helpless that my quality of life was in such bad shape. I suffer mostly from periods of great anxiety, especially so with my husbands surgery coming up, etc. I will be the main caretaker, and we have only one family member close by. It seems though that my life has been full of very stressful events.

There is great encouragement to be found, in my spirituatl connection, and with my connection to folks here on this forum. I would have to say that I have been a "sufferer" in this life, faced with many chaotic situations. Being abandoned and shunned should never happen, and for us, I believe it is just an added burden we bear. Some people just "feel" things more. I am very sensitive by nature, but in turn, very caring, loving and compassionate. We are sometimes the people who get stepped on and taken for granted the most.

The most potent pain medication I ever received from a doctor was Celebrex during an attack right when we had planned a vacation. It worked great, but then I had to go off it after two weeks. The balance of the time, like you, I endure excrutiating pain. My TMJ was so bad for a period of time, and kept recurring that I could barely talk or brush my teeth or eat--so I understand how painful that is. I do work full-time, and fortunately I have a job where I can sit during the day- I'm up and down, but I don't have to do manual labor. Unless the pain is lodged in my legs and back, this is a good job. Deep sleep is very rare with me. It is almost like a maricle, when I wake up, renewed and refreshed...perhaps once or twice in a year, if that. But, I'm not generally one to let things bring me to a hault. I am stubborn that way. Mostly, it is a fear inside, that if I do stop, I will never get going again....

Please keep a connection to me through the PM here. Today I notice that I have added weakness and tiredness, but am functioning fine from the first dose this morning. This should abate after a few days. By the time of his surgery on the 19th, I should be doing much better with my serotonin levels. Let's hope so!

Take care of yourself, as you have young children and I know how it is to be a busy mother. Mother's have to keep going no matter what! Be good to yourself. Sounds like you are managing your situation in a good and positive way. (we aren't crazy after all. )

Karen

• talesin
    talesin

Hey folks !

Me too. Was diagnosed in my late twenties with 'fibrocytis' (what they called it then). The bloody meds do nothing for me. grrrrrrrr And believe me, I've tried them all, over the years *sigh*.

Have you read the information about trauma as related to FM? Man, the books I have read on this subject, could fill a bookcase by themselves.

It's funny, after I read about the trauma connection a couple of years ago (had a BAD flareup, 6 months I couldn't even lift a cup of coffee with one hand), I started tracing my 'flare-ups' and found they all happened after major traumas. Car accidents, miscarriages, marriage break-up. Also, lots of major trauma as a small child, and I wonder if this is what caused my FM (I've had it since preschool). For me, working on my post-traumatic stress issues really helped a lot, and now am fairly high-functioning.

What are your thoughts on this?

Also, I'm curious about something. Since I was a small child, I had spatial problems with my hands. Difficulty in writing & messy penmanship, sometimes they hurt for no reason, the motor skills are 'off'. At other times, they work fine. This is, apparently, one of the FM symptoms found in children. When I read about this, I thought, that explains it, after all these years! Did you experience similar difficulties, or did the FM kick in at a later age?

Also, one point; I have found that melatonin helps with my sleeping, but it's not available in Canada. It's legal to own a personal supply, but I can't order it from the States via mail (contraband, you know ). I have to have someone 'bring it back' when they travel across the border.

ps. chocolate is an excellent source of seratonin (any excuse will do heheheh)

tal

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Hi Talesin,

As a matter of fact, I have also noticed that my "flare-ups" can be traced to "traumatic life events" (death, suicide, loss of child, abandonment, shunning, labeling, separation, new job, ---just stress, good and bad. For the most part, until this suicide event occured, I was doing well physically. I did not suffer from FMS. But, when it hit me, I didn't know what it was, and apparently neither did the doctors. I'm so glad it has gain recognition and is accepted as a valid illness. Being in so much dibilitating pain, and not having a reason for it is very disconcerting to say the least.

I am a detailed controled person and when things are going great, I'm usually doing okay, but when something happens, my anxiety level streaks out of proportion. Even when I was a child, I was anxious, but as far as I know, I never had any problems with writing or schooling. I did however, believe I was two people when I was young. I was the quiet little girl, who did as she was told and never caused trouble, and then I was the more experimental girl, who did quite extraordinary things and was not timid or shy. I would fluxuate between the two. The outgoing girl would present herself "outside" of the home. This is when I was quite young--as far back as first grade--and then I believe that confusion was replaced with a different form of coping.

I believe the one traumatic event that catapulted me into FMS was my first husband's suicide and the subsequent loss of my only child to "his" parents custody. I changed during that time and lost confidence in myself. I became very depressed and sad. I felt sorry for myself and cried a lot in those days. I was at the same time dealing with the shunning from my parents, and I felt like I was drowning. I went through periods of time where I lived with only about four hours of exhaustive sleep every night. I sought help from doctors who "overprescribed" medications, and I became leery of this experimental treatment. I was still very much in the throws of the fear and guilt of the JW event in my life as well. I saw a few counselors along the way--provided by my job--but it wasn't until about fifteen years later, that I got the right counselor, who did a world of good for me for a six month period of time. I would say, that in those sessions, I learned more about "me" and my perceptions of the world around me than ever before. I improved a great deal in all areas of my life. Came out of the fog without medications, and found my spiritual connection. Things seemed to be coming into line, except that I had this FMS malady to deal with.

They say the FMS runs in families, and I would certainly agree. My mother and one of my sisters suffers with it.

I would also agree that chocolate is truly a maricle!!

/<

• talesin
    talesin

Sentinel,

I will call you "survivor" !

This thing with the trauma, stress and FM; it's a chicken-egg thing, but you know, I've come to feel that whatever works for YOU, as they say, is a good thing for us all to keep in mind. There are so many factors that contribute to these types of illness. It's not 'cut and dried', so to speak.

Our health is so individualized, and the FM has so many different effects on people, that sharing information is important; you never know when someone will share an experience that will help.

And yes, thank the g*ddess for chocolate !

*hmmm, think I'll have a couple of 'turtles', now that I think of it, need some meds*

tal

• particlesnwaves5
    particlesnwaves5

I have suffered from fibromyagia for years for the same reasons you stated. Prozac helps depression but I don't think it completely gets rid of the fibromyalgia.

Small doses of Elavil will stop the pain. But they do make me drowsy which I don't like so I save the Elavil for when I can sleep in in the morning. Elavil is relatively cheap too.

Positive affirmations have helped me. I know it sounds weird but when the pain comes I tell my self "I release the need for pain and guilt." over and over and sometimes the pain really does subside. I read somewhere that pain can be the result of guilty feelings. I had some problems with guilt after my husband's death.

I took Zoloft one time. I will never again. It made the pain sssooooo much worse.

I hope your tmt works well!!!!!!!

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

I want us all to be not only "survivors", but so much more. I want us all to have improved quality of life. I am also a great believer in positive affirmation and healing; but there are times when we need more help and we must get it for ourselves. Prozac is not a cure for FM, because there is no cure. But, increasing serotonin levels will be a good thing and it will help my overall anxiety. Usually, I can manage to deal with one or the other, but together, the package is just too heavy.

There is so much information available--and scary sites that condeme Prozac as an evil drug that is very dangerous. I agree that the treatment is very individual in nature. Doctors bear a responsiblity to screen patients carefully and monitor such medications. Some medications I would never take because of the risks and the side affects. I don't tolerate medicine very well, even with over the counter stuff. I have a low tolerance. I don't want to take one medication and have it cause something that I need to take another pill for.

I think we all just want to feel better, but we don't want to compromise ourselves and our choices in doing so. (Curiously, our adrenal glands play a big part in all of this as well.) If we constantly react to stress and adrenalin is constantly being produced, this can greatly affect our health. Our body operates on a rythem of cycles that most are not even aware of. And, we are affected by the atmosphere, the earth's magnetic field, planets, moon, sun, etc.

/<

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit