Sports and JW's (allowing kids to play)

by confusedjw 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• blondie
    blondie

A sidepoint, the WTS has numerous rules regarding casual sports in the congregation.

It can't be a large group (!!!)

Everyone gets to (must) play from the 3-year-old to the 99 year old

No keeping score

Don't try to win

Don't play when you could be in out in field service

No non-JWs can play, not even family members of JWs (bad association)

You can't hire a gym

People from various congregations can't get together and play congregation against congregation

No congregation leagues

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

Thats so funny, My fondest memories were Sunday afternoon softball games where several congregations would met and we would play a game, keeping score, et all. Also when I served in Bethel we had leagues, 360 Furman, Factory, and Press room all had leauges, and we played each other on Saturdays beer flowing in NYC public park. In fact we played at the park on Atantic Avenue and Furman St where there is a entrance for the BQE to go to Staten Island. The factory guys played on York St underneath the Manhattan Bridge.

• Flash
    Flash
    ...the WTS has numerous rules regarding casual sports in the congregation.

After reading your list Blondie the angry knot returned to my stomach!

I am SO SICK of the narrowness and the high mindedness of the Superfine Apostles/GB!!!

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, homey, I knew about that. It just highlights the hypocrisy.

I forgot one (actually used in a special needs talk)

No pickup games with "wordly" people (bad association)

(sorry, flash, I have some pepso)

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

This isn't really about sports but it reminded of my experiences in the school orchestra.

So, the time came for the annual concert, which of course happened at Christmas time. Part of the programme was a medley of Christmas carols. I will never forget sitting on the stage pretending to play my instrument during a performance of these carols, thinking that any note I blew was ruining my chances of the wonderful paradise earth!

Looking back - how ridiculous!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit