Sports and JW's (allowing kids to play)

by confusedjw 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• undercover
    undercover
    Those WT bastards, when I was there I noticed they had all kinds of sporting equipment and courts for the bethelites, it's a wonder they even know how to use them.

The Bethelites play some very rough, competitive, street style game of basketball. I couldn't believe it. We were so used to getting "counseled" about how competitive our pick-up games got and how we should not take it so serious. Then I visited Bethel and saw those guys going at it. They took it serious and they played for blood. I guess when you've got no other life outside of making books, riding on the train to your KH two boroughs over and you can't see girls, then you have to release that tension somewhere.

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Hi confusedjw,

My daughter's ex boyfriend, a very nice, rather confused JW teenager, has been heavily involved in school sports. He played school softball, volleyball and waterpolo and has done track. He is an amazing natural athlete. He was not allowed to play community hockey, but did play pickup type games with "the brothers". He was almost teary once when he told me how much he would have liked to play organized hockey.

This boy is not baptized. His father is an elder and something much higher as well, I believe. He gives his son a rather long leash, as long as he still goes to meetings and mostly hangs out with other JWs. This same boy is also playing in a local rock band with other JW teens, I hear, and competes in "Battle of the Band" competitions.

Sports has done nothing but good things for that boy. He lived a complete double life, and very few of his teammates had much if any idea of the implications of him being JW. He is an honor student. As far as I know, he is a good kid, and not involved with drugs or sex or much drinking. I don't know if things have changed since he has involved with the rock band, other than I think being in a band makes you a girl magnet, and I suspect he would enjoy that.

I have to say, these parents are handling this boy with a lot of smarts. If they tied him down too hard, he would really rebel. This way he gets to do some of what he wants, and still remains very connected with the JW community. I'm sure that they hope eventually he will settle down and get baptized and meet a nice JW girl, and fall completely into line. Perhaps his exposure to the outside world has opened his eyes, but I really have no idea. He wasn't questioning the party line much, the last time I spoke to him, a long time ago.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Honestly, that was one of the motivators that got me "out". Although I was dissillusioned with the whole sorry mess, a good part of it was the ban on sports. I was very successful in athletics so getting free was not just an intellectual dissadmiration, I wanted to play ball!! As luck would have it, a basketball scholarship got me into college and once I had a taste, it was onward and upward from there.

One of the funniest things when I was in about the sixth grade, they used to get schools to recruit for selling magazine subscriptions. The class with the highest sales got some prize.. I would skip going out in service to go sell Time, Newseek, Redbook and the like. The word got back to the Cong. Serv. and he came unglued. I told my older brother that the people I called on were much more interested in Good House Keeping than the Watchtower and Awake. He agreed but told on me anyway..

carm

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Where did you play college ball?

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

It's not as unheard of as it used to be. I've known JW kids that played high school football, basketball, soccer, golf, tennis and some that were in track. I've also known kids in band and orchestra, and a few that were in plays and that kind of thing. Not a lot, but some.

• hybridous
    hybridous

All of us (my family, not the whole congregation youth) played HS sports, did HS drama, did band...etc...

Mom was reasonable, in that regard. I think she kept the elders off her back by making sure we were all 'pillars' of the congregation.

All except me are still witnesses. I guess it's not as dangerous to the membership as the WT thinks it is.

• blondie
    blondie

hybridous, I wonder where your father was in all of this? If he wasn't a JW and lived with you, the elders would have backed off more since there were no "privileges" they could take from him and he was the "head" of the family. If he was out of the picture totally, then it factors in that there are few "privileges" the elders can use to manipulate women as they do men in the WTS besides your mother being no wuss.

Blondie

• hybridous
    hybridous

Blondie, my parents split when we were very young. Mom raised us by herself. What you said makes sense. What the heck kind of 'status' are the elders gonna take away from a single JW woman that hasn't been taken away already?!

I really do resent the JW upbringing, but I'm glad Mom was a little more liberal than most. Probably had something to do with her being single - no idiot JW husband to lord it over us all, trying to prove he's the shit. When I look at the elder's kids I grew up with, I really do appreciate the fact that it could've been much worse.

Mom also held up college as a goal for us, and we're all either in or graduated. A rare breed, my Mom is. Maybe if there were a few more like her, this thing would look less like a cult.

• Flash
    Flash
    Mom also held up college as a goal for us, and we're all either in or graduated.

Your Mom is a smart woman. Just remember thinking people are not welcome as Witnesses.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

Growing up I was a great pitcher but in the 80's it was discouraged for JW youth to participate in after school activities. Even my Father felt I should have pursued a career in baseball because I had a strong throwing arm. Should of could of thats the story of my life. Thanks Jehovah, hope you like my crappy life!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit