The temptation of Jesus

by Leolaia 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

In Q 4:1-13 (Luke 4:1-13), we have the well-known story of Jesus' temptation by the Devil, which appears to be a haggadic legend derived largely from texts in Deuteronomy 6 and 8. Here is a list of parallels provided by Dale Allison:

1. Jesus is "led" in the wilderness (4:1); Israel is "led" in the wilderness (Deut. 8:2).
    2. Jesus is in the wilderness for 40 days and there tempted (4:2); Israel is in the wilderness for 40 years and there tempted (Deut. 8:2, 4).
    3. Jesus is tempted by hunger (4:2-3); Israel is tempted by hunger (Deut. 8:3).
    4. Jesus is God's "son" (4:3, 9); Israel is God's "son" (Deut. 8:5).
    5. "A person does not live by bread alone" (4:4); "A person does not live by bread alone" (Deut. 8:3).
    6. "Worship the Lord your God, and serve only him" (4:8); "Fear the Lord your God, and serve only him" (Deut. 6:13).
    7. "You will not tempt the Lord your God" (4:12); "You will not tempt the Lord your God" (Deut. 6:16).

Tertullian (De Baptisma 20) also recognized that Jesus here was repeating Israel's history in the wilderness. In addition to replaying the journey through the wilderness, the narrative also appears to present Jesus as one like Moses. The Devil took Jeses up to a mountain and shows him the kingdoms of the world (Q 4:5-7), and this seems to be a reminiscence of the story that Moses went to the top of Mt. Pisgah/Nebo, looked in all directions, and saw the land he would not enter (Deut. 3:27; 32:48-52; 34:1-4). 2 Baruch 76:3-4 similarly says: ?Go up to the top of this mountain and all the countries of the earth will pass before you, as well as the likeness of the inhabited world? This will happen after forty days? (cf. 84:2, which alludes to Deut. 33:19-20). In both Q and Deut., a supernatural figure (God or Satan) shows to a savior-hero (Moses or Jesus) the entirety of a realm, but the hero does not then inherit that realm.

There is also very close verbal similarity between Q 4:5-7 and Deut. 34:1-4 (LXX):

Deuteronomy: kai edeixen auto pasan ten gen ? doso
    Q/Luke: edeixen auto pasas tas basileias ? doso

Jewish haggada has also greatly expanded this vision; Sifre Deut. on 34:1-9 tells us that Moses was granted a vision of ?all the world? (cf. also Mek. 17:14-16). We may also note that in Jewish tradition, Satan was with Israel in the wilderness (Exod. Rab. 43:1), or inside the golden calf (Pirque R. El. 45), or worshipped by the Israelites tempted by idolatry (1 Enoch 99:7; Ascension of Isaiah 2:1-7).

We can thus see how another episode in the synoptic gospels was inspired by the OT.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Nice post. Others NT midrash about John and Jesus utilized the Samuel, Samson,Daniel and other stories as inspiration.

Don't be upset but I have to say that the Zoroaster and Buddah stories seem to have contributed to the temptation tale as well. These would have been very attractive to Mystic Jews and Gnostics familiar with these stories of devils tempting the saviors. It sems that the convergence of these Jewish and foreign themes are what made the new cult and it's stories so attractive to a wide audience.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

"which appears..." "also appears..." "this seems..." "is also very close..."

Wow, a lot of suppositions! A leap of Faith?

Using your standards, one could believe that the OT events pointed to JC?s events as the Messiah...

PP:

The battle of good and evil as a reoccurring struggle throughout history, confirms what the Bible teaches us. Thanks!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Thi Chi

"which appears..." "also appears..." "this seems..." "is also very close..."

Or the strange sound of intellectual honesty... soooo unusual in religious matters!

I remember it sounded very strange to many JWs also when the WT published the Commentary on the Letter of James, for in a number of cases the interpretation was just left open: the text may mean this... or that... That was a short parenthesis in the WT long history of blind assertions, but from this time I learnt to appreciate and enjoy it.

The battle of good and evil as a reoccurring struggle throughout history, confirms what the Bible teaches us.
    At least you enlist Zoroaster and Buddha on the good side... that's not so common amongst Christian champions!
  • Leolaia
    Leolaia

ThiChi....I hedge my posts a lot, just to make sure I'm not stating things as facts, though I probably don't need to, since literary dependence in this case is clear. How do we know this is a case of literary dependence? Because the allusions in the Temptation narrative are all to just one book of the Torah (Deuteronomy), and aside from the vision on the mountain are all clustered to one small section of the book and are even told mostly in the same order. There are verbal parallels, where again the wording has been influenced by the Deuteronomy text (and not the original Hebrew, but a Greek translation), and even a few formal quotations which should remove all doubt on the dependence. According to the rules of literary analysis, the text fully qualifies as an instance of literary borrowing. So whether you believe the story in Q really happened, it is still clear the author of Q used Deuteronomy to tell and phrase the story. And it isn't the original Hebrew texts that is used to inspire the wording of the story, but the Greek translation which worded things a particular way. So in one sense, we can readily see that it isn't simply "OT events" in the Hebrew Bible that foretold the story that then Q relates, but rather a specific Greek translation written hundreds of years later that was an immediate source of such allusions as Jesus seeing the kingdoms of the world from a mountain, which follows directly the wording in the Greek. And it isn't just the use of a much later Greek translation, but also extrabiblical Jewish tradition that is used in Q, such as Satan being present with the Israelites in the wilderness which is nowhere stated as such in Deuteronomy or the OT. This is readily explained, most simply, by saying that the author of Q is simply constructing his narrative by borrowing from Deuteronomy (mostly one specific section of the book) and extrabiblical tradition.

Now if you know a little bit about haggadah, midrash, apocalyptic literature, and so forth, you can see that this is far from unusual in Jewish writing. We find it time and time again, in both extrabiblical texts and biblical ones as well. To use an example from the OT, the fleeing Jonah lies down and falls fast asleep (wyskb wyrdm) in Jonah 1:5. In 1 Kings 19:5, another prophet, Elijah, who is also fleeing, lies down and falls asleep (wyskb wyysd). This by itself would not be sufficient proof that Jonah is recalling the story of Elijah, except that three chapters later, Jonah contains lines that strongly recall 1 Kings 19:4:

1 Kings 19:4: Elijah "went a day's journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a solitary broom tree. He asked that he might die saying (wys'l 't-npsw lmwt wy'mr), 'It is enough; now, O Yahweh, take away my life for ('th yhwh qch npsy ky) I am no better than my ancestors".

Jonah 4:3: "And now, O Yahweh, please take my life from me, for ('t-npsy mmny ky w'th yhwh qch-n') it is better for me to die than to live".

Jonah 4:8: Jonah "asked that he die, saying (wys'l 't-npsw lmwt wy'mr), 'It is better for me to die than to live".

There is also a broader thematic correspondence between Jonah and Elijah: both are dejected, disillusioned prophets who, while sitting beneath a plant, ask to die and have a dialogue with God. There is even a coincidence of numbers. Elijah first takes a day's journey into the wilderness (1 Kings 19:4), and then a 40-day journey (1 Kings 19:8), whereas Jonah fortells Ninevah's destruction 40 days after his day's journey into the city (Jonah 3:4). There are other correspondences that I won't get into, but all this is sufficient to show that the Jonah story is literarily dependent on the Elijah story in 1 Kings. The Elijah story was certainly not a prophecy of Jonah that was fulfilled in Jonah; it is simply a case of motifs and even dialogue from one story being copied and used to construct a different story about someone else. The story of Jesus and the fig tree in Mark 11:12-22, on the other hand, appears to be influenced by the story in Jonah of the curse declared on Jonah's castor-oil plant (Jonah 4:5-10 ). Jonah was in ill spirits because God did not attack Ninevah as he had warned and God made a castor-oil plant to grow over his head to give him shade and soothe his temper. The story continues: "But at dawn the next day, God arranged that a worm would attack the castor-oil plant -- and it withered (apexeranthe)" (Jonah 4:6; LXX). The story in Mark relates how Jesus cursed a fig tree and then, "as they passed by in the morning, they saw the fig tree withered away (exerantai, the same root as apexeranthe in Jonah) to its roots" (Mark 11:21).

And neither are these isolated incidents. Dale Allison has a whole book on the intertextuality between the OT and Q, JD Crossan has written extensively on the intertextuality in the Passion narrative, and so forth. I have previously written on the whole story of Judas Iscariot and the arrest of Jesus draws on OT passages [1], how the hand-washing scene with Pilate draws on Deuteronomy and Psalm 26 [2], how the story of Jesus as an exorcist draws on language about Moses from Exodus and extrabiblical tradition [3], how the story of the Faithful and Wise Servant draws directly on the story of Joseph from Genesis [4], and how the stories of the Miracle at Cana and the Woman at the Well in John 2, 4 draw on OT motifs surrounding Isaac, Jacob, and Moses [5]. Some interesting parallels in the latter example:

"When all Egypt began to feel the famine, the people cried to Pharaoh for food. Then Pharaoh told all the Egyptians: 'Go to Joseph and do what he tells you (ho ean eipe humin poiesate).' " (Genesis 41:55; LXX)

"When the wine gave out, the mother of Jesus said to him, 'They have no wine'... His mother said to the servants, 'Do whatever he tell you (ho ti an lego humin poiesate).' " (John 2:3, 5)

"He also performed (epoiese) the signs (ta semeia) before the people, and they believed (episteusen ). And when they heard that the Lord was concerned about them and had seen their misery, they bowed down and worshipped.... And when the Israelites saw the great power of the Lord displayed (epoiese) against the Egyptians, the people feared the Lord and believed in him (episteusan eis auton) and in Moses his servant." (Exodus 4:30-31; 14:31)

"This was the first of the signs (ton semeion) Jesus performed (epoiesen) in Cana of Galilee, and manifested his glory, and his disciples believed in him (episteusan eis auton).... Many other signs (semeia) Jesus also performed (epoiesen) in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book; but these have been written that you may believe (pisteuete) that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God." (John 2:11; 20:30-31)

"I will strike the water (to hudor) of the river and it shall be changed (metabalei) to blood.... Take your staff and stretch out your hand over the waters (ta hudata) of Egypt, over their rivers and their canals, their reedy places (ta hele auton), and all their reservoirs, and let them become (egeneto) blood throughout the land of Egypt, even down to the contents of every tub and jar (lithois).... [Moses] struck the waters (to hudor) of the river, and all the water (to hudor) in the river changed (metebalen) to blood. The fish in the river died, and the river smelt so foul that the Egyptians found it impossible to drink its water (piein hudor)." (Exodus 7:17, 19-21)

"Now there were six stone water jars (lithinai hudrai) set there.... Jesus said to them, 'Fill the water jars (hudrias) with water (hudatos ).' And they filled them to the brim. And he said to them, 'Draw some out now, and take it to the head waiter.' And they took it to him. And when the head waiter tasted the water (egeusato to hudor) which had become (gegenemenon) wine, and did not know where it came from, but the servants who had drawn the water knew, the headwaiter called the bridegroom." (John 2:7-9)

"In the evening, at the time when the water bearers go down for water (tou hudatos), he made the camels kneel outside the town (tes poleos) near the well (phrear)...[Rebekah] had a water jar (hudrian) on her shoulder. The girl (gunaikos) was very beautiful, and a virgin; no man had touched her. She went down to the well (pegen), filled her water jar (hudrian) and came up again. Running to meet her, the servant said, 'Please give me (potisan me) a little water (hudor) from your water jar (hudrias sou).' She said, 'Drink, my lord (pie kurie),' and she quickly lowered her water jar (hudrian) on her arm and gave him a drink (epotisan)....She quickly emptied her jar into the trough, and ran to the well again to draw (antlesai).... 'I said to her, "Please give me a drink (de potisan me)". Quickly she lowered her water jar (hudrian autes) saying, "Drink (pie su), and I will water your camels too." '.... Isaac, who lived in the Negeb, had meanwhile come into the wilderness of the well (phrear) of Lahai Roi. Now Isaac went walking in the fields as evening fell, and lifting up his eyes (anablepsasa tois ophthalmois) saw camels coming (erkhomenas). And Rebekah lifted up her eyes (anablepsasa tois ophthalmois) and saw Isaac. She jumped down from her camel, and asked the servant, 'Who is that man walking into the fields (eis to pedion ) to meet us?' The servant replied, 'That is my master'; then she took her veil and hid her face. The servant told Isaac the whole story, and Isaac led Rebekah into his tent and he married Rebekah." (Genesis 24:11, 15-19, 45-46, 62-67)

"He left Judea and departed again into Galilee. And he had to pass through Samaria. So he came to a city (eis polin) of Samaria called Sychar, near the parcel of ground that Jacob gave to his son Joseph; and Jacob's well (pege) was there. Jesus, being weary from his journey, was sitting thus by the well (pege). It was about the sixth hour [i.e. 6 pm]. There came (erkhetai) a woman (gune) of Samaria to draw water (antlesai hudor). Jesus said to her, 'Give me a drink (dos moi pein).' For his disciples had gone away to the city to buy food.... She said to him, 'Lord (kurie), you have no bucket (antlema) and the well (phrear) is deep; where then do you get that living water? You are not greater than our father Jacob who gave us the well (phrear), and drank (epien) of it himself, and his sons, and this cattle?' ... So the woman left her water jar (hudrian autes), and went into the city....'Behold, I say to you, open up your eyes (eparate tous ophthalmous humon), and look into the fields (theasasthe tas khoras).' " (John 4:3-8, 11-12, 28, 35)

"When Pharaoh (Pharao) heard (ekouse) of this, he tried to kill (ezetei anelein) Moses, but Moses fled from Pharaoh and went (elthon) to live in Midian, where he sat down (ekathisen) by a well (epi tou phreatos). Now the priest of Midian had seven daughters. They came to draw water (entloun ) and fill the troughs to water their father's sheep. Shepherds came and drove them away, but Moses came to their defense and watered their sheep for them.... So Moses settled with this man, who gave him his daughter Zipporah in marriage ." (Exodus 2:15-17, 21).

"The Pharisees (Pharisaio) heard (ekousan ) that Jesus was gaining and baptizing more disciples than John, although in fact it was not Jesus who baptized, but his disciples. When the Lord learned of this, he left Judea and went back (apelthen ) once more to Galilee. Now he had to go through Samaria. So he came to a town in Samaria called Sychar, near the parcel of ground Jacob gave to his son Joseph, and Jacob's well was there. Jesus, being weary from his journey, sat down (ekathezeto) by the well (epi te pege). It was about the sixth hour. There came a woman of Samaria to draw water (antlesai hudor)." "For this reason the Jews tried harder to kill (mallon ezetoun apokteinai) him." (John 4:1-7; 5:18)

In many of these examples, the allusion is not simply to the events of OT passages but to specific wordings, and it isn't the original Hebrew text that anticipates the gospel wordings but the much later Greek translation. Some of the above examples also draw on extrabiblical tradition, again showing that it isn't the OT events per se that directly influenced the NT text but the literary tradition, both canonical and extracanonical.

And whether you believe that the Temptation in the Wilderness story is historical, you can believe that as a matter of faith, but the historian has certain rules of evidence in determining historicity. And borrowing narrative, dialogue, and specific motifs and details from OT sources and folklore is usually regarded as evidence against historicity, not just in the case of the Jesus but in any study of separating history from legend. Thus, in a separate thread, I showed how the earliest poem on the King Arthur legend incorporated folkloric material from Celtic legend, suggesting that they do not represent events from the life of the historical Arthur (if one existed). Just going by Occam's Razor, we can account for the entirety of the Q Temptation story through allusions and quotations to Deuteronomy and extrabiblical tradition. It is simpler to just regard it as a story that was constructed through OT intertextuality rather say that it was written through OT allusion as well as (1) faithfully representing a historical event wherein all the described events happened, and (2) these events just happened to correspond to both OT events and the way they are described in later translation and characterized in extrabiblical tradition. It's the kind of story that, if it were a case of an ancient Greek romance extensively alluding and quoting the Iliad, a historian would regard as historically doubtful.

• OHappyDay
    OHappyDay

Both OT and NT are Jewish stories. Even the gentiles who accepted Christ became the New Jews, the "spiritual Israel."

There were many "Judaisms" around in the 1st century. It is not unthinkable that that present religous milieu contributed to what is recorded in the NT.

Even the Greek Septuagint, utilized by many NT writers, was a Jewish work.

It's all a Jewish conspiracy!

• Flash
    Flash

...since literary dependence in this case is clear.

There is also a broader thematic correspondence between Jonah and Elijah...

It is simpler to just regard it as a story that was constructed through OT intertextuality rather say that it was written through OT allusion...

Your extensive and detailed explanations in your Thread and Posts go over my head.

It's the kind of story that, if it were a case of an ancient Greek romance extensively alluding and quoting the Iliad, a historian would regard as historically doubtful.

So, ultimately your saying you do not believe the OT accounts are real?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    So, ultimately your saying you do not believe the OT accounts are real?

No...they are real stories from the ancient world, but they include both history and fiction. The OT is an incredibly diverse anthology of writings from ancient Israel and Judah, containing law, poetry, wisdom, prophecy, history, etc. Why not fiction? And what is so bad about fiction, especially stories that communicate religious ideas and truths, that would make them unworthy for inclusion in a nation's literary heritage? We don't reject the stories of Melville, Dickens, Shakespeare, Austen, etc. because they are not historical. It is a modern conceit that requires biblical stories to all be strictly history. Ancient writers did not clearly seperate history from tradition and folklore as we do today. Some books are more historical than others; 2 Kings is quite annalistic and contains much accurate historical information, the same could be said perhaps regarding 1 Kings, Ezra, 1 Maccabees, etc. But in other works, especially representing older traditions, it becomes increasingly difficult to sift reliable historical information from legendary tradition.

• JCanon
    JCanon
    It is a modern conceit that requires biblical stories to all be strictly history. Ancient writers did not clearly seperate history from tradition and folklore as we do today. Some books are more historical than others; 2 Kings is quite annalistic and contains much accurate historical information, the same could be said perhaps regarding 1 Kings, Ezra, 1 Maccabees, etc. But in other works, especially representing older traditions, it becomes increasingly difficult to sift reliable historical information from legendary tradition

Hi Leolaia: You make a good point. The 'Book of Esther" is a good example of where the writer creates a historical work based upon folklore.

What happened was when the Persians revised their chronology and the canonical Ezra/Nehemiah contradicted with it because of the interaction of Nehemiah with Artaxerxes who was now being claimed to be a different king, these works were suppressed and originally replaced with a substitute version of this historical reference called by the name name, no less, "Esdras". But if you compare apocryphal Esdras with Ezra/Nehemiah you'll see the part about Nehemiah and the rebuilding of the walls is left off.

But Nehemiah was a eunuch and Jewish folklore in other writings show him to be extremely effeminate and, in fact, in love with Artaxerxes. One version which I read in a Jewish library at the Holocaust Museum library in Los Angeles which also had other Jewish writings, actually described Nehemiah when he asked to rescue his fellow Jews to be sitting on the lap of Artaxerxes and "batting his eyes" at the king. So the Jews made fun of Nehemiah as a eunuch and being effeminate. Not hard to figure out, therefore, from here where the "Book of Esther" came from and what's it's based upon. Once called "Esdras IV" it was the continuation of Ezra/Nehemiah, only in order to tell the story they divided the history of Nehemiah into two characters, the eunuch side of his character that was folkloricly in love with the king became Esther. Nehemiah's position as the chief cupbearer, which is the same position as the prime minister, was carried my "Mordecai", Nehemiah's actual Babylonian name. They are basically the same story. Both Nehemiah and Esther get bad news from their homeland, panic and use their influence over the king, especially after giving him wine to get a favor in order to save his/her people. Nehemiah's arming the Jews while rebuilding the walls is the basis of the Esther story about the Jews being allowed to take up arms and fight back against their enemies.

Now, here's my question to you. While I agree with you, especially in this case where history and folklore are very definitely combined, but for reasons of historical revisionism, why are the experts more open about these Jewish writings and what they mean instead of simply focussing on the story of Edem or the Flood?

That the problem with these "historical myths" was always an issue with the Jews in later times is noted by 1 Timothy 4:7 which is likely a specific reference to "Esther" when it says: "But turn down false stories which violate what is holy and which old women tell." These false "stories" that old women like to tell, were these popular semi-historic Jewish writings such as the Book of Esther. It "violates what is holy" because the history or other context contradicted the canonical holy writings version of this history. Further, case in point, books like Esther are actually presented as "history" to the casual reader, though actually it is only partially based on history and takes its tone from the folklore of Nehemiah who appears in other works as being in love with Artaxerxes. Of course, it's sure the eunuchs were not having sex with the king (certainly not Nehemiah, anyway) but it seems to suggest these eunuchs traditionally were known to fall in love with their king and thus be quite loyal.

So another part of this problem is why is Biblical scholarship so quick to dismiss the hard to believe historical references, such as the story of the Garden of Eden, belief in Satan and angels and yet they hardly blink an eye at pseudo-historical folklore like the Book of Esther, a book which even got admitted into the canon after a few revisions by the 3rd Century AD (i.e. the NT Bible writers quoted from the OT books they wanted included into the Bible's "internal canon", excluding Esther, Song of Solomon (Canticles) and Ecclesiates).

Just for the record: The flood and Eden are history. Esther is folklore, an example of substitute history in the context of historical revisionism. Where are the scholars when you need them?

JC

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

JC,

Sorry, I couldn't disagree with you more. The bible is NOT a history book, though it does contain history. It's a spiritual love letter, written in hind sight, and using the common stories of the day to show God interacting with his people.

Could God have created the world in six days? He could have done it in the blink of an eye...if he took six days...why not four billion years? The point of the Genesis story isnt' HOW God created but rather THAT God created. Eden...a tool used to show that it was man who caused his own fall by trying to be like God in deciding what was good and what was evil. The flood...more than likely borrowed from the Chaldeans...there were several devastating floods back in the prehistory of man...but never one cataclysmic worldwide flood.

Well, I've said my piece...God Bless...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit