How do Americans feel about Canadians and Britons interjecting their opinions onto hot localized political topics: gun laws, abortion, ect?

by adjusted knowledge 50 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

^^^ everything Max Divergent said. :)

• TD
    TD

Max,

It just seems perverse that the nationals of a country that espouses freedom and free speech object when people freely talk about issues.

I don't think the OP questioned the right of people to have opinions. (Especially in view of the fact that the question presupposes the existence of their opinions.)

What does it matter where people are from? If they're interested in a topic, why should their contribution be questioned for validity based on their nationality? Is it not self-evident that all men are born equal?

I would say that the validity of an opinion shouldn't be confused with the right to express it. People have rights. Ideas do not.

I have a 'right' to an opinion about British politics but if I don't even understand basic things, like the differences between their Conservative and Labour parties, then my opinion doesn't count for much and doesn't have the same merit as a more informed opinion would.

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

Hi TD

I get the difference between holding an opinion and expressing an opinion.

I hold, however, that it's a bit redundant to question people's expressed opinions on an internet discussion forum on the basis of the country they're from.

By all means fire away on the basis of the expressed opinion being rooted in ignorance of the complexities of the issues or whatever other objective failure there may be in whatever someone might write.

But to say a Brit or a Canadian or whatever should have nothing to say about X because X is only for Americans to discuss is a bit rude. A foreigner may have as much of value to say as an American.

Or not.

I just say consider the value of the contribution made to the discussion, not the national origin of the poster.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I think the Canadians might understand Americans more than the Brits.

I confess to feeling annoyed at some Brit commentators, esp if they go off the rails a bit.

Loved Chris Hitchens tho.

• Caedes
    Caedes

Perhaps it's just annoying because we are so much better informed!

• cappytan
    cappytan

In case y'all didn't realize it, I was being ironic in my earlier post. (Although I do love guns.)

everyone is entitled to their own opinion on any subject no matter where they're from or who the subject affects.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    cappytan: everyone is entitled to their own opinion on any subject no matter where they're from or who the subject affects.

That is correct. However, it is important to identify your own geo-political positioning when you do so. An opinion that is 'from nowhere' is just that - from nowhere.

And, it is not a good enough response to come from the position of "well, you just don't understand because you are a foreigner". A person has to clarify why the other person doesn't understand by explaining their own positioning on the issue being discussed.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

adjusted knowledge - "How do Americans feel about Canadians and Britons interjecting their opinions onto hot localized political topics: gun laws, abortion, etc.?"

Well, if the Americans in question are rabid wingnuts, and the Canadians and Britons doing the opinion interjection share that worldview (which does happen)...

x

...I'm pretty sure the former don't mind.

• SonoftheTrinity
    SonoftheTrinity
    As far as guns are concerned, Americans know the right to bear arms is protected by their constitution. And the Constitution is our God and King. Don't tell us how stupid our lax gun laws are until you've read our constitution and realize that it is conflated with our civil and human rights. Urban, Suburban, and Rural America don't understand each other and we have to work it out on our own and its going to take a thousand days and a thousand nights. I suspect British criticism is a natural reaction to America's pompous foreign policies.
  • M*A*S*H
    M*A*S*H

How many NRA members does it take to change a light bulb?

More guns

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit