Theif gets 200yrs......only in the USA!

by ISP 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

Yeah, you're right Seeker. I was basically venting. I have to say though, here in Oz, I do see more of a "glorify the criminal" attitude than I do in the USA. I have to admit though, I do not have enough of a knowledge of English culture to make a judgement on the UK, other than the English/Scottish people I've met here in Oz. This is a culture that very much models itself after the British, and down here they do punish the victims here more than the criminals and that's the truth. Thanks for your comments. Once again, the voice of reason.

And Joel, cut that out. You've got me laughing so hard I'm about to need Depends! lol

RCat

• jelly
    jelly

Roamingfeline,

Thanks for your reply. I feel that prisons should exist to both rehabilitate criminals and to protect society from criminals, as of this moment they are not doing either very well. I do think long sentences are in order for violent crimes and not a mere hand-slap; drugs are a separate issue however. I think the drug problem could best be handled with treatment for the user. I would be interested to read what you think the solutions to the drug/prison problem in America are, rest assured I don’t believe that I have all the answers so I am sincere with my request; your ideas my be more sound than mine.

Jelly

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

Hi Jelly,

It's not just a drug/prison issue. I look at the big picture, and what I see it being is a total societal problem. From the groundwork up. It's like chain reaction. Starts with families who aren't close due to both parents having to work all the time, the economic/monetary system of doing business, fast-paced lives which leave no time for human contact/kindness. If we bring up our children Not to be criminals, sure, we're bound to have a few bad apples, but not the barrels full we're seeing today!

Yes, longer sentences for hardened criminals would treat the symptoms, but somewhere along the line, society will have to face the music and deal with the root causes of all this mess, or we will have a total breakdown of society. And that has absolutely NOTHING to do with GOD/Higher Power/Religion. It has everything to do with consequences of bad behaviors. Just my .05 which is probably worth closer to .02

RCat

• bigboi
    bigboi

I think the decision to give that guy 200yrs in prison was more political than anything. In California and Florida politicians are under a lot of pressure to do something about identity thieves. I personally think it sucks to give a man 200 yrs for stealing from a rich man who obvoiusly wouldn't suffer much harm from the crime. Hell, if he'd done it to one of us they probably wouldn't have even caught him by now.

ONE....

Bigboi

"it ain't what ya do. it's how you do it" quote from the song "True Honeybunz" by Bahamadia

• ISP
    ISP

Don't forget this guy didn't steal from the person directly as in a break-in or mugging. He 'ripped' off Tigers driving license and consequently obtained goods conventionally, i.e. he went into a store and 'bought' them, albeit using a false card.

Opportunistic rather than evil, IMO. Doesn't deserve 200 years! I am surprised that they don't just kill him......and save the money.

ISP

• bigboi
    bigboi

Hey ISP:

Good point. Kinda goes along with what I said. Also I'd like to emphasize that WHO he did it too was prolly more important than what he did.

ONE.....

Bigboi

"it ain't what ya do. it's how you do it" quote from the song "True Honeybunz" by Bahamadia

• teejay
    teejay

I think we should all fart on him til he's dead. Joel! That was mean!!
    Can you imagine dying that way? ok... it was funny, but mean.

• Caole
    Caole

I think we should all fart on him til he's dead.

I'm afraid that would be in violation of the 8th Amendment to the Constitution...you know...that cruel and unusual punishment thing.

• vsecret939
    vsecret939

Hello

When you are considering why the United States has so many people in prison, you have to realize that one of the main reasons is because of the fact that there is so much money to be made from keeping the prisons full. Prisons have become privatized and the owners receive about $24,000 per year for each person that they have incarcerated. This adds up to big bucks.

Yes, it would be better to try and prevent crime in the first place and reform and educated criminals already in the system, but like any good bussines knows, repeat business is good business. And if you want a life criminal, it's best to start on them at an early age and get them caught up in that kind of life.

For this reason, you get an extremly high incidence of police profiling of minority youths. It's all about the money. It's easier to target those who are the least educated and have fewer resources for defending themselves. 90% of minorities arrested have two choices: court appointed attorneys or go to jail, it's as simple as that. I believe we all know that a court appointed attorney gives you little chance at actually beating the system whether you are guilty or innocent. Afterall, the law does say "innocent till proven guilty." But it should say "guilty till proven innocent," because that is how it usually works.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

victoria's secret

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit