Theif gets 200yrs......only in the USA!

by ISP 18 Replies latest jw friends

• ISP
    ISP

Yeah 200 yrs sounds a tad excessive………………but things are bigger and better in the US.....I guess it works for sentences as well.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) -- A man who used Tiger Woods' identity to steal $17,000 worth of goods was sentenced to 200 years-to-life in prison.
    Anthony Lemar Taylor was convicted of falsely obtaining a driver's license using the name Eldrick T. Woods, Woods' Social Security number and his birth date.
    Though he looks nothing like golf's best player, the 30-year-old Taylor then used the false identification and credit cards to buy a 70-inch TV, stereos and a used luxury car between August 1998 and August 1999.
    Judge Michael Virga gave Taylor the maximum sentence under California's three-strikes law Friday.
    Taylor's lawyer, James Greiner, said the 200-year term is tantamount to a death sentence and should be reserved for those who injure or kill someone. He urged Virga to sentence Taylor to the minimum 19 years, arguing Taylor's prior crimes have involved theft.
    Deputy District Attorney Russ Detrick said the state's three-strikes law was written for criminals like Taylor, who has been convicted of 20 misdemeanor or felony crimes over 17 years.
    Greiner accused prosecutors of using Woods' celebrity status to convict Taylor of eight theft and two perjury counts.
    "The prosecution had a theory ... to bring Mr. Tiger Woods in here and create a celebrity case and ride that celebrity status to convict Mr. Taylor," Greiner said.
    Prosecutors said they treated Woods like any other crime victim, though he was given special courthouse access when he testified in December.

I think ‘3 strikes’ rule works fine for baseball……..although the rosters would be pretty thin if the batters were booted after being K’d.

ISP

• SlayerLayer
    SlayerLayer

I have to say...If after two strikes you don't grow a brain, then good riddance to ya!

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

I live about 20 miles from Sacramento CA. I heard this on the radio.

I also agree with Slayer. If this happened to me as it did with TW, I would want the guy put away also. Maybe not for 200 years though, I think 100 would be sufficient.

• ISP
    ISP

What if the crimes were committed in your youth?......or if the cops got the wrong guy....on your third time? That would be a real bummer!

ISP

• jelly
    jelly

Hey All,

The three strikes law was originally intended for VIOLENT CRIMINALS only; it has been perverted to include many felonies now, including drug possession and theft. I am strongly opposed to the ‘three strikes’ law, as it has caused numerous injustices. Another issue with the 3 strikes law is that it fills the prisons up with 3 time non-violent offenders so that the first or second time violent offenders are actually getting out of jail quicker due to overcrowding.

And as an after though the reason America has a higher incarceration rate than most other countries has a great deal to do with the fact that many activities that are treated as an illness in other countries (drugs) are criminalized here. There has been a lot posted on the American prison system on this board recently, most people in America realize that there is a problem with the prison system. I am not going to argue the merits of the American prison system; it needs a great deal of change. What I am going to post is the changes that I think need to happen in the Prison system:

(1) Legalize and tax drugs, use the tax proceeds to create an anti drug ad campaigns and treatment centers and treat drug use as an illness
    (2) Prosecute people that sell illegal drugs with very long terms (like 20 years)
    a. Since I want drugs legalized only people that sell drugs to minors or in improper locations would fit this profile
    (3) Increase the length of prison terms for violent criminals
    (4) Make the prisoners work, and work hard
    (5) Educate the prisoners (Many do not even have High school diplomas)
    (6) Murder = life without the possibility of parole
    (7) Murder and another felony committed at the same time (like rape) = death when:
    a. Guilt can be 100% determined
    b. I realize this means the death penalty would probably never be used
    (8) Control the prisons and stop the gang activity and anal rape

Just my thoughts, I though it would be interesting to post ideas about change instead of arguing about beliefs and preconceptions.

Scorpion I live about 40 miles north of Sacramento, howdy neighbor!!

Jelly (Sorry about the format I don't know how to use forum code)

• Cautious
    Cautious

We have a territory in Australia which uses the three strikes rule, but only with property crime. It resulted in such ridiculous things as a person being sent to jail for stealing a towel!

• Seeker
    Seeker

Three strike rules are for those who are too lazy to think. Just react.

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

Jelly,

You have some good points in your post, except the drug issue, imo. I never have approved of recreational drug use, and never will. That's my opinion, and you are totally in your rights to have your own also.

One other point I wish to make, though. I think that is what is wrong here in Australia, UK, and other places in the world with less harsh laws than the USA. You believe in just slapping hands and not kicking ass. That's why your soccer games are full of idiots wrecking the stadiums, and your old people are being robbed by teenagers with ballbats. Get a backbone and stop making criminals out of the victims. The USA prison system isn't perfect by any means, but at least we don't mollycoddle all our criminals.

RCat

• joelbear
    joelbear

I think we should all fart on him til he's dead.

• Seeker
    Seeker
    You believe in just slapping hands and not kicking ass. That's why your soccer games are full of idiots wrecking the stadiums, and your old people are being robbed by teenagers with ballbats.

Roamingfeline, I must disagree. There are cultural reasons for the 'lad' culture in England, and it has nothing to do with lax punishment. So your explanation for the soccer fans causing damage is not the real reason.

Besides, here the in the good ol' butt-kicking, gun-toting, three-strikes-and-yer-out USA, we have riots after many sports championships, with cars being set on fire, people being arrested, etc. It doesn't happen at soccer games because we don't care about soccer the way England does. But something we do care about? Set that car on fire!

As for old people being robbed by teens (regardless of their weapon of choice), do you really think that doesn't happen in this country in the big cities, and probably at a rate higher than in England's?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit