Thomas Jefferson Comments

by Farkel 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Farkel
    Farkel

In Thomas Jefferson's "Notes on the State of Virginia", Query xvii, "Religion", he states:

"The first settlers in this country were emigrants from England, of the English church, just at a point of time when it was flushed with complete victory over the religious of all other persuasions. Possessed, as they became, of the powers of making, administering, and executing the laws, they shewed (sic) equal intolerance in this country with their Presbyterian brethren... The poor Quakers were flying from persecution in England. They cast their eyes on these new countries as asylums of civil and religious freedom; but they found them free only for the reining sect. Several acts of the Virginia assembly of 1659, 1662, and 1693, had made it penal in parents to refuse to have their children baptized; had prohibted the unlawful assembling of Quakers; had made it penal for any master of a vessel to bring a Quaker into the state; had ordered those already here, and such as should come thereafter, to be imprisoned till they should abjure the country; provided a milder punishment for their first and second return, but death for their third; had inhibited all persons from suffering their meetings in or near their houses, entertaining them individually, or disposing of books which supported their tenets... The Anglicans retained full possession of the country about a century."

I find it supremely ironic that those who fled religious persecution in England, found it as bad or even worse in the early days of America. I stood on the spot in the Boston Common (park) where a Quaker women was flogged for not leaving the area. When she returned the third time, she was hanged to death by those ever-so-Christian Puritans.

Even so, as bad as it was, religious intolerance and punishments would have been MUCH worse if dubs were in control back then; just as it will be when they have complete control over this planet in their beloved soon-to-come "Paradise Earth(tm)." Between the never-ending picnics in the woods, and never-ending lion petting, there will be plenty of public stonings. You can count on that.

Farkel

• Mulan
    Mulan

Well, that explains a lot. My forbears were Quakers, wouldn't you know it? Some inherited tendency toward this kind of religion maybe?

One of my Quaker grandmothers (4 generations back) was a descendant of a famous Mass. Puritan, Roger Conant (founder of Salem MA). He would be turning in his grave if he knew one of his descendants became a Quaker. I have some things she wrote, where she said "thee" and "thou". Very cool.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Oh those horrid Puritans. Not an ounce of love in their collective heart. It's hard to imagine this country having started out that way.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    just as it will be when they have complete control over this planet in their beloved soon-to-come "Paradise Earth(tm)." Between the never-ending picnics in the woods, and never-ending lion petting, there will be plenty of public stonings. You can count on that.

??? Are you saying you believe their teachings? They are living in a Fool's Paradise, pun intended.........please don't join them, and don't give power to their mad dream!

Terri

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Are you saying you believe their teachings?.........please don't join them

I can just imagine Farks face when he reads that!

Don't worry, Terri, you can rest assured that isn't on the agenda!

BTW if you read our fellow poster's posts over the past few years, you'd get your answer.

Cheers, Ozzie

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    I find it supremely ironic that those who fled religious persecution in England, found it as bad or even worse in the early days of America.

Whilst still 'in', I could never imagine the euphoria that many of the R&F had over the thoughts of the WTS' version of the "earthly paradise". To me, it seemed obvious that it'd be sheer hard work, and living under the rules of the WTS didn't fill me with much joy. I used to say this to the "brothers" but got quizzical looks.

Cheers, Ozzie

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, when we toured the Puritan re-enactment some years ago, I brought out that very point about how how they did not extend freedom of religion to others once they arrived in North America, besides slaughtering the heathen Indians, Roger Williams and others had to flee that community for fear of dying.

Can I say that the re-enacters weren't too happy with me, but one older woman and I had a nice conversation inside the house though so no governmental authorities could overhear. She suggested that we not linger as we might be ejected for our contrary views. Of course, it is just a big play, but it was eeriely like sayinig anything negative about the WTS.

Blondie (would not have made a good Puritan woman)

• Dan-O
    Dan-O
    I find it supremely ironic that those who fled religious persecution in England, found it as bad or even worse in the early days of America.

I was amused & surprised to learn several years ago that one of my ancestors was tried for witchcraft in Connecticutt 300+ years ago.

But I also keep in mind that some of the colonies were settled by Quakers (Pennsylvania), and some by Puritans (Massachusets), and some by Catholics (Maryland). Religious division and persecution is nothing new here. That's one of the reasons we have Constitutional freedoms for religion (which was added as an amendment to the Constitution several years after the fact).

• Mulan
    Mulan
    some of the colonies were settled by Quakers (Pennsylvania), and some by Puritans (Massachusets),

Well..........my ancestors were in Maine and Massachussetts, and they were Quakers. They built the first Quaker meeting house in Casco, Maine and it is still standing, because my cousins and I all send donations for its upkeep. Soon it will be a historic site and hopefully supported by the State of Maine. We're working on it. There is a cemetery nearby where most of my ancestors are buried, it is Maxfield Cemetery, Quaker Ridge Road, Casco Maine. It is "occupied" entirely by Quakers.

Most Quakers were in Pennsylvania though. I agree. Just wanted you to know there were lots and lots of them in Mass and Maine. Mine were named Maxfield, Estes, Varney, Partridge, Pinkham, etc.

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Good stuff Farkel ... it seems that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit