DO YOU BELIEVE ARMAGEDDON WILL EVER COME?

by Mary 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

Sometimes I look at the world and I think "man, how much longer can it go on?" Sometimes I think perhaps Armageddon will come in my life-time. The one scripture I always think of is the one in Revelation where it says that Jehovah "will bring to ruin, those ruining the earth." The 20th century is the first time in history that we've had the technology to literally wipe out all life on this planet. Scientists have long preached about the garbage dump we're creating, deforrestation and the ozone layer depletion.

On the other hand, we're living longer lives, quality of life in many parts of the earth is better than at any time in our history and we're constantly progressing in the field of science anyway which makes me think that perhaps Armageddon will never come, or if it does, it's still hundreds if not thousands of years away............

Do you think it will EVER come? or is it just wishful thinking?

• itsallgoodnow
  • Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I don't believe in any supernatural "end of the world". I don't believe there is some sky-god out there who gets pissed off at what we do on our little rock in orbit around the sun.

What I do KNOW is that the universe is constantly changing... which means that the earth will change over time. Eventually earth will no longer be capable of supporting human life. This may happen as a result of climate changes... meteor impact.... volcanic activity... changes in the sun.... a nearby star could go nova... the possibilities are countless.

Bottom line is this: We will NOT be here forever. There WILL come a time when all humans are extinct.

• English Patient
    English Patient

Hi

In a word, no.

But in more words, I believe that Revelation is just a collection of idea's and stories borrowed by the author from Jewish sources such as Ezekiel, Zechariah, and Daniel. John (who doesn't call himself the apostle John) wrote this book while exiled to the rocky Isle of Patmos, a Roman penal colony. He describes in great detail how Jesus will return, obviously eager to escape his nightmare. This leads me to believe that maybe John had wishful thinking.

It took me by suprise to know that there were other books like Revelation. Peter, Paul and James all discussed an apocalypse as they seen it; Peter borrowed many of his views from Egyptian mythology, speaking of a 'river of fire' ; a traditional Eygptian Christian belief. In James version of events, he is the one whom 'rewards' those entering heaven by showing them inside, different from Peter's view that he was the keeper of the keys of heaven.

So not only John had a version of the Apocalypse. These other versions did not make the final cannon, but who is to say that these versions are not inspired like John's? A brief examination of those whom put together the final biblical cannon should answer that.

I think it's a nice thought to believe that Jesus shall one day wipe all wickedness from the Earth, but it seems pretty unrealistic. After all, according to John, Jesus last words were:

'Look! I am coming quickly!' ... Rev 22.

Would you say that you believed in the coming of Christ?

• Gopher
    Gopher
    perhaps Armageddon will come in my life-time. The one scripture I always think of is the one in Revelation where it says that Jehovah "will bring to ruin, those ruining the earth."

I think the majority of mankind are NOT actively trying to ruin the earth. To hold all mankind responsible for the actions of a wicked, violent few would be unjust.

I find as I go about my daily life that most people are kind, considerate and helpful. Certainly they are not hopelessly wicked and deserving of being crushed by an angry god.

I think the Armageddon scenario plays on man's worst fears. The whole book of Revelation seems to be some sort of trip. And for the JW's to take it and apply every little aspect of it to their modern-day "organization" is tunnel vision at its finest.

• rem
    rem

I think I read somewhere that the scripture about "ruining the earth" in Revelation was not referring to the global environment, but rather was symbolic of the moral climate of the people. I think it's anachronistic to think that ancient man was worried about "ruining the earth" literally.

rem

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

Thats cool you bought this up. Sometimes I worry that at the rate we polute the earth and its resources I fear something Is going to happen. Not a God destroying event, rather something we bring upon ourselves.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

No

• MicStroz
    MicStroz

With every ending there is a new beginning.

• Mary
    Mary
    Sometimes I worry that at the rate we polute the earth and its resources I fear something Is going to happen. Not a God destroying event, rather something we bring upon ourselves.

Yes, this is was I fear too I guess..........I remember even as a child, I would watch my parents "put the garbage out" every week and I wondered where it went so I asked my mother. She said "it goes to the garbage dump". Even at the age of 7 I remember thinking "if everybody does this, there must be ALOT of garbage piled up somewhere."

The whole book of Revelation seems to be some sort of trip. And for the JW's to take it and apply every little aspect of it to their modern-day "organization" is tunnel vision at its finest.

Oh no kidding...........Their Revelation It's Grand Orgasm Climax is probably the dumbest, most pathetic interpretation of anything in the bible, I've ever read. I remember counting how many times the expression in the book "this may well symbolize" or "this could mean" or "this apparently means" during the Bookstudy. The one that always killed me was their interpretation of The Two Witnesses mentioned in Revelation........it "apparently" "symbolized" the 3 1/2 years that the Bible Students got their asses flung into jail..............

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit