The WT wrecking ball's in action again

by FreeWilly 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

Boy, I feel really awful for those of you on this board, whose family won't associate with them because they've left the Organization. I'm fortunate because I know if and when the day comes that I leave, my family won't treat me any different. They'll be disappointed, but I know for a fact that they would not shut me off.

This is the probably the most hurtful thing that can happen: cut off from your family because of religion. I know many Dubs use the scripture that says "He who puts mother or father or brother or sister before me, is not worthy of me" as justification for their actions. They never stop to think that the majority have not denied faith in Jesus Himself, they've simply lost faith in a man-made organization.

I remember hearing that at the meetings--if things are going well for you something must be wrong. Seems like suffering is a badge of honor somehow in the Org

Good god! How is this any different that what fanatics in Islam teach their people??

• El blanko
    El blanko
    The definition of apsotacy acording to the scriptures is a person who rejects Christ or God, and speak out against them., I have never spoken against Christ or God!

Brother Beyond

Indeed and doesn't it make it frustrating to be prejudged and labelled as such without a proper debate about the subject matter in hand.

Your average witness will not even engage in a conversation that is perceived as an attack on their lifestyle choice.

I was going through a lot last year in my personal life and had a conversation with an ex- brother (who is trying to return at the moment) about the organization and Christianity in general. Low and behold, I find out through a friend that I am an apostate and was "having a go at his religion". It has taken several letters on my behalf to even begin to patch up what I thought was a reasonably good relationship.

It is more to do with individuals trying to hold onto their fragile faith which is not open to question or attack. Can you imagine the Apostle Paul turning up to talk to the Greek philosophers only to turn on his heal and walk away with a glib comment like - "apostacy, your ideas do not make any sense to me, therefore I will ignore you instead and label you as my enemy". I don't think so. He would have engaged in meaningful conversation and used respect during his arguments. Not like the average JW who simply puts up a barrier, puts their nose in the air and bangs on about the marvels of the organization.

You have to pity that individual in a way, as they are not allowing their mind to function as God intended. The basis of the Christian faith as I was taught many years ago "is reason through accurate knowledge". Try telling this to a practising witness when you have a series of well constructed argumnents before you. It is interesting to note, that it was a JW who taught me the above statement about the constructs of the faith.

• Larry
    Larry

So true - Wreaking ball indeed :-/ I think the way Jdubs treat ex-jdubs is criminal. But it just highlights how scare they are to question their belief and to leave their seemingly 'peace & security' land of comfort. It takes much courage to stand on your own and many of them don't have what it takes to leave or to even question any BORG belief. For some, they have too much to lose, they have dedicated their lives to the BORG. Where would they go if they leave, what structure would they have to support them? In fact, I often ask myself, If they leave would they be able to handle it, would they have a nervous breakdown, would I be able to render them the much needed support, will their lives have a turn for the worst? I wouldn't want to bear that responsibility, so maybe they are better off with the BORG than without them.

In any event, it's a no win situation. I took a few years for me to finally realize that having any semblance of a relationship with my Mother or any other jdub member just wasn't happening. I told my wife and kids, that you can't pick your family you just have to deal with them, but the generation starts with us, we have to be the nucleus for the future generations, and never allow anybody to separate us.

The BORG is clear about not associating with you - no movies, dinners, picnics, mall shopping, visits, basically nothing social. Once you make the break from the BORG you are losing much - This is the price of freedom.

I've enjoy reading the posts on this topic - it's threads like these that make this board so special.

Peace - LL.

• blondie
    blondie
    Who knows, maybe they were predesposed to that all along.

Freewilly, there is good in them I'm sure. There is good in most of my family. It is just that something either twists it or pushes it down and they allow it. This is my third issue with my family. Child abuse, alcoholism, and now spiritual abuse. Same tools and same situations to battle. I figure I finally saw the light and left the land of denial; maybe they will, but until then, I recognize the danger they pose. It all boils down to choices. Something the WTS offers they want badly enough to push aside the good that is still there.

It actually is good to define ourselves apart from how our family or friends label us. It is more centered, healthier.

Just be your lovely self, freewilly. It is better to live a sermon than to preach one.

Blondie

• True North
    True North
    My Mom...has hated me from the day I was born....She is a good person.

Country Girl, that doesn't seem very good to me.

"It doesn't seem to bother your conscience to treat your family members like crap."

Funny how JWs can treat their family members -- especially their non-JW family members -- like crap but as long as they go to the meetings, show up occasionally for "field service", and don't let their kids celebrate Christmas or birthdays, then they're still better than any "worldly" person.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

Freewilly. I'm sorry to hear that. It sounds exactly like my experiences with my family. They are so in denial it's unreal. Well, life goes on without them, I guess.

• Room 215
    Room 215

.... and last week's Service Meeting had a part on ``The Truth Unites Families".....barf.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    The Truth Unites Families

That Dub expression is so illogical! How can they really believe that? Yet I s'pose they do.

How could "The Troof" do any more than divide families? The WTS even is fond of quoting Jesus' words about "Father against son, brother against brother" etc as being fulfilled in the WTS themselves!!!

So that SM theme even contradicts their own teachings.

The best that families could hope for is that they all are "in the Troof" and so in that sense they would be "united". Otherwise, forget it!

Cheers, Ozzie

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

It was a typo. It was supposed to read "The Truth unties families"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit