Peak Oil

by DanTheMan 54 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

It's human nature to resist change. People only change when it's forced onto them. And so, the majority will keep going as they have until there is a panic, causing the herd to change it's paradigm. What's cool now might be stoned then. This 'panic' has to come before the change to new/different energy sources, or personal reduction of energy use. I'm already doing my part by staying in my chair as much as possible.

SS

• donkey
    donkey

Russian reserve issues reported today: http://biz.yahoo.com/rm/040406/energy_russia_reserves_1.html

What is interesting is this sentence: "Total oil reserves are a state secret in Russia".

It is interesting how the shell game is played with so many producers refusing disclosure...

• Badger
    Badger

I have yet to see a candidate with the guts to ask us to sacrifice just a little of our way of life...but that probably won't win an election.

Kennedy's speech "We need to resolve, as a nation, to put a man on the moon before the end of this decade." won applause after his inaguration....I'd like to see Kerry or Bush (although neither will do it, much less the latter) say "We need to resolve, as a nation, to end our dependence on foreign oil by the end of this decade."

I doubt it will be as harsh or as immediate as this person claims...but it's definitely going to sting...that's why I drive a Honda Civic (38 MPG), walk for all trips less than a half mile away and share rides when possible.

It's little stuff that will by us time and make the transition easier.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

Yeah if you already live like a hermit, or live in a rural area that already uses solar power to run the farmhouse you are almost safe. Realistically you'll need to stockpile weapons and ammo personally or donate them to your local laws enforcement. People from the city will migrate to your town and cause trouble. It is sort of like the hell angels in the 60's they didn't stop terrorizing small towns until people started packing major heat. I believe mega cites like Mexico City will morph out of the stable population centers, with a brown ring of shantytowns on the outskirts. The reason is the closer you pack people the more efficient they are. What will save the human race is cutting overhead more than anything. To bad there will be some places destroyed by war, but if we have war now why would people think it would go away in the future when we have less resources than we do now?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

If we're using less oil now than we were in 2000, then surely we're already on the right track? If we continue this gentle decline, then we can remove our dependence on oil long before it runs out. If not, then we'll just have to rely on our oil reserves until we can move over completely to other sources of energy. Either way, this is just one more prediction of doom that's not going to come true.

• Realist
    Realist

funky,

If we're using less oil now than we were in 2000, then surely we're already on the right track?

where did you get that from???

• detective
    detective
    3. No more pets. They require food that needs to be used to feed people.

Excuse me? Don't keep pets?

Well, if I don't keep pets, what else will I eat if I run out of food? Duh!

Here kitty, kitty...

• FMZ
    FMZ

I apologize for being the immature one here... but the title of the thread sounds like something you buy from a sex shop.

"Peak Oil" (tm), just rub it on, and reach your peak in seconds! (Would be meant for women as guys dont need help in this regard)

FMZ

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    where did you get that from???

From the original article:

It is possible that the year 2000 was the year of peak oil production, as production has dipped every year since.

The writer took this as an indication that we may have already reached the peak of oil production and were incapable of producing more. I put a different slant on it, that maybe we're producing less oil because we've already reduced our dependence on it somewhat and if this continues, there won't be any problem. The truth is probably closer to what someone else mentioned about the global recession reducing demand for oil.

• Realist
    Realist

funky,

excellent!

here is another interesting article on the topic!!

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0129/p14s01-wogi.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit