A slave is obedient even to a cruel master?...

by cyber-sista 12 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

You are slightly off. If he were "worldly" they would ignore the abuse, too and be more adamant that she stand her ground to make a good example to try to win him over. It is the mind set that bad things only happen to bad people. If you are good then Jehovah will rescue you eventually. They apply this to every thing. It is not a big cover up just faulty logic.

• undercover
    undercover
    This is a dysfunctional relationship and logic and reason are of no avail, at least not from amateurs and well wishers. Professional intervention by a trained psychologist is their only hope. Just talking scripture isn't going to do it. They need to be reached on an emotional level, which requires a professional road map.

Good point. Even if the elders are merciful, caring men, they are not trained to handle the issues that come with these type relationships. Best friends can be caring and merciful, but still not be able to help. What makes an untrained elder think he can help them solve their problems by reading some scriptures?

Then there's the uncaring, arrogant elders who make matters worse by laying blame on the abused wife or accusing one or both of not living up to Bible principles and that's why they have problems. For an elder to use the scripture about be obedient to a cruel master when speaking to an abused wife is unexcusable. If she decides to stay with an abusive husband based partly on what that elder told her, he would have to share in the guilt of any injury or death incurred later.

I was never an elder, but I have always maintained this attitude about abusive husbands: If he ever physically acosts you, it's time to leave. You are no longer safe, he no longer is in control of himself. I know that if I was an elder and uttered those words that I probably wouldn't have been an elder for very long.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

This poor woman seems a sad soul , with good reason. She is trying to do what she beleves is right and only gets abused by her husband and no help from the elders.

Of course they should never use a scripture about slavery to a distrought wife ( but they are only elders!) the truth is they probably dont like her very much and find brother X much easier to deal with .

In reality we should remember that a good many women with no contact with JW's put up wifh an abusive partner for many years . Perhaps they are emotionally dependant?

She really needs professional help, but is unlikely to get it unless she has the guts to go on her own . They dont like anyone talking about such things outside of the org, it is a "Bad witness"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit