dem dang Awakes!

by Copernicus 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Copernicus
    Copernicus

I happened to be in my doctor’s office yesterday and was browsing the magazine rack looking for something to kill time, and what did I perchance find? Yes, you guessed it. . . a pristine issue of AWAKE! Not having read one of these rags in almost a year now, I thought I’d take a moment to see what I’ve been missing, ha, ha.

On the cover was a picture of some “wholesome” looking kids standing about together, with the caption:

THE PROBLEM WITH CHILDREN. WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT IT?

The simple solution offered in the Awake? Have them all killed at Armageddon (of course)! Hey ma, look . . . no kids, no problem!

What is behind the inane reasoning of these countless magazines with their perpetual, open-ended banner questions, all having the same answer?

I’ve been reading “The True Believer” by Eric Hoffer; an excellent book recommended by several on this site. He makes an enlightening point about the need for mass movements (eg: cults, political extremists, etc) to constantly DEPRECIATE THE PRESENT.

To wit: “Not only does a mass movement depict the present as mean and miserable – it deliberately makes it so. It fashions a pattern of individual existence that is dour, hard, repressive, and dull. It decries pleasure and comforts and extols the rigorous life. It views ordinary employment as trivial or even discreditable, and represents the pursuit of personal happiness as immoral. To enjoy oneself is to have truck with the enemy - the present. The prime objective of the ascetic ideal preached by most movements is to breed contempt for the present."

Is this a description of life as a Witness or what?

He goes on to explain how it is the frustrated that are most easily drawn to mass movements because of their dissatisfaction with the present, and the promise offered of an immediate, radical change in their circumstances. One in which they will find themselves as the favored (or at least surviving) subjects. This book is a must read for anyone interested in the “how they do it” aspect of the WT experience, and for seeing it in relationship to other similar movements. They all really have certain elements in common.

The back of this particular magazine (I only looked at the front and back, that was enough) had another winner. It said that the popularity of the Awake was confirmed by the fact that over 20 million issues where printed every month in blah, blah, languages. LOL

Yeah, there’s a sure and accurate indication of a magazine’s popularity - how many were printed. I wonder if the WTS had to cope with all the unsold returns that normal publishing companies do, if they would still feel the same about that statement.

When I was a publisher, I couldn’t give the things away if I put 20 dollar bills inside! And even if I placed something, 9 times out of 10 it went right into the trash. So what is being accomplished here?

Two things: a select call to the frustrated (join us, we share your mindset!), and for the r&f, a constant depreciation of the present.

Copernicus

• nelly136
    nelly136

could always write the silent lambs URL on
    the strategically placed ones we find in surgeries
    nelly

• Copernicus
    Copernicus

ROTFL. . . I wished I'd thought of that one, Nelly!

You're on - the next time I see one I'll be ready

• Francois
    Francois

Hey Copernicus, right on bro. That "True Believer" must be under the pillow of every member of the GB. They've got the practice down to a science. I'm sure you must have noticed the near congruency of the WTBTS and the Nazis. Scary, ain't it?

My $0.02

• SlayerLayer
    SlayerLayer

Ah yes the Awake! More informative than the Discovery Channel! Right Rem?

• nelly136
    nelly136

well if you had a pile of them mags and you
    wanted to recycle them you could put them in the
    surgerys and librarys for them ;)would keep costs down
    for paper and printing
    nelly

• nelly136
    nelly136

and how much paper money goes through your hands
    in a day? just imagine if you wrote the website
    on teh ocassional note, not that I'd advocate that
    cos its probably classed as defacing oe summat
    nelly

is on a roll now

• Copernicus
    Copernicus

Francoise

I'm sure you must have noticed the near congruency of the WTBTS and the Nazis. Scary, ain't it?

Very scary! This “True Believer” book is freaking me out. I’m beginning to think that the intentional manipulation described in the book is what is really behind the curtain at Oz (Bethel).

Up to this point I wanted to personally believe that they (the GB) where well meaning (in a weird sort of way). But now I’m starting to think that there’s been a whole lot of mind f**king going on.

• patio34
    patio34

Copernicus,
    Aptly put, the part about denigrating everything going on: criticize, criticize, criticize.

I just bought 'The True Believer' and started it.

Pat

• truman
    truman

I remember that Awake you saw, Copernicus, and thinking the same thing you did when I read the article. Yes, all the problems plagueing children will be permanently solved when they are wiped out at Armaggedon. What an amazing and effective solution!

Right now I am at the library to use their internet access, as my phone line has gone down and can't be repaired till Monday. I was having internet withdrawal! I am going to look for the book you mentioned before I leave.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit