Misconceptions of the GB

by Larry 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Larry
    Larry

What was your misconceptions about the GB?

Here was one of mine, when folks would ask me why wasn't their any Blacks on the GB. I would say that the Blacks weren't educated enough at the time (late 1800's - early 1900's) to govern a worldwide organization. They picked highly educated men for such a weighty responsibility. It wasn't until I left the BORG to learn that the GB wasn't/isn't highly educated themselves!

Talk about brainwashing!!!

Peace - Larry

• little witch
    little witch

What an interesting post!

As for me, I grew up in a very odd congregation (yes, some congregations are more odd than others).

Nobody in our cong could even name a member of the GB. They were a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

Jehovah somehow planned, printed, and distributed our literature. We never would toss a WT or Awake into the trash, just piles and piles left all over the house. I mean, for years!

Throwing them out was akin to trashing god, thats how closely aligned the gb was to god, and still is from many posts that I have read here.

In my congregation, naming or personifying a member of the gb was akin to disrediting jehovah!

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Good thing SP and TJ don't post here anymore, cause ol Larry be ina whole heapa twouble.

• little witch
    little witch

I know when I left in 1980 or so that it was still preached that blacks were hams decendants and blackness was a curse. That blacks were forever condemned as slaves and inferior.

I didn't make it up, nor did Larry. That is a remnant teaching of the GB.

I suspect one of the reasons to hide the names of the g.b. was to protect the guilty.

• nilfun
    nilfun

I believed the same as you, Larry:

The Governing Body = Highly educated scholars.

• nilfun
    nilfun

"Good thing SP and TJ don't post here anymore, cause ol Larry be ina whole heapa twouble."

Wow, Xjw_b12, you mean to say that TJ (Theodore Jaracz) and SP (aka Schroeder and Pierce) used to post here? I wish they still did, because they got a lot of 'splainin' to do!

Larry, I read somewhere that the GB members who "worked" on the NWT had no academic training in any of the bible languages at all, (with the exception of Fred Franz). How did they manage that one??

• galaxy7
    galaxy7

I know when I left in 1980 or so that it was still preached that blacks were hams decendants and blackness was a curse. That blacks were forever condemned as slaves and inferior.

Littlewitch, I never knew this.Is there anywhere I could look this up in their literature?

The more I learn here,the more I realize what I didnt know about the JWs

thanks,galaxy7

• Mary
    Mary
    What was your misconceptions about the GB?

That they actually knew what the hell they were talking about and that they were guided by the Holy Spirit.

• little witch
    little witch

Galaxy,

It is something I remember being taught from the stage. I do know it is in old literature. Perhaps Onacruise or Blondie can refer us to the quotes.

• TRUTH SEEKER
    TRUTH SEEKER

I grew up a Dub and I am amazed to read this. Never Never was this said at our hall. I also grew up in a suburb of Chicago (so maybe that is why.) I read all of your posts and often wonder how I could have missed some of the things that you folks were taught because we weren't. Amazing!

Jill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit