policy changed?

by pudd 26 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• sandy
    sandy

I cannot say if anything has changed recently. I was reading an article in one of the WT bound volumes

(1995) last night about suppressed memories of child abuse, they spelled out their two-witness rule in

that article. I was half asleep reading but, I believe there was no mention of Legal Authorities

in that article. Well I so not want to misquote so I'll stop there for now.

I was also reading the article on the generation teaching (New Light) so it may of been in that magazine

issue which was November.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Pudd,

This is just a 'cover our butts' letter that was sent to all congregations some time ago.

But I can assure you that no one, absolutely no elder at all, will ever go to the authorities and much less encourage anyone to report any wrong doing to the authorities because it brings 'reproach to Jehovah's name and its organization'.

That is the pure and honest truth.

DY

• little witch
    little witch

Avi,

I do have a problem with them allowing them to stay in as compared to other "sinful persons" they are a protected class.

A witness believes that no harm can come to them, they are in jehovahs house (no kingdom halls are touched by tornadoes, earthquakes, hurricanes etc) they really do believe this theory!

Added to the mix is that a pedophile is protected in house. "No gossip" and "No judgement" seem to apply exclusively to abusers of children and not to other sinners!

Elders will solemnly condemn such acts of smoking, apostacy, fornication, drug use, etc with announcements from the stage.

When did you ever hear an announcement like this. "Mr so and so is a bad association for molesting children and should be marked"?

There seems to be special measures made to limit the "gossip" for pedaphiles not afforded to other sinners.

I know people who were for instance going through divorce and slept with a man not their husband...they went to the elders to clear their conscience, and where announced publically as on "reproof". Funny enough every busy body in the congregation knew by weeks end the details of the "private" reproof.

Members don't seem to recieve the same if the sin is child molestation.It seems to me that they go out of their way on the elders level and above to hide this particular offense.

It seems to be its own special catagory, handled in a special way as to hide knowledge.

If I am a mother in a congregation feeling comfy and safe I would not blink an eye at sending my young one to the restroom by him or her self... This is IMO why Mr. Bowen calls it a "pedophile paradise".

I feel that the main concern is within the congregation. Most don't let a jw in the door anyways.

Blondie,

I agree with you, this problem needs legal addressing. It is not at all limited to certain denominations or religions. Care must be taken to protect children wherever they may be. Why oh why is the media centered on the Catholic Church in this area? The main thing is to recognize the problem globally and across the board!

• pudd
    pudd

(((blondie)))

you make a very good point and one that is close to home.

my brother was abused by a priest when he was a child.

my husband works with children with "behavoural problems" many of whom have been abused in one way or another and non are witnesses.

S.L. is doing a great job. as are all the organizations that help abuse victims.

• blondie
    blondie

You might want to go to the Silentlambs site and read information on the policy there.

http://www.silentlambs.com/answers/WhatmustWtdo.cfm

Updates are made there and you can contact them re any updates. If you have any information to share, they would be happy to know.

Blondie

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    An elder will speak condemnation publically to slander and punish someone for a multitude of reasons, but if a child abuser is accused, it is kept hush hush....

Here is my take on this policy: people might not be scared off from a church where they know smokers, adulterers, etc. attend. Child molesters? People won't want to attend where known molesters attend. So the WTBTS hides the fact and denies the fact that molesters attend JW meetings. They don't want to lose their members. Members pay for their housing, cars, vacations, medical care, clothing and anything else they have. They know on which side their bread is buttered. They're not going to risk melting all the butter.

This is why they're resisting bringing in authorities on these child molestation cases. It's all about the Bethel elite's lifestyles and money in Brooklyn, NY. Elders are just pawns in their sick & twisted strategy. Children are the expendable victims.

Flyin'

• sandy
    sandy
    Members don't seem to recieve the same if the sin is child molestation.It seems to me that they go out of their way on the elders level and above to hide this particular offense.

That may be true in most cases but, I know of an elder who gossiped about a child molester. His wife warned many of the "friends" in the congregation to keep there children clear of him.

I'm glad she did despite the fact I think her main motive was just to gossip and look down on others.

Before book study each week in her home) she would relate the latest gossip on many of the "friends".

• little witch
    little witch

Right on Flyin

Sandy, I bet that she is the exception rather than the rule. Of course I am using my own experiences but I knew from the "grapevine" every detail about why a member was tossed.

Never, not once did child molestation come up in conversation. In fact I was a victim. The perpetrator was never mentioned but I suddenly became a pariah.

I was viewed with suspicion and as an instigator. The perp was held out as a victim. Such is allowed inside the insular community that is jehovahs witnesses.

• IT Support
    IT Support

Pudd,

the society have now changed their polices on accusations of child abuse and now will go to the police if there are any allegations made

The last official policy letter I know of is that dated July 11, 2002. It stated:

"The elders know that it is the absolute right of the victim, his or her family, or anyone else, to report the matter to the authorities if they so choose."

This is a letter carefully crafted by Society lawyers. It cannot say the family should not go to the authorities: the family has the 'absolute right' to do so, in the same sense as anyone has a 'right' to accept a blood transfusion.

Of course, it glosses over that the apparent fact that a majority of abusers are the fathers of the family who have such a hold over the rest of the family that none of them would dare to go to the police.

The letter specifically does not say that the elders will go to the police themselves.

Of course, there may now be something more recent that this, maybe others will know.

Regards,

Ken

• avishai
    avishai
    There seems to be special measures made to limit the "gossip" for pedaphiles not afforded to other sinners

So true. My comment was facaetious. I'd vote for capital punishment in a heartbeat for these guys.

This is a letter carefully crafted by Society lawyers. It cannot say the family should not go to the authorities: the family has the 'absolute right' to do so, in the same sense as anyone has a 'right' to accept a blood transfusion.

Amen. They still reserve the right to DF you for it, if there is not two witnesses, and the elders don't do anything, it's still "Going ahead of Jehovah" And would also be considered "slander" due to their policy of anything said, even if true, if it's unproven (by two witnesses) it's slander. But of course, if one elders kid lies and says he saw you smoking, the least your gonna get is a grilling, and most likely be denied the right to face your accuser, as outlined in Matthew. They break their own "bible-based" rules all the time. Bastards.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit