Are JWs Are A "Free" People As They Claim???

by minimus 20 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

The argument Witnesses make is that they are not encumbered by the world and its so-called "freedom". They feel they are "free" from all the typical problems of this "worldly system of things"........If you could reason with a Witness as to whether or not they are truly "free'', what would you say to help them see the light?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

If you consider being burdened down with countless rules made up by men to be ?free?... then yes... they are extremely free.

• drnewson
    drnewson

How are we not free?

The answers you can give are are not freedoms, but slavery.

If you say we are not free to celebrate the holidays.

Hooray, I don't want to celebrate them.

• undercover
    undercover

JWs think they are "free" in that they are no part of Satan's world. They don't have to worry about politics, crime, hunger, etc because God is going to take care of it anytime now. This is not freedom as they think, it's delusion. They have been deluded into thinking that they are "free". But this delusion of "freedom" is actually enslavement to the organiztion that has them deluded. They think, act, react, the way they are trained to by their captors. They cannot have an opinion on world affairs. They cannot decide for themselves what is appropriate or inappropriate for entertainment. They have to share in the prescribed work from their governers, they have to attend their indoctrinational meetings.

As long as one allows the organization to maintain this hold on them, one will probably be unable to reason with them. Once one realizes something is wrong or lets doubts creep in, they can then be reasoned with in certain things.

• Rick Aust
    Rick Aust

its not the Rank & File members that are claiming that they are free, its the GB whom the R&F mustn't disagree with that are making that claim, its the Watchtower that they MUST read each week that makes that claim, its the speakers at the District convention that they MUST all attend that make that claim, and its the elders at the KH that MUST make that claim to the rank & File and finally the Rank and File MUST believe that. They have no real say in the matter. So really...are they free???? I think not. Has anyone every felt free to make a comment of their own thoughts at the meetings? they are allowed to use their own words but not their own thoughts, they must NEVER disagree with the FDS.

So A Good JW will believe that he is free because the WTS says they are.

Regards Rick

• minimus
    minimus

drnewson-----watcha talkin' about?

• undercover
    undercover

Drnewson, are you free to visit and post on an "apostate" web-site and remain in good standing in your congregation?

• Gerard
    Gerard
    Are JWs Are A "Free" People As They Claim???

Yes. All decisions are made for them. They do not have to use independent thinking. Life is just like sailing, right?

• undercover
    undercover
    Life is just like sailing, right?

For JWs, it's more like tacking.

• blondie
    blondie

Pooh, Gerard took my answer.

JWs are free not to think, the WTS/GB/FDS/COs/DOs/elders will do it for them.

JW freedom reminds me of the "corban" doctrine of the Pharisees, where people could pledge their belongings to the temple, but have the use of them during their lifetime but did not have to use them to take care of their aging parents with the funds because it was pledged to the temple.

Blondie

I thought that was tackling at first (need new glasses)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit