J.W. Relatives Coming to Visit

by Agnes 21 Replies latest jw friends

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

If they start talking religion, start talking politics. That will shut em up

and Welcome.

cj

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    They are going to want to pray at thier meal, prolly study or go to meeting at some point, invite you to do so, etc..Um...stay "stay busy"..*LOL*

Once again I must question the board of what value is it to "lie" to guests in your own home just to save face or not to make them uncomfortable.

If they're visiting they must know that you're not JW, so why should you have to go through the pretense of pretending to by "busy" because you don't want to go to meetings with them. If they're comeing under the pretense that since they're JW they get to preach till they wear you down they're already coming over with the wrong attitude.

If they ask and you're truly not interested, a firm "no, I'm not interested" along with an offer to give them instructions on how to get wherever their going will do even better than the lie of pretending busy.

• Valis
    Valis

95...I agree, however not knowing the exact nature of thier relationship it didn't hurt to offer yet another way of dealing with them.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

Nod, smile, and change the subject -- that's what I do. If they invite you to meeting, I would probably be honest and say I'm not interested. Politeness and respect should go a long way. :) Hope you have a pleasant visit!

• garybuss
    garybuss

The way the Witnesses deal with anything they don't like, is to defer it by saying something like, "I'll do some research on it and get back to you.". Of course they next time you see them and ask about their research, they don't know what you are talking about.

When somebody is talking nonsense to me and I don't want to offend them, I just say, "Interesting!". Or I just wait till they are done and then I thank them. More than a few Witnesses won't go into religion. So don't be too disappointed if they don't. GaryB

The Way I See it http://www.freeminds.org/buss/buss.htm

• Sassy
    Sassy

I am sure that they will not want to offend you against the religion, so if you are firm that you do not want to discuss it, they will leave you alone. They will try to win you over 'without a word' meaning set a good example of how good a people they are, so you will want to learn more why they are different and change your view on discussing religion

• Mulan
    Mulan

I wouldn't get into any issues with them. Everyone (almost) here has give you good advice. It's your home. They are the guests. You do what you want. They can't pray at the dinner table without your permission. If they do it anyway, I would just eat or sit looking straight ahead while they do it. As for inviting you to meetings, make it clear you are not even a tiny bit interested in their religion. No reason is necessary. It's private and you don't want to offend.

If they insist on talking about it, say "This country promises freedom of religion. I respect your freedom. You have to respect mine. I'm not interested/"

• Agnes
    Agnes

Thank you all for your responses and the great advice. You all are such fine people and are always so willing to offer support and I feel better just having asked for it.

The relatives that will be visiting for the week are two of my husbands siblings and their spouses, and a friend that we have never met. We did invite them to visit since we knew they were going to be close by and we do want to see them. Guess we are a little curious as to what this visit will bring.

Elsewhere, Maya, Valis, you made me laugh, but I think I'll have to pass on that squirt bottle and wooden cross, and the widescreen TV idea too. Might change my mind before the week is up.

Maya, I need to remember your advice to shut them down immediately. I think you're right.

Valis, I like your idea about not giving them a platform to preach on. Guess I'll have to keep my complaining about government, etc to myself. Don't care if they pray before a meal (we sometimes say Grace), and have no problem turning down their invtiation to attend a meeting. I must admit, I wouldn't find it as easy to decline an offer to say a prayer with them, but I will! Thanks for welcoming me.

Maya & Willyloman, I will remember your advice "We respect your beliefs, but while you're in my home, you must respect ours."

Country Girl, we're not intimidated, really. It's just that there always seems to be a new tactic to try and sway us into letting them have control.

Calamity Jane, my husband already suggested retaliating with politics. I'll bet that would work!

95, you are absolutely right, they know we aren't interested already and I don't mind telling them again. We have always been honest about this, so it wouldn't be a surprise.

Somebody, I'll try to be as polite as your suggestion. Thanks

Garybuss, you sound like my husband "Interesting!" Hope you're right about them not bringing it all up, that would be a surprise!

Sassy, I'm aware of this tactic, but impressing us with what wonderful folks they are hasn't worked for them so far! he he

Mulan, I have read so many of your posts and you always give such wonderful insight and advice. Thank you again.

Don't know if you realize how powerful your advice and support is. Now I feel like I can handle any situation that comes up. Thanks again!

• acsot
    acsot
    I wouldn't find it as easy to decline an offer to say a prayer with them, but I will!

Since you mentioned that you already say grace yourselves on occasion, and since a the best defense is a good offense, tell them you say grace before they mention anything about their prayers.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Agnes. Good luck.

Let us know how it goes.

I can tell you from personal expereince, that when witnesses, get away on a trip to unwind, and are with people they know are not going "to report on them" they tend to loosen up a bit. You may actually have a good time.

xjw_b12 who remembers fondly those "weekends away"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit