Forced taxation of branch overseer in Sweden ............

by TheOldHippie 23 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• happy man
    happy man

I read this todAY, BUT DONT FORGET IT IS 1 APRIL, THINK THIS IS A BIGG JOKE.

• Gordy
    Gordy

Please, Please don't let it be a joke.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Question... is this the general policy towards religious income in Sweden? Or does this indicate that the JWs are being treated differently from more mainstream religions?

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

I honestly think all religions and paid clergy should be taxed. Some of these Televangelists make tons of money and own millions of dollars in private property, all tax free.

Devon

There is more money made in the name of God.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

**The constitution of the US seems to preclude this happening here, at least so far. Thomas Jefferson said, "the power to tax is the power to destroy**

Hmmm....Do I hear the term "Revenue Enhancement" in the distance?

KNOWING the corporate wealth of the WTS; the "keep your eye simple" Patterson Complex, and the cost of the chandeliere at the Stanley Theater that would feed a small country if it were sold...I'd say that taxation and/or revenue enhancement are long overdue. The WTS needs to be scrutinized.

Annie

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

I think this is a great idea. I wonder how much income tax COs and DOs pay? Some of those guys make a lot of money.

• Maverick
    Maverick

I'd like to see all religions pay a flat property and income tax. The community plays for the services they receive now, such as fire and police protection and street maintainance. Many cities and towns are struggling to keep their communities in the black fiscally and some of the most valuable property is not taxed! I heard that the Chatholic Church is the tenth largest landholder in America. I don't know if that is true or not but I sure don't like my tax dollar supporting some religious group!

The JW's claim they don't have a paid clergy class, what bunk! The Governing body, DO's and CO's only work for the church full time. Who pays for their housing, clothing, food and transportation? And what do us working stiffs do with our money? We pay for housing, clothing, food and transportation! Maverick

• blondie
    blondie

Part of the taxation issue might be documenting their property and other holdings. Taxing churches in the US could violate the principle behind the separation of church and state, many people came to the US to escape government meddling through taxation of relgious bodies and then doctrine.

Blondie (no history major)

• Room 215
    Room 215

The WTBTS's problems in Europe stem in large part from a growing awareness that the Society's definition of ``charitable works" differs significantly from that of the mainstream religions in that it means nothing more than the distribution of their literature and excludes volunteerism in areas such as orphanages, hospitals, soup kitchens, shelters for the homeless and abused, etc. etc.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12
    Blondie (no history major)

Except when it comes to the WTBTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit