Anyone been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder?

by YellowLab 25 Replies latest watchtower medical

• YellowLab
    YellowLab

I was recently diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder and depression at 32 years old. I also have obsessive/compulsive tendencies (OCD), as well as mild motor and vocal tics since I was very young (characteristic of Tourette's Syndrome). I'm currently on medication. As you can imagine, having these qualities and being unable to seek out professional help or being denied ever having a problem while being a Dub was emotionally and psychologically devastating.

I'm interested to hear from anyone who has had similar experiences.

YellowLab

• gespro
    gespro

Hi Yellowlab!

I've been through some mess in my time. Diagnosed clinical depression (I think that's the term) given many an anti-deppressant and years later being told by another doc I have ADD, Ritalin and some other heavy duty meds.

I've been mis-diagnosed by the best of them. Not to say that all doctors have an agenda of dolling out meds to avoid the 'real' work of therapy (reason being they haven't done that kind of work on themselves-resolving their own inner conflicts of say, childhood trauma) a 'good' doctor will follow the AMA text book on mental health.

Come to find out all of this is childhood trauma. And it has a lot to do with the mentality that makes the Borg tick. I've been doing research and it's staring to make sense...

I've wasted a lot of time in and out of the borg trying to get 'well' and I have found a Doc who is on the right track. Here is the link.

http://www.cbwhit.com/

I deeply respect these people. They live here in Atlanta and I have a chance to work things out in person with them.

My you find healling if not quickly, permenantly.

g

• Sassy
    Sassy

My son had it severely. We had him in medications and in an out of therapists for years. He's 19 now and deals with it without meds at the moment.

My boyfriend and another friend as well also has it. There are so many different degrees of how it can affect you. I have heard there is a new medication out there now that is like a breakthrough for the disease.

• Gerard
  • LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I have had two doctors tell me I had ADD,,,,and I have always known that. I have been hyper all my life. I also will be honest and say I have a mild form of bipolar disorder,,,,,,,,not the severe Bipolar I as my mother had,,,,,,,,but the one where you feel alot of energy , manic, but you don't have psyhcotic thougths. But soon the high I would feel would turn to total complete irritation and anger, mood swings.

Now doctors are saying that bipolar and ADD may be the same thing, or so very closely related.

They also say that with these chemical malfunctions in the brain , they are very closely connected to seizures. Some seizures as you know are the Grand Mal type,,,,,,,others can be so sublte that all a person , watching someone with this , would see a slight personality change. Some people just stare in space for several minutes and don't even realize they have this.

I had depression so bad as a JW,,,,,,,,,,and it was for many reasons,,,,not just chemicals in my brain out of wack, although they were.

Now I stay on my meds,,,,,,,,and I am fine.....I hate to take meds, but if I don't I hate myself, and I am sure that my family hates me as well........lol.

For along time I didnt want to say that I was bipolar because it gets such a bad rap,,,,,,,people hear that word,,,,,or the older term manic depressive and they think you are an evil, crazy, hell raising, B*tch!!. Well, I know I can be,,,,,,,but that is just my personality anyway....... lol.
    But my point, is that not all people with this disorder do extreame things that cause terrible havoc as much as some people are lead to believe. Some cases are mild. I hope that mine never get worse, as they say it can the older ya get,,,,,,,darnit........but I will always keep an eye on myself. Thank goodness I have my family around to also make sure I am taking my meds,,,,,which are very , very low doses. I take Wellbutrin ( antidepressant shown to be especially helpful for mild bipolar mood stabalization) and Klonopin( antiseizure drug, and a benzodiazpine(sp) addictive thou). I take such a low dose I just feel better,,,,,,, I have no side effects except for the feeling of being in a level mood .

• Sassy
    Sassy

I thought you couldn't take Wellbrutin with alcohol Lyin? that was what one of my son's drs told me. He told me that it could cause you to go into a coma...

Interesting comment regarding BiPolar and ADD being closely linked. I do not have a great amount of information on bipolar, but when I would speak to people who were talking about bipolar symptoms, many times they sounded familiar to some my son had being ADD.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Just about any prescription drug will say not to mix alcohol with them. But especially antidepressants. Alcohol is a depressant, so it can null and void your meds if you drink alot.

I can tell you in my case, I have drank while on this med and had no reaction, at all , no coma , nothing. But nowdays, I take my meds in the morning,,,,late afternoon, and if I have a drink it is late in the evening. I am really watching my drinking because of the depressant effect and not mixing it with the other meds,,,,,but once or twice a week I drink beer , or have a whiskey sour. I just have to control the drinking , just balance myself.

Wellbutrin has a higher than rate of seizures happening , even for those who have never had a seizure, than other antidepressants. I have had no problems with the drug at all. But you know everyone is different. My hubby can take an allergy pill and be wired and freaky acting all day.....hehe. I on the other hand need elephant tranquilizers to knock my stubbord , hyper ass out!!!!!!!!

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

My sister, a psychologist, and her boss did a "forensic diagnosis" on me and decided I had ADD...I don't know...it's made me a good and entertaining instructor.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Well , Yeru, ya know ,,,,,we get to the point of accepting ourselves the way we are,,,,the good parts , the bad parts and the confusing parts,,,,,which includes everything we are talking about in this thread.

There are so many hard things to deal with when you have ADD, OCD ( my youngest son has both of these) or Bipolar ( I suspect my oldest son has the level of this as I do.....geeshhh),,but you have to love yourself despite it.

It is interesting that many people with bipolar, ADD,,,are very creative, intuitive, artistic, types of people. Usually they have high intelligence ( in my case not so sure about that,,,,hehe) and are very expressive, compassionate, lively, adventurous people. I am thankful for the great mediations and books written to help those of us who have lived with this our whole lives, or lived with someone who has this.

A great couple of books about Bipolar Disorder.......Patty Duke,,,,,A Brilliant Mind ( She actually has one written before this one about the her fight within herself and finding out she was bipolar)

Unquiet Mind........have to look the author up on that one.......true life story of a woman doctor with this disorder.

Dede.........who believes Knowledge is Power.

• Sassy
    Sassy
    My hubby can take an allergy pill and be wired and freaky acting

I remember the time I took my sons pills by accident.. we were rushing around getting ready for work and school and instead of handing him his pills.. I took them instead of my high blood pressure pills.. I forget which pill it was.. but it was one that makes NON ADD people WIRED... oh my... I was soooo drugged up! I tried to throw up the pills but I couldn't..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit