Public meeting tradition

by got my forty homey? 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

Anyone remember the unwritten tradition that the Sunday public speaker would do the closing parayer for the meeting? Thats if he stayed for the Watchtower study!

• Dismembered
  • Dismembered
  • mineralogist
    mineralogist

I don't know it another way. Was it different someone before 1990? What is it with this rule - any problems?

just a little bit confused about this topic

• Quotes
    Quotes

I remember this too, Mr. Public Talk gives prayer, if he bothered to stick around.

I also recal the "Brothers, would you like to send your love and greetings with Mr. Public Talk to the brothers in the Braindead Congregation" followed by "golf clap".

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

Yeah! Like he would record the applause in a tape recorder or express verbally "they really clapped loud for you!"

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

>>I remember this too, Mr. Public Talk gives prayer, if he bothered to stick around

When the prayer was announced, and the visiting speaker DIDN'T give it, I always turned around to see if he really WAS gone.......<shrug> Dunno why I did that, LOL!

hugs,

Annie

• TRUTH SEEKER
    TRUTH SEEKER

My best friends dad was an Elder, and it was always fun to go to the visiting congregations (out of the usual rut you know) and he made it very clear that we had to stay until the meeting was over so he could give the prayer.

• joenobody
    joenobody

They don't do that anymore with the prayer nor send a love-mail back to his hall?

• Noumenon
    Noumenon

Why is it called a public meeting anyway. What's so public about it. no one knows about the talks, no one cares, they're never advertised.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit