To Partake or Not to Partake THAT IS THE QUESTION!

by etan 4 U 36 Replies latest jw friends

• ignorance is strength
    ignorance is strength

Ozziepost,

During Easter both wine and bread are given, but this is not done every Sunday in Canada because of the difficulties associated with it. For example, the cost; the wine must be specially organic. The belief is that the eucharist, under both types of eucharist (bread and wine), contain the "body, blood, soul, and divinity" of Christ. In my parish, some people only take the wine every Sunday after the priest because they cannot have gluten (?).

Yerusalyim, dominus tecum. Yes Rome is a sweet home, and Scott Hahn did have a part to play .

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    The most obscure possible meaning for the translation of the greek used in the passage is "means", the most common is..."IS." This, taken with the totality of scripture..i.e. John 6 (My flesh is real food, my blood real drink)...COR 11:29 "For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord..." and the Witness of the Church Fathers from earliest times can only lead to the conclusion that the early Christians recognized this NOT as a symbol, but as the actual body and blood of Christ.

But when you say "the actual body and blood of Christ", you mean something different than the actual meaning of "actual". The bread clearly does not transform into flesh in any real, measurable sense, nor does the wine become blood. They remain as bread and wine respectively and would be recognised as such by anybody who cared to check. You seem to simply be defining the bread and wine as being the flesh and blood of Christ, ignoring all the normal rules of definition for an article of faith.

• badboy
    badboy

Has anyone checked to see if there is any PAGAN significance as in HOLY GRAIL?

Passing around the cup,that is!!

• Corvin
    Corvin
    Has anyone checked to see if there is any PAGAN significance as in HOLY GRAIL?

Well, as I understand it, the actual cup that Jesus passed around the table on the passover has been sought after for centuries.

After making a keyword search of the WT 2001 Library; holy grail, chalice, cup of christ, but I could not find any discussion on the Holy Grail and its significance. They seem to avoid the topic altogether. The wtbts does not seem to have any viewpoint on the cup of Christ. Interesting.

I really found Dan Brown's story, The Davinci Code, very intriguing. What he asserts to be the actual "cup of Christ" blew my mind. It was a fictional story interlaced with much historical fact. A very fascinating read.

• badboy
    badboy

I saw a film about the Holy Grail,its seems that the reason the church wasn't too taken up with the story was that the story was of pagan origin.

• heathen
    heathen

AFA I know there was never any scriptual signifigance to the cup that was used in the ritual . Movies like the last crusade or holy grail are based on fiction the english can't even prove there was a king arthur. The cup itself did not represent jesus in any way shape or form but the wine inside the cup that was blessed became of vital importance and represented the righteous blood of christ that would redeem mankind . Of course the ritual had to be performed properly otherwise it would bring judgement or a death sentence .

funkyderek does have a point that the bread and wine do not change into body and blood literally .

• LayingLow
    LayingLow

This is long after this discussion has ended but I thought I might add something... In Justin Martyr's Dialogue with Tryphos http://www.ccel.org/ You can find it there. He discusses Christ's Blood (The fruit of the vine) He discusses the connection of Mithras and others with demons and explains there odd similarities (As well as sons of Jupiter) He is a 2nd century Christian and this Dialogue was commited to writing no later than 165 A.D. He appealed to scripture often, and I think it would be helpful to some.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit