• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Link: http://www.kfmb.com/topstory23619.html

High Electric Bill Leads To Calif. Police Raid

Homeowner Demands Written Apology

POSTED: 11:13 a.m. EST March 28, 2004

CARLSBAD HOME POWER BILL PROMPTS POT PROBE

Printer-friendly version

(03-28-2004) - When police noticed Dina Dagy's family was spending $250 to $300 a month on electricity, they suspected a marijuana farm was flourishing under high-intensity lights inside their suburban home.

What they found when they showed up with a drug-sniffing dog and a search warrant was a wife and mother who does several loads of laundry a day, keeps a dishwashing machine going, has three electricity-guzzling computers and three kids who can't remember to turn the lights out when they leave a room.

"It's hard to believe a high utility bill would be enough to issue a state warrant," said Dagy, who is demanding the Police Department issue a written apology.

Authorities say they have already apologized verbally several times and were only following proper procedures. Tracking down marijuana growers by reviewing electricity bills, they say, is a common practice.

"I understand they feel something isn't appropriate here, but it is very much consistent with how search warrants are prepared," said police Lt. Bill Rowland.

When authorities noticed how high the bill for the Dagy home was, they sent a police dog to the neighborhood, and it reacted as though it had smelled drugs.

They also noticed the family had put its trash out that morning, something police say drug growers often do to hide the evidence. In the Dagys' case, however, it was trash day.

When officers returned on March 19 with a search warrant, Dagy was volunteering at her son's second-grade class. She was heading back to her car when police arrived at the school, and she returned home and let them into the house.

They found nothing illegal, and she says she feels fortunate she wasn't in her son's classroom when they arrived.

"I would have been so embarrassed," she said, "and my son would have died: `They're taking your mommy away!'"

• Maya
    Maya

Between this and the "no warrant" searches in Louisiana, Canada is looking better and better..............

• Satanus
    Satanus

I've heard that there is some electrical monitoring here in canada too. Some growers tap in ahead of the meters or hide in long term hotels.

SS

• Maya
    Maya

Just great.......Well then, England is looking better and better.................

• Satanus
    Satanus

Though, having the stuff is treated like breaking the speed limit; you just get a fine.

SS

• talesin
    talesin

*lol* @ SS

yes, I know what you

heheh

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Unbelievable! I should be 'spectin' the police anyday now! Our bill runs $300/mo without running the air conditioner! Don't the cops in CA know that CA residents are being gouged by PG&E and Southern Cal Edison? Musta been a slow crime day.....

growedup

• cypher50
    cypher50

Someone should arrest the execs at the electric utilities for theft...$300?! My last electric bill here was only $41.15...even during the summer, it only gets as high as $110 and that is because I have the AC on all the time.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

and three kids who can't remember to turn the lights out when they leave a room.

I guess I should be expecting a visit any time now!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

This is VERY disturbing! It seems to me that the act of mass-reviews of electric bills is an unreasonable search! Right now it is illegal for them to compair fingerprints agains the records at the DMV... so why is it ok for them to look at our private bills?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit