The people who write Watchtower articles - what do you know about them?

by truthseeker 27 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I don't know if this topic has been discussed before, but I have some questions about how witnesses get to write articles in the Watchtower.

While reading a few of Maximums' posts from 2 years ago, there was one from Barbara Anderson who briefly described the internal politics between the editors of the Awake and the editors of the Watchtower.

I'm more interested in the Watchtower writers though than the Awake, as this is supposed to be the "spiritual food" we are all to take in and absorb.

So how does one get to be a watchtower writer? Do you have to be able to write well?

What are your experiences with any writers you have met? Are they arrogant, know it all or humble?

A year or two back, the Society in their media section had a comment from a certain Robert Peevey? who wrote for the Watchtower - I think one of those who ammended the "disfelloshipping" question on their website dealing with beliefs and practices of Jehovah's Witnesses. Has anyone ever met him?

How does one go about writing a watchtower study article and are they still read by the governing body?

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Hi Truthseeker,

I don't know if this topic has been discussed before, but I have some questions about how witnesses get to write articles in the Watchtower.

I believe that if you search AlanF topics and posts, you may find good comments on this. Also, Ray Franz describes this process in his book, Crisis of Conscience.

While reading a few of Maximums' posts from 2 years ago, there was one from Barbara Anderson who briefly described the internal politics between the editors of the Awake and the editors of the Watchtower.

Yep. Actually, Barbara did not make a post ... rather, Maximus took her comments from another source.

I'm more interested in the Watchtower writers though than the Awake, as this is supposed to be the "spiritual food" we are all to take in and absorb.

The "Watchtower" is often still referred to as the "backbone" of the organization ... yet, I believe that the same people are involved in both of these phamplets.

So how does one get to be a watchtower writer? Do you have to be able to write well?

Like most JWs, I never knew anything about this process of becoming a writer for the Society ... but, I can say that from my research, many discussions with people who have been to Bethel and other researchers like AlanF, etc. and reading Crisis of Conscience by Ray Franz, that the Society does not use educated journalists ... that is these people are not formally trained. Rather, those responsible for article content rely on subordinates who have some measure of talent. And nowadays, the articles are edited by circular through committee ... that is they are reviewed by several key people including members of the Governing Body, each making notes in their own assigned color of pen ... and then eventually gets approved by the head of the writing department.

What are your experiences with any writers you have met? Are they arrogant, know it all or humble?

AlanF has met a couple of these by phone and in person ... PM him with this question, because he has some fascinating comments to make.

A year or two back, the Society in their media section had a comment from a certain Robert Peevey? who wrote for the Watchtower - I think one of those who ammended the "disfelloshipping" question on their website dealing with beliefs and practices of Jehovah's Witnesses. Has anyone ever met him?

Not me.

How does one go about writing a watchtower study article and are they still read by the governing body?

I am not sure that a study article is necessarily written by just one person ... those these little articles are small enough that I would think the 6th grade mentality of their writers should be able to handle it ... I don't mean that as sarcasm ... it is just that their articles are written by people who obviously intend to reach people with little education ... enough to read somewhat ... so this should not be too great a task.

And yes, as noted above, members of the Governing Body who are involved with teaching and writing cmmittees do review these articles for editorial purposes ... at least according to recent discussions I have had with people who work or worked at Bethel.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Thanks Amazing for your insights! I will pm AlanF and get his input.

I have noticed that the writers like to use these words a lot, more so when telling members what to do...

Granted,

Admittedly,

True,

These words accept the reasons why people do and believe things, but use of these words is almost always followed by a rebuttal.

Example...

Granted, it may not be easy to attend all the meetings. But, how does Jehovah view the matter?

Admittedly, many have trouble finding time to study with their children on a regular basis. But, what is more important?

True, you may feel overloaded with homework wondering how you can get it all done? But, if you do homework as soon as you get home from school, you will be able to attend all the meetings.

These words, granted, admittedly and true, are used very frequently in watchtower publications. I call them rebuttal words.

• gumby
    gumby

It really doesn't matter who writes for the society because EVERY message these writers convey is based off of a blueprint that is used as a guidebook. This 'blueprint' is what C.T. Russell, J. Rutherford, and F. Franz created. It is "official Watchtower Policy, proceedure, and doctrines". Every article written MUST be in the guidlines of watchtower teachings with absolutely no opinion from the writer........unless the writer was one of the ones I mentioned.

That's why every article is repetitious in statements, scripture, etc............and BORING as hell!

Gumby

• abbagail
    abbagail

Amazing1914 wrote:

"...And nowadays, the articles are edited by circular through committee ... that is they are reviewed by several key people including members of the Governing Body, each making notes in their own assigned color of pen ...

LOL, that struck me so funny, a bunch of older men sitting around the Big Table with their own colored "crayons" to edit the articles with. Heehee. Reminds me of when I was seeing my favorite 'shrink' of all time in the late 90's... I would take him non-JW articles (medical stuff) I had printed out and underlined all over the place. He was amazed by all that underlining and colors, etc. I told him I never did that in my life until I became a JW and began doing it because everybody else was doing it, LOL. He said, "Yeah, but I bet they didn't uderline/color as much as you do..." HEY, I resemble that statement! and I respectfully beg to differ, doc! Especially after reading about the GB and their colored pens, lol.

--------

TS wrote:

"Granted,

Admittedly,

True,

These words accept the reasons why people do and believe things, but use of these words is almost always followed by a rebuttal."

Nifty observation, TS.

Rebuttal = MAJOR GUILT TRIP.

Abbagail

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello,

I know a number of the Writing Personnel. There is no real separation between the writers of the Awake or WTS articles, they are often written by the same people, though the Awake does accept donated articles, which are often heavily edited before publication.

For the most part I have found these researchers and writers to be decent people who while not professionals *are* trained in research techniques, and some grow into very good "researchers" and writers. The problem is that their "research" can never be presented in anything but a baised manner, hence my highlighting of the word in this sentence.. As one member of Writing once described his work, "My job is like wading through manure to find the pearl". What he meant was that he read numerous reams of theological and other literature with a view to finding anything that bolstered WTS doctrine and discarding the rest as 'manure'.

An example of this is the WTS conspiracy theory regarding the ommission of the Tetragrammaton in all the early Christian texts. When I spoke about this to one aquaintance in Writing he showed me an obscure comment, in an obscure C19th book, that slightly hinted at this conspiracy theory. He was prepared to ignore the conclusions of *all* other literature based on this one comment. This is not real research, it is a completely distorted and deliberate misrepresentation of the facts, but it it is being obedient to the hierarchy.

I have yet to meet a member of Writing who does not speak of the continual frustration of having their articles butchered as it goes along the chain of command, especially when checked by Legal. Subsequently, the articles never read with any spontaneity, but generally lack emotion and are presented with an aura of the sterilized .

I am sure that Narkissos might have a point or two to add if he sees this thread.

Best regards - HS

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

In my time being raised as a dub in the NYC area I knew many Bethel "heavies" and several were in the writing department. I know for a fact that Sam Buck has written several Watchtower articles. He was my table head for a while when I first entered bethel. My Father growing up in the Lower East Side and attending meetings as a youth remembers Sam Buck as newbie Bethelite and that was in the 1950's. Sam Buck is a very quiet person, a little sanctimonious in his own right, not a very talkitive person and I guess like many Bethel Heavies is a master polictician.

JR Brown also served in the writing department and I remember him as my Circuit Overseer as a young boy in the 1970's. He always seemed to be a down to earth and genuinely in love with the Org, however lately after reading his press releases and so forth he's sold out and has probably become one of the inner circle scratching and clawing his way to the top.

The last one who I knew just before I left the org and was my congo's PO was Sam Friend. Sam was a good ole country boy who loved full time service and sharing his stories of pioneering and BS. Sam was rumored to have written Watchtower articles and once admitted to my Father that he was dispointed that he was not named a "Nephilim" helper or what ever and that his major weakness in life was that he was always concerned with titles and positions. DUH!

In the book's Christian Freedom and Crisis of Conscience Sam Friend and Sam Buck are mentioned, and I can say I guess that I knew them personally from a young age, however when it came to being in Bethel, these guys didn't want to know me or anything about me.

Sam Friend had a brief singing career in the 40's singing Oh Brother were art thou type of music and since he was a "entertainer" he was in charge of the annual Bethel family night in which a comedy show was put together with puppets and dancing. It was strictly enforced that NO ONE bring in camera's or recorder's for fear that these images would go out to the "regular" publishers and Bethel would be looked down upon.

• scotsman
    scotsman

I was friends with a chap that ended up in the Writing Dept of a non-Brooklyn Bethel. When I started University, and was an elder, he asked me to carry out some research for him in our Divinity Library. For one particular article he wanted me to find material that made a direct connection between Babylonian festivities and present New Year celebrations. The books he had me looking at were mainly late 19th and early 20th century and it felt like grasping at straws.

He was a decent guy with great taste in music and a cool and clever wife. Hopefully he'll escape.

• cypher50
    cypher50
    Sam Friend had a brief singing career in the 40's singing Oh Brother were art thou type of music and since he was a "entertainer" he was in charge of the annual Bethel family night in which a comedy show was put together with puppets and dancing. It was strictly enforced that NO ONE bring in camera's or recorder's for fear that these images would go out to the "regular" publishers and Bethel would be looked down upon.

For what? Having some fun? Even as a Witness, I always wondered why so many people viewed worship as having to be some guilt-driven, depressing, & overly formal affair. Besides, everyone needs to have some fun once in awhile...I used to feel so bad when a Bethel brother would be talking to me at the meeting and get all excited when I mentioned that I have a Playstation and was willing to lend him a game or two. The conversation would get much quieter as if I was sneaking cigs into prison...

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

This was the type of place Bethel was. I remember one day a friend of mine whose last name was the same as mine and he was also Puerto Rican from Florida and he enjoyed rap music like a did. Well it was a boring time of the day in the shop and he and I were doing a rap dance, sort of like break dancing and it so happened that the Assis. dept. overseer walked past us and stopped and stared looking at us like we were crazy.

What was the big deal? We were just dancing! We weren't having sex in the middle of the shop floor!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit