Are you a blood donor?

by TonyT 19 Replies latest jw friends

• TonyT
    TonyT

A couple of years ago, the Red Cross had several blood donation trailers set up at a festival . Since I had time to kill, I donated. It seems like there is always a critical blood supply shortage hard to deal with ? because since that time, every 6 weeks I get a donation request. I try to help when I can and I mentioned this to a fellow former dub he said that he could never do that. He had no problem living with his GF and abandoned borg teachings but still would not give blood. Would you donate blood?

• Gadget
    Gadget

I would donate blood, but am not allowed to at present until one year has passed since my last tattoo/piercing.

• Princess
    Princess
    I would donate blood, but am not allowed to at present until one year has passed since my last tattoo/piercing.

<----------ditto

• Wallflower
    Wallflower

I would love to, but was told at the clinic, that because I take so many pills for my diabetes, that I can't. If a normal person had my blood they would go hypo because of all the sugar munching drugs. I've got veins full of it.....scarey!

• Celtic
    Celtic

Strange one this, because this particular teaching was so drilled into us.

Would I? No, even now, nope, couldn't do it.

Could I receive it? Same answer, would rather kick the bucket instead.

Daft innit?

Celt

• Nadsam
    Nadsam

Of course I'll donate, of course I'll partake,make no mistake,i'll even eat raw steak

Nadsam ...rhyming APOSTATE....who eats the BLOOD ! platellets and all because he CAN

• talesin
    talesin

Yes, but my blood's no good, they won't take it.

But I'm on the Bone Marrow Registry.

Celty,

You are SO right - it took me a long time to change my mind on this one. The thought literally sickened me. They really do a good job with the NO BLOOD brainwashing.

Then, a couple years ago, I was hemmoraging (sp) and faced with the issue - it was a life-or-death situation. Fortunately, my next of kin (partner) signed for me, and the operation ended up sucessful without a transfusion. Phew ! Since then, I've done a lot of thinking about it.

Tell me, what about processed meats - I don't eat a lot of meat, but I enjoy the occasional hot dog. (heheh) Remember how they were about that? OMG, can't eat a hot dog unless it's brand X. They have *shudder* BLOOD in them! Do you find that is still an issue for you? It took me a few years to be able to eat a brand Y hot dog, how about you??

tal

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

What does a person do to get on the bone marrow registry? What does it entail? I have already broke one of the ten commandments so I would probably take blood if it was the only way to save my life. And yes I would give blood if there was a shortage.

OrangefatcatOrangeFatCat 15HeartsHearts

• Valis
    Valis

yes please do let me know...I'm starving...I haven't fed in ages..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer of the 'Sharp Canines" class

• talesin
    talesin

OFC

Just call the Red Cross, I assume it would now be the Canadian Blood Service, ie. whichever agency takes care of blood donations in your province.

They will test your blood (just take a sample, same as any medical test) and put you on the Registry. You sign some paperwork. Then it's just a matter of letting them know if you change your address/phone number.

If and when your marrow is needed, they will contact you. Then, you go to the hospital for an outpatient procedure. You are given a local anaesthetic (freezing), and they extract the marrow from your hipbone with a needle. I have a friend who has had it done, she said it's not very painful, just that your hip is sore for a couple days.

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit