When you left being a JW?

by Sassy 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sassy
    Sassy

Did you for a time think it was still the only true religion and that you were just condemned as long as you were out. I read a comment by Ghosthunter today that kind of echoed my feelings. I know if I had never read the things I had read here, I'd still have left, for I did that before reading and learning, but I would have been out without the freedom from guilt and damnation.....

If the net was not here, I would have hated myself for thinking I couldn't be a good christian, for not following rules, for disapointing everyone who loved me..

Now I know some of you left or are fading because of learning FIRST the truth about the WTS... but I wondered how many were like me... you quit even if you thought it was the only way to please God and you failed him??

• talesin
    talesin

Yes, Sassy, that would be me.

There were some really bad experiences I had ... and I had moved to 'serve where the need was greater'. Well, I saw an elder ripping off employees of his business OPENLY and nothing was said. What a sleazy operator he was. My friends (pine-ear buddies) were all getting drunk, doing the usual teenage stuff :) but I was shocked, good little JW girl that I was.

Then a pine-ear friend of mine suicided because he was gay, and so depressed, which I chalk up to the JWs. I didn't even realize that he was gay, till after they found him in his apartment, dead at 17.

So I left. I was bitter and disillusioned. It took me years to erase their teachings from my mind and heart. But I had no support, and little information. Now, we have the net. Hopefully, with all the information available and the support network you have, it will be a quicker process for you.

talesin

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

At first when I started my fading in 1988 I was very worried and scared. Then I was Df'ed in 1990 and tried for several months attedning meetings to come back, but then I couldn't do it anymore. I didn't understand why I had to attend meetings for a certain amount of time and then write a letter of reinstatement? Where is this written in the Bible?

Bottom line is that when I did serve as a pioneer and Bethelite I did it out of the bottom of my heart because I felt I was doing something right and good. And if there is a Jehovah and a armageddon and he can see all, he should see that I was treated unfairly in Bethel and was very discouraged and stumbled and loss all interest.

But after 16 years of not attending meetings and fading out forgetta a bout it!!!!!!

• sandy
    sandy

I stopped attending the hall out of embarrassment as I have already told some of you here . I have good

reason to think that some in the congregation knew details about my "sins" after my judicial meeting. I

couldn't show my face back in the hall after that. I felt guilty for that, for not being "humble" and

facing the challenge. I used to think I ran away from my shame because I was spiritually weak. If I were

stronger I would have been able to handle it. I used to say one day I'll go back and get it right take the

"truth" more seriously. I don't feel like that anymore, thank goodness. My head is just about screwed on

right now.

• seedy3
    seedy3

I just wanted out, and at first I guess I was resolved to die in the "Great day of Jehovah", but it was not too long and I figured out that it was not the truth, then a little while later, I started my research onto religions and figured out that religions are pretty much full of myths and trickery anyhow, especially christianity, so I really got over my fear of the GREAT death that I had feared for so long.

Seedy

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

I was really really confused. I always had doubts, but hung in there and stuffed it. It finally came to a critical point where the atrocities were screaming in my face and I could no longer swallow it. Even though I knew that it was all wrong with the WT I felt like I was at fault. I was still like a Borg part human and part machine. My logical mind knew what was reality, but part of me was still reacting like a JW. At one point I was going to commit suicide, but slapped myself awake. I figured at that point I would at least try and be of some good in the world thinking of the old bible scripture--better a live dog than a dead lion. I have evolved since then and don't think I am a dog anymore. I am better now--and much happier, but very angry with the Org for all the pain they have caused myself and others...

• garybuss
    garybuss

When I left in 1974 there wasn't a network of former members like there is now. I had only heard of one book written by a former Witness and I had no desire to read it. I was sick of the lies and the attitudes and the nit picking and the meetings and the pressure to do door to door literature distribution and I just knew I didn't want to be a Witness. I knew they were wrong but I never looked into the doctrines. I didn't like religion and stayed away from it.

On a rational level I was not a believer but on a subconscious level I was living with the dread of impending doom that came from being raised in an apocalyptic high control group. I had many issues with perception that I have the Witness people to thank for.

I think the worse part was a chronic loneliness that came from the tendency to isolate after leaving the group. That loneliness was actually rather hard to treat. I really didn't know how to make friends. The perception of having friends is one of the elements of the Witness group that I was associated with. Those relationships were conditional but that was no surprise because we were taught the associations were conditional from a young age.

In the real world among healthy people, friends are earned, not assigned. Making friends was a skill I had to learn, one of many.

Another thing that stunted me socially was my reluctance to trust people or let anybody get close to me. That was a protection and a product of the rejection I experienced after I quit associating with the Witness people. That led to the tendency to isolate, and the isolation led to the loneliness. So the way out of it was to learn to trust people again. Then I set out to make some new friends.

I had to learn to be non confrontational. The Witnesses had me trained to be confrontational and argumentative. Those are two useless tools in my new healthy happy life. Those traits are not on too many people's list of things they want in a friend. So those didn't need to be restrained, they needed to be all but eliminated.

In business, my closes were a tad hard too so I had to learn to do a soft close and quit flipping questions like the Witnesses trained me to do. So, after I left the Witnesses, my selling much improved, my interpersonal relationships are better, I have accept my mortality and the reality that I don't know all the answers. I have learned to make friends, to play, to work, to save, to travel and to enjoy nature and people. Basically I think I am still a work in progress. GaryB

• aunthill
    aunthill

Yes, I felt they had the truth(tm) for the most part, but the things I took issue with were big things, to me, anyway. Kind of like the elephant in the living room. But I had to get out because I just couldn't support some of the things they were teaching, not to mention the abuse heaped on us from the platform was just making me feel so worthless I couldn't stand myself.

It took me several years to overcome the indoctrination before I could even go sit through a church service.

Aunthill

• flower
    flower

I stopped going to most of the meetings for a couple years because I just couldnt handle it anymore not because I didnt believe it to be the truth. In fact, it was all I knew to be true and therefore I felt crushing guilt each day for not doing what Jehover commanded. Eventually I gave up the guilt and resigned myself to the fact that I would enjoy life to the extent that it was possible until the big A came and wiped me out with all the other wicked people. I didnt fit in the world of course and I often wished that the big A would come sooner. The only prayers I made in those days were asking DOG to have a little mercy and not make me wait for the big A before he off'd me. Perhaps a nice big bus or a sudden coronary.

I was not bothered (nor encouraged) by the JW's except for my mothers regular and rather robotic comments that they 'missed me at the meetings'. However, whilst a nieve and lonely 'inactive' witness, unaware of the ways of the world, and mildly suicidal, I became a mother and no longer considered my current course an option since my new baby should not have to suffer my same fate.

In a state of sincere repentance I went to DOG in prayer and then to the god wannabe's elders and requested reinstatement and in a cryin heap begged for forgiveness for sins. After two sessions of intense questionings solely about my sexual experience, I learned quite a bit more about sex than I knew before, and that Jehover had rejected my prayers. I concluded I must have committed that infamous unforgivable sin and decided to decline thier invitation for another sex talk judicial meeting. I was told by mother my df'ing had been annouced one Tuesday evening.

Therefore whilst a sufferer of post partum depression, being single and a mother to a 3 month old, going back to work full time with a 2.5 hour commute round trip, a high stress corporate job, sleeping a couple or a few hours each night while trying to nurse and take care of a baby, and feeling the pressure of mounting late bills and eviction notices, I now had the added burden of knowing that I was the cause of my sweet babys death because I didnt have what it took to be one of DOG's faithful servants.

My first panic attack shouldnt have come as a surprise with all that I was going through however it was the beginning of about 4 months of mental and emotional hell culminating in a one week stay at the local psych hospital not due to any action on my part but because of something I said to an online friend about how if I were to off myself I certainly would never leave my son to be raised by my wacked out family.

I got myself together and decided to make my little ones life as happy as possible whilst we waited for the big A.

Then I stumbled upon some websites that made for some interesting late night reading ;-).

• pc
    pc

I carried so much guilt for many years. I also carried a sense that life was so futile. I have had the most incredible awaking since stumbling upon this site. This is where I found freedom from the guilt and brainwashing that had been rooted deep into my soul. I am trying to get the members of my family out who are still very much invested in being a JW. I can never ever properly thank the wonderful people here who have invested their time (without getting anything in return)and the incredible information that is here. It is the combination of research, advice, friendship and love that makes this forum a place to realize just how incredible human beings can be. PC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit