What is WT procedure for ...

by Galimo 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Galimo
    Galimo

What would be the correct and approved procedure for a "prodigal" son or daughter to come back to the society?

I have this ex-girlfriend who is also babtized and lived a very wild life outside the organization, without ever getting kicked. She moved a lot from city to city so nobody really noticed or knew.

Now she said she repents and found Jehova again and is going back.

Live and let live, fine with me.. lol.. i only had written correspondence in the last decades with her.

I remarked that the proper way would be for her to go to the elders and "confess" all her sins. Her argument is that it is a thing between her and God only.

Of course i also think it is thing between her and god only, but i wonder what the proper--bureaucratic--procedure would be inside the Organization.

P.S. No flames necessary, just wish to check if I am right on my claim of needing to confess to elders, etc.

• Valis
    Valis

Yes she would have to confess, or simply lie to them and then keep whatever it is to herself/between Jehover..She could just find a congo and start going back and tell them she's just been inactive..once again lying...dude good thing she's an ex because I couldn't stand habing a dubbie girfriend...although it certainly brings up some naughty, degrading, and rather blasphemous ideas...bwahahah...ehe anyway welcome to our forum and cheers!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Valis
    Valis

Dude this is right from thier Dummies Guide To Being A JW Elder

From the manual for elders of Jehovah's Witnesses "Pay Attention To Yourselves and to All the Flock"

http://www.douknow.net/jw_m92.htm

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• shamus
    shamus

Yup, she's gonna have to go back with her tail between her legs all weepy and stuff... boo hoo...

No flames? What, you against gays or somethin'? (just kidding_)

• Gopher
    Gopher
    I remarked that the proper way would be for her to go to the elders and "confess" all her sins. Her argument is that it is a thing between her and God only.

You're right. JW's teach that the organization is, in effect, a mediator between God and their ordinary (non-anointed) members. You cannot approach God directly. (I'm surprised that they don't pray "in the name of the organization and Jesus, amen".)

However many Christians (outside of Catholics and JW's) reject the idea of confessing sins to a man or to a committee.

But your "ex" isn't really seeking Christianity, she's seeking "Jehovah" -- which seems to mean she is sentimental and misses her old friends and family in the organization.

• SadElder
  • Flash
    Flash

It depends on what kind of life she was living. Grave sins need confessing. Although...they will confront her directly before she goes out in Field Service!

• gumby
    gumby

Proper JW procedure is to report ALL OR ANY "serious sins". These include fornication, drugs, tobaco, drunkeness, fraud, etc. To "cover over a sin" and not report it leaves you "hiding sin" in their eyes.

My son-in-laws mother commited fornication and said nothing for 3 years. She was a model witness at the time she reported it. They disfellowshipped her because she covered it over and didn't report it. The JW put absolutely no value in Jesus sacrafice and the fact that your sins are betwwen you and him. They are Jesus.They are no different than the Catholics when it comes to confessing. If you told them you had repented and you felt good in your heart that god forgave you.....it wouln't be good enough.

Even if your girlfriend did not get disfellowshipped......she would be put on some type of reproof.....such as not being able to comment at the meeting's for awhile. Oh......their a forgiving bunch a bastards allright!

Gumby

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

If some time has passed since she did anything that could be classified as a serious sin, say a year, that would indicate to the Elders that she has repented and that her conscience is working properly. They will almost certainly privately reproove her and let it go at that. Given that she's a returning prodigal they will probably be supportive. She could get some rogue Elders but in these circumstances it's unlikely, especially if she makes sure she deals with Elders that don't know her, she shouldn't go back to her old congregation if she can help it because they might have an axe to grind.

• Flash
    Flash
    Even if your girlfriend did not get disfellowshipped......she would be put on some type of reproof.....such as not being able to comment at the meeting's for awhile. Oh......their a forgiving bunch a bastards allright!

They ignore James 5:14&15

"...Also, if he has commited sins, it will be forgiven him."

After all, this IS a 'prodigal son' situation...right?!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit