Escaped with my life!

by truman 16 Replies latest jw friends

• truman
    truman

I wanted to give an update to all those who kindly offered suggestions on how to deal with my JW son's ultimatum' "go tell the elders, or I will".

These last few days have been an intense crash course in life for me. Having experienced my firstborn son, whom I gave birth to, wiped his behind, dried his tears, and helped to grow to adulthood with loving support, threaten to turn me over to the "authorities" (elders) for wrong thinking and wrong speech, has been a deeply disturbing experience. Learning the truth about the "truth" was shocking, but this is just a crying tragedy.

After he found a short email from a board friend, which inadvertantly got into our regular email box instead of my private one, I was given a week to go to the elders. The note was not very, very incriminating, but problematic, containing a couple of cynical comments about the conv., and a reference to support discussions. This combined with what I had unwisely confided in him a few weeks earlier about my doubts, pumped up by recent convention exhortations about loyalty to Jehovah rather than to family, were an explosive combination.

Many here offered helpful insight and suggestions, and most importantly support which helped me feel a little less alone. I also recieved some invaluable guidance from a private correspondence with a reader of the board. I was advised how to get through it without losing everything. So I went pre-emptively to a kindly elder, told him of my depression, concern over the generation issue, and a little about the note, telling him that my son had given me the ultimatum. I tried to be as honest as I could without revealing anything really harmful. By going ahead of my son, I was able to control the information from the start. The elder was sympathetic, told me I needed to do more personal study, and tried to comfort my fears. At this point, I am cautiously optimistic that it will go no further.

Having to deal with my son in this adversarial manner is very hard, but after seeing how he has chosen to treat me, and some of the things he did, I am more firmly resolved to protect myself from future incursions of his zealousness. Not only did he read an email addressed to me in my home, he made a copy of it, and showed it to an elder friend in another cong. (This one said he would take no action, but let my son handle it.) Then he had the nerve to tell me he was put off by the blunt way I asked for it to be returned as my property. I told him, I was pretty put off by what he had done. I tried to pacify him by telling him a little of the elder conference, but he did not seem very satisfied. I think he was expecting me to get in a lot more trouble. He expressed the thought that he did not think everything got told. I said what did he want, me DF'd, He said no, he wanted me to go back the way I was before.

We tried to make peace, but things are somewhat strained. There is now a level of distrust which I know is more or less permanent, not only of him for me, but me of him as well. Anyway I have to be very careful, so I needed to go back to the "Truman" screen name I used when I briefly posted a couple of months ago. We also changed our password on the computer, so he no longer has access. What a shame to have to deal so with beloved family members! Even my husband who is still basically a believer, though long inactive, was pretty appalled by the way my son acted. A mind is a terrible thing to waste, and I see now his is a WT wasteland.

Truman (Tru-wo-man) (formerly LMR)

• thinker
    thinker

Truman,
    I'm very sorry that the org. is coming between you and your son. Your story reminds me of the "Hitler youth" who showed loyality to the reich by turning in family members who dared speak out against Hitler. I wish you all the best.

• Seeker
    Seeker

Truman,

It's sounds as if you handled things perfectly. It's not easy to walk that fine line, but you're off to a good start. Just stick to your story no matter what, and there will be little they can do other than be suspicious.

As for your son's attitude, I hope you can realize that he really does love you. As harsh as his actions were, in their own warped manner they were designed to help you in the only way he thinks is possible. The bond between parent and child is still there regardless, and I hope you can break through that suspicion enough to have a good relationship despite this difference of opinion on how life should be. Remember, he's only doing what he believes must be done, and not because he wants to treat you badly. He is as deceived as we all were. I'm as warm-hearted as they come, and yet a few years ago I could see myself doing the exact same thing as your son -- a thought that makes me shudder now, but one that is realistic, sadly enough.

• truman
    truman

I know, Seeker, I know..........
    I understand where it comes from, and my own responsibility in its construction, but it still makes me so sad for both of us, and all who have had to go through this.

Thanks

Truman (tru-wo-man)

• OrangeBlossom
    OrangeBlossom

Truman, I feel for what you are going through. A couple of questions, please.

1) Do you think your son will ever change his mind about the organization?

2) Is he a MS or elder?

3) Does he go to the same congregation as you?

4) Did you take your screen-name from the Truman show. I think most of us feel like Truman, having every detail of our lives planned out for us, no way to escape.

I think I speak for most here on this post (you know the one's that I don't speak for) when I say, "we're here for you"

OB

• truman
    truman

Orange Blossom-

He is a MS, and goes to the same cong. as me. As to whether he will ever change his mind, who can say. A few months ago, I would have said I would never change my mind on the org. The way he is now, I think he is impervious. But even though he can be hard-headed when his defenses are up, basically he is a reasonable person. I believe it will take some disillusioning experiences within the org. to work on him. If he becomes an elder, no doubt, he will see much he is unaware of now. He is only 24, so has a lot to learn about life. I can only stand and watch, as I have already burned my bridges when it comes to discussing this subject with him.

Yes, I did take the "truman" name from the movie. The title character's struggle to escape from the idealized world in which he is unknowingly imprisoned touched me deeply. Throughout the movie, elements of mind control techniques are used to keep him under the control of the master manipulators in whose clutches he is caught, and they use him to further their commercial and business interests. His behavior is monitored and subtly molded, fears are deeply planted in his mind towards methods of escape, and his access to outside information is tightly controlled. All is justified as an effort to protect him and love him.

As unmistakeable evidence of "all is not as it appears" becomes too much to ignore, he begins his struggle for freedom. He realizes his cozy life and relationships are hollow. He must pursue his goal secretely, for at every turn he is thwarted. But he doesn't give up, and eventually he overcomes his fears and prevails.

As he literally bumps up against the wall of reality, he speaks for the 1st time to the god-like figure who runs the whole enterprise, and asks 3 questions.
    Who are you?
    Who am I?
    Was nothing real?
    YOU were real.......... is the answer to the 3rd question.

That is my new way of trying to look at things. I am real, and always was.

OR....it could be just a movie.

Thanks for you kind support!

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Truman: I followed your plight on this. I had to deal with my own four children and wife on this. I have some thoughts, but would prefer to email on this. First, how old is your son? Do you have other children that will be affected? Are you still married, and if so, what is your husband's stand on the religion? I published an article on how to deal with your children. My oldest daughter is about to publish a supplemental to that article. You can email me at:
    [email protected] I will look for your response, and provide that article to you along with some additinal comments.

Amazing

• God_knows
    God_knows

Jesus is with you, hon, please do not be afraid. Jesus said that these things would actually happen, that He, or more precisely those who choose to follow the truth (I mean the RIGHT truth, not the WT lies) could actually cause grat dissent in families. But hold fast to the truth, persevere, little child of God, He will NEVER abandon you. He loves you and always will.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I hope you are right and this is turning out OK. I read the orignal post and found myself speechless. I've prayed for you, it is the best I can do at the moment.

If you want feel free to email me at [email protected]

• hippikon
    hippikon

Sounds to me like prophecy in reverse

*** Rbi8 Matthew 10:21 ***
    brother will deliver up brother to death, and a father his child, and children will rise up against parents

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit