I *witnessed* to the *Christians* last night--LOL!

by LDH 95 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

Ros,

That was spot on (a term I learned from Simon's writing.) People, in general, don't like to be preached to, and former JWs find it especially offensive, I think. They want to find their own way in their own time, and do not want anything pushed at them ever again.

The Christians I like are ones who might mention what they are doing, but don't push anything on me. I will give two examples. One friend of mine is a retired financial officer from a hospital. He serves on the budget committee at his local United Methodist Church. He will tell me about what he is doing and his churches' challenges. Not once has he preached to me. Another friend of mine is Catholic. His daughter is a good singer and sings on occassion at his Catholic Church. He has asked me to come hear her sing. He has never preached to me either.

I have my own beliefs and values. I do not try to convert anyone to my way of thinking. If someone asks, I will tell them, but I never express them otherwise. Ros, that is one thing I like about BRCI. It is a support group that has core values, but it does not push dotrine.

• ianao
    ianao

Mulan:

Well I hope you guys are happy. You drove away a perfectly nice gal.

No, she drove herself away. She came in here wanting to convert everybody and show them the true faith. If she was only interested in love then she would have told us that and then not started referring to truth, etc. etc.

It seems so unnecessary to attack the way some of you do. I am just venting, but I hope you feel some shame.

Yeah, it's hard for some of us to ignore having her beliefs crammed down our throat as ultimate divine revelation from God.

I wrote her hoping she will change her mind.

I hope she doesn't. I hope she stays in her protected little world where she can be of some use at her church to folks who really need some help. If she comes back here and stays long enough with the preachy preachy attitude, then she's going to be in for a real wake up call!

• ianao
    ianao

God_Knows:

ALL of you....

Uh oh...

I am so deeply saddened by the abusivness that I am seeing on this board. And IANAO'S continuing to twist my words around, saying mean things I would never say to any of you.

Forgive me for not feeling much remorse at all for "twisting your words around". I realize that much of what you do is what you are taught and that your intentions are genuine and loving. Would you rather I fibbed and humored you for awhile and then try to change the subject, or would you rather have a genuine conversation?

I love you all so very much and that will never change.

I appreciate that. Sounds great! At least you won't be going around being a poor excuse for a human being.

My heart is in anguish at the level of malice and lack of love that I see from so many (I will not say "ALL" because that would be a lie; but it does apply to many here)

The only malice you see are people who don't like being preached to, that's all. Try getting wrapped up in a cult (even superficially) one day, and you may understand.

• Tina
    Tina

godknows,
    You miss many points here. I was laughing at Lisa's reaction to your inane fundamentalism,as I too think it's funny.
    I'm not a jw nor a christian period,so I don't know what you not believing in jw doctrine is supposed to mean.
    I have no use for crusaders and proselytizers and their messages. Simple.......Have a nice day.Tina

psssssst BETHelMOle's the name

• LDH
    LDH

GK REX LisaOB and any other 'dyed in the wool' Christian.

You all seem to miss the point of the entire post, which is, not that I was trying to prove anyone wrong or right but simply showing that frequently the 'truth we know' is based on nothing more than culture or how we have been acclamated towards religion.

It is safe to say, if you were born on the Mongolian Steppes, you would know nothing of Jesus, but you would still have a code of conduct given to all mankind as a gift from our heavenly Father. (Ifyou choose to believe in God at all, that is.)

In EVERY culture it is wrong to kill, steal, covet, etc etc etc. These laws are universal and do not hinge on any religious upbringing. Therefore all humans can recognize God to their own understanding, even if they don't know a darn thing about Jesus, Mohammed, Vishnu etc etc etc.

I have NO BEEF with 'Christians' or any other religious group. But by the same token I'm not going to sit around and listen to a bunch of dumb asses talk about how 'blessed they are' and how 'unfortunate' everyone else is.

Doesn't that remind you of a story in the Bible, of the man who prayed in the temple thanking God for 'not being like the sinners?' It smacked of hypocrisy, and due to my own upbringing I could spot it a mile away.

Lisa

• LDH
    LDH

bttt

The Dredger's Mistress LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit