Troubled teen? or pretender?

by wasasister 12 Replies latest jw friends

• wasasister
    wasasister

Last night in chat, just as I was about to log off and go to bed, a person unknown to me came in. I did not recognize the name, so I introduced myself. With me in chat was another new person, who identified him/her-self as a 19 yr old DA'd person on the East Coast (US).

After the initial introductions, the new person stated he/she was a therapist working with a troubled 15 yr old Witness girl who wanted to quit the religion over the objections of her mother. (I believe the father is an unbeliever, but is supportive of the mother's efforts to force the girl to attend meetings.) The girl is extremely emotional and has run away more than once.

At first, my radar went off, mostly because I've been deceived before due to having an open nature and eagerness to help troubled people. Upon questioning, the person seemed to be genuine and had a sincere interest in understanding issues facing minor JW's who choose to leave.

I answered some questions regarding JW teachings and culture. (EG: What is Bethel and why do JW parents want their children to go there?) I told him I had a number of years experience as an active JW and had raised two children, but was not specially qualified to give advice of this nature. I then offered to put the individual in touch with those who may be more qualified and offered my e-mail address.

I ended the conversation by saying: "BTW, if you are a fraud and are wasting me time, I'll come to (state) and kick your ass", to which he/she responded, "are all you guys so paranoid?" I said, if we're smart, we are.

So, do you think this was a real therapist seeking help for a patient? If I do get an e-mail, would any of you be interested in assiting?

Wasa

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

I can see that the mother of the 15 year old girl want to protect her daughter. And that is staying in the truth.

• Seeker
    Seeker

I'll be happy to assist, was. Feel free to forward any email you wish to forward. I'll give you my opinion.

• Tina
    Tina

Hiyas sis,
    Send it to me as well. Im curious. hugs,Tina

• COMF
    COMF

How does a 15 year old Jehovah's Witness girl get funding to visit a therapist?

COMF

• larc
    larc

Wasa,

Sounds fishy to me. Most therapists would not hang out here, and the ethical ones would not refer to what they are doing here as therapy. Advice on the net is just that, advice. It is not therapy. e mail me also, it you want to.

• wasasister
    wasasister

According to the "chat person" the girl's medical doctor referred her after a suicide attempt. Still convinced? I'm not.

• hippikon
    hippikon

Ok You got me I'm interested. I despise predators.

• outnfree
    outnfree

Wasa,

I thought to myself that the answer to COMF's question was: "A 15 yr. old who's just tried to kill herself!" (Even JW parents realize that this means SERIOUS help is needed.)

Whether or not the therapist was for real, I don't know, but I'm doubtful, too.

outnfree

• larc
    larc

Wasa,

Excuse me, I misread your post.

I would suggest that if the person who says they are a therapist comes back to the chat room or e mails you, that you advise them to start a thread on the main forum where they can discuss the case and ask us particulars. I think that would show us if they are for real or not. If they wanted detailed information, I don't understand why they selected the chat format.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit