Covering up bathroom mirrors at the assemblies!!!

by nojudgement 40 Replies latest jw friends

• 4JWY
    4JWY

Also we had the "out of order" signs put on candy and soda vending machines to try to scare you off from purchasing a snack!

• 4JWY
    4JWY

and before the Smurfs, there were the Trolls!

• Hapgood
    Hapgood

I've never been to an Assembly where they covered up the mirrors. But I was friends with a very spunky sister that told me about mirrors being covered at an Assembly that she attended. She said "They treat us like a bunch of cattle." LOL too funny, at the time I must admit I was a little shocked at her attitude.

Hapgood

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

As I recall, this was beginning to happen in the early '80's. Apparently, women seemed to take more time in the bathrooms, and the lines were noticeably longer than the "mens". So, they covered up the mirrors, so that women wouldn't be tempted to check their makeup or fix their hair. It sickens me at the "control" they tried to keep on our activities--even in the restroom.

Of course, they didn't want folks looking at their reflection of "unhappiness" in the mirror. It might make them "think".

/<

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I remember asking my mom why it too women soooo long in the bathroom causing the long lines... she said it was because women's clothing are far more complicated than men and took longer to undo and redo.

So I asked her... well... why not wear something more simple? She never had an answer to that.

It just did not make since to me for everyone to get all dressed up for a ballpark. It's a frigg'in ballpark! Jeans would have been perfectly fine as far as I was conserned.

Sometimes I wonder if the WTS makes JWs get all dressed up so everyone does not see just how mean and cruel they are... you know... the onld "cup clean on the outside and filthy on the inside" deal.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Yes I remember them doing it in Ontario at District assemblies. And some of the places the Society rented were not adaquate for the number of persons attending. Yes the line ups to the washrooms were huge.

But do you ever remember seeing a member of the Governing Body in those line ups or brothers who had major parts on the programs. No they never ever were. In fact they had always a special place for those brothers, I know because one day I followed a member of the governing body and they took him to a large room equipped with showers and washrooms. Like the area for sports lockers. So I saw this baracade peventing anyone going past that area, however I seen a brother coming out of the washroom and their was a womens washroom right beside it and it was empty, no lines ups no nothing. Even the elderly and infirm didn't know of this area.

And funny thing the brother never said a single word to me about going into that washroom. Had he he would have gotten a mouthful from me.

Oh they did try and accomadate sets ups for the older and infirm but still there were line ups even for them. I am speaking of Copps Coliseum in Hamilton Ontario as this is the place we always had our District conventions. So when I found this little nugget, I knew exactly where to go to and like I said the bathrooms were empty. Now I can't for the life of my figure out why they didn't tell others about it. Gee let me guess, they didn't want anyone near any member of the GB or Bethel so they kept it a secret. I find it so disgusting that they think they should have special privileges when 1000s of witnesses had to wait in line ups. Shame on them. I wondered if there stinks were more superior then our stinks

But you know what I mean. I hated to see such two standards and yes I was against placing paper across the mirrors. Yes it is a let us show you we can control you situation.

I know that their were bathrooms that were crowded, but the brothers in charge of toilets did have special areas for moms and kids and fathers and kids. Oh by the way that washroom that became my quick friend never had any paper on the mirrors.

So this is my story and I am sticking to it.

Love OrangefatcatOrangeFatCat 15Hearts

• blondie
    blondie

I have seen it happen in the old days when many of the assemblies were at stadiums that had not heard of potty parity. It was assumed that mostly men attended the sports events, so there were not sufficient women's restrooms when the WTS rented the stadiums. Another problem was that it was expected that women were to take the children to the restroom (including boys as old as 10). The men had to listen and take notes, you know, or had assignments after or during the assembly. I know some families who never say their father during an assembly.

I just pulled down one edge and combed my hair and touched up my lipstick and put it back up.

What I remember most is a sister handing out toilet paper (3 sheets) to each person that came in!!!!

Blondie

• willyloman
    willyloman

Another must read for lurkers. If you can't see the control at work here, you are simply not paying attention.

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Hapgood wrote:

"They treat us like a bunch of cattle."

I relate to this expression, as I've used it ... regarding my baptism

Sentinel wrote:

they didn't want folks looking at their reflection of "unhappiness" in the mirror. It might make them "think".

So true ... I didn't know how truly un-happy and depressed I was ... until I compared my happy feelings now. Some people like to be controlled, I guess...

Elsewhere wrote:

the old "cup clean on the outside and filthy on the inside" deal.

It's all about appearances...? Then why cover the mirrors...? Which scripture was that taken from anyway?

orangefatcat wrote:

But do you ever remember seeing a member of the Governing Body in those line ups or brothers who had major parts on the programs. No they never ever were. In fact they had always a special place for those brothers,

Hmmm ... good point. I must say I've never seen any "prominent ones" in our lowly lineups

Blondie wrote:

What I remember most is a sister handing out toilet paper (3 sheets) to each

Sheesh!!! ...Surreal ...

Can you feeeeel the luuuurve ...

ESTEE

• sandy
    sandy

Those brown bags over the mirrors is the very reason many single "sisters" never find a mate.

LOL, Do they still do that? I can remember them doing it at least one time at the old Norco CA assembly hall or, it could have been the new one in Mira Loma, CA.

I wish I was one who had the nerve to slash the paper off the mirrors. I'd go in there like a wild woman and start tearing off the paper.

What control, I never payed attention to it before. What an ass I was! lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit