Covering up bathroom mirrors at the assemblies!!!

by nojudgement 40 Replies latest jw friends

• nojudgement
    nojudgement

This was one of the craziest things I remember about the summer conventions. I would go into the sister's bathrooms and the mirrors would all be taped up with brown paper so that we couldn't look at our reflections. Were were Amish or something? I never understood that. Were the sisters spending too much time primping? It seemed so controlling now that I reflect on it. As if we couldn't be trusted and would dilly-dally in front of the mirror if they didn't cover them up for us. The stench in those bathrooms from the baby diapers was enough to make anyone not want to linger longer than taking care of their business. I used to love when the sister would rebel and would start tearing off the edges. Did anyone else have that experience with the mirrors? Does any ex-elder no the thinking behind that??? Just wondering....

• Dawn
    Dawn
    Does any ex-elder no the thinking behind that???

Same idiots who think a woman is not as smart as a man, shouldnt' work outside the home, and should be under the control of her husband

• kat2u
    kat2u

Ohhh Myyy God!

I never saw that happen>But how totally Stupid!!!

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Yes, I remember the washroom mirrors covered up with brown paper. When I think about it now, we were treated like two year olds. I don't remember any sister bold enough to tear the paper off. Some sisters got smart and they would bring mirrors in their bags.

wannaexit

• nilfun
    nilfun

Oh yes, I remember that.

Yeah, like, we sisters were so mesmerized by our reflections -- just staring and staring at our pretty lil' faces -- that we caused MAJOR traffic jams during our "meetin' in the ladies' room". So something just had to be done to cut down on those loooong lines in front of the ladies' bathrooms.

And yes, we did tear down those badboys when we felt the need to, LoL.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

I found it an attempt to keep us under their incompetent thumbs, but I never was one to hang out in a rest room for any reason and I never saw any sister try to untape the stupid paper.

Conventions had so many control issues, didn't they? Why wouldn't the jerks allow street vendors to provide some food for us in Bakersfield? There were a lot of us, there was a lot of overcrowding, and in Bakersfield it was suffocatingly hot. And since they said we couldn't have "tailgate parties" during lunch and weren't supposed to go to restaurants and couldn't use vending machines or bring adequate coolers or glass (well that one made sense, since glass breaks) - what were we supposed to eat - spoiled sandwiches and warm water and salty chips and crackers??? CONTROL. NOTHING BUT CONTROL.

• TonyT
    TonyT

Lets see now ...smurfs are bad...... garage sales can give you demons..... don't say bless you when someone sneezes and now................mirrors must be covered with brown paper at assemblies???!!!

Does one of the elders have to give some kind of kosher style blessing to the mirrors?

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

I used to volunteer in the ladies rooms. Some convention centers were so overcrowded in the ladies rooms the sisters coming out of the stalls had no where to wash their hands because the sinks were all taken up with other sisters who were busy combing their hair or putting on make-up. When a crowded bathroom filled with sisters of all ages and children of all ages became impossibly overcrowded it was necessary at times to cover the mirrors in order to allow those sisters with small children and the older sisters to simply wash their hands.

An experienced bathroom monitor,

Sabrina

• Sassy
    Sassy

my guess is it was about keeping the cleaning down.. you know how they are about simplyfying everything so you aren't kept from hearing the important information from the platform!

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

I've seen this happen in Saskatoon, Canada ... didn't know it happened everywhere ... errrr...more New lightTM???

ESTEE

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit