"Dogma" by Kevin Smith

by dustyb 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I love Kevin Smith movies, and Dogma was one of the best. If I had to rank them, I guess I'd go:

1) Dogma, Chasing Amy

2) Clerks, Jay & Silent Bob,

3) Mallrats

And has anyone seen Jersey Girl, or is it out yet? And what's up with that? I thought Kevin Smith wasn't making anymore New Jersey trilogy films -- but here is a Jersey film even starring Affleck. I guess it doesn't have Jay and Silent Bob in it.

And did you know he is directing a Fletch prequel that, like the Dumb and Dumber prequel, doesn't star Chevy Chase? Why Fletch.....is there any hankering out there for another Fletch movie?

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D
    Why Fletch.....is there any hankering out there for another Fletch movie?

Umm, ......yes

Fletch: Awww, come on guys, it's so simple maybe you need a refresher course.
    [leans arm on hot engine part]
    Fletch: Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads, and I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.

Fletch: Whoa, there's Bob. Now won't he be surprised!

Kid: Are you a cop?
    Fletch: As far as you know. Why? Did you steal this car?
    Kid: I sure did.
    Fletch: Well, I'm not even sure that's a crime anymore. There've been a lot of changes in the law.

Fletch: I didn't want to do this, but I'm afraid I'm gonna have to pull rank on you. I'm with the Mattress Police. There are no tags on these mattresses.

Fletch: Using the whole fist, Doc?

Alan Stanwyck: You do own rubber gloves?
    Fletch: I rent 'em. I have a lease with an option to buy.

Chief Karlin: What's your name?
    Fletch: Fletch.
    Chief Karlin: What's your full name?
    Fletch: Fletch F. Fletch.
    Chief Karlin: What do you do for a living, Mr. Fletch?
    Fletch: I'm a shepherd.
    Chief Karlin: Why are you doing this, Mr. Fletch?
    Fletch: I like men. I like to be manhandled. I like you.

Fletch: Aren't you gonna read me my rights?
    Cop: You have the right to remain silent. You have the right to have your face kicked in by me. You have the right to have your balls stomped on by him.
    Fletch: I think I'll waive my rights.

Fletch: Hey, don't talk to me that way, assface. I don't work for you yet.

• yxl1
    yxl1

Ahh Dogma. One of my favourite films. Always makes me laugh no matter how many times I watch it. And having <removed> as God at the end is pure genius.

**Edited to remove the actors name** yxl1

• slipnslidemaster
  • talesin
    talesin
    Dogma is my movie if I'm in a philosophical mood, Chasing Amy if I'm feeling a bit dirty, Clerks just after work and Mallrats for how I spend my free time.

lol @ Tuesday

Winston,

If you liked, Fletch, you'll love Kevin Smith's movies.

dusty, or anyone interested, here's his website, being a fan I just happened to know it (ahem) You can actually buy dogma t-shirts, signed scripts & stuff for less than 20 bucks!

Jersey Girl is being released next week. Can't wait.

www.viewaskew.com

tal

• dustyb
    dustyb

oh ya, watch "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" too if you don't mind too many f bombs being dropped. its a hilarious movie. i think its better than a lot of the jersey films.

• Heatmiser
    Heatmiser

I love all of Kevin Smiths movies. BUDDY JESUS is sooooo funny.

Heatmiser

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

Well Dusty, I went out and rented Dogma last weekend.

Gotta say, I enjoyed it!

One of my fav scenes is when Matt's character Loki is talking to the nun in the airport:

...but to me it says that following these faiths based on mythological figures ensure the destruction of one's inner-being. Organized religion destroys who we are by inhibiting our actions... by inhibiting our decisions, out of... out of fear of some... some intangible parent figure who... who shakes a finger at us from thousands of years ago and says... and says, "Do it--Do it and I'll f@^kin' spank you."

Or the gun shop when Loki & Bartleby are talking about mass murder at the gun shop and then tell the gun shop owner that "They'll take it!"

Gun Salesman: We call this piece the Fecalator. One look at it and the target shits him or herself. Try it on.
    Loki: Well, it's a lot more compact than the flaming sword, but it's not nearly as impressive. Just doesn't have that wrath-of-the-Almighty edge to it. I mean, come on, how am I supposed to strike fear into the hearts of the wicked with this thing? Look at this...
    Bartleby: Well, then, you know, don't use a gun. Just lay the place to waste, like.
    Loki: Easy for you to say. You get off light in razing. You got to stand there and read at Sodom and Gamorreh, I had to do all the work.
    Bartleby: What work did you do? You lit a few fires.
    Loki: I rained down sulphur, man, there's a subtle difference.
    Bartleby: Oh, yeah, I'm sure.
    Loki: Hey you know F%^k you man. Any moron with a pack of matches can set a fire. Raining down sulphur is like an endurance trial man. Mass Genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer.

I'll have to check out the other movies by Kevin Smith now

• topanga
    topanga

i loved that movie especially buddy christ

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

As I remember God was a Woman. That part of the movie made me happy. And the appearance of George Carlin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit