I'm seeing the need for some 420 !!!

by Elsewhere 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

And no... it has nothing to do with pot.

My Check Engine light came on last night and the computer code was P0420... the catalytic converter, bank 1. This is going to be friggin expensive to fix... my car hs TWO of them.

Does anyone in the DFW area know anyone who does this kind of work on the side? Going to Midas or any other place like that will set me back an awful lot.

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

Mine comes on everyday. I just ignore it and go about my day. lol It probably wont last that long anyways. I am such a dork when it comes to cars, but my mom knows about them and can fix them.

• fader
    fader

Okay, I don't know what a 420 is. I can, however, tell you to ignore the Service Engine Soon light. Mine has been on for 2 years, it just signals a problem with your emissions system, not necessarily your catalytic converter. In my case, the light is on (although it switches off every once in a while) because I brought my car from the US to a country where we use leaded gas so I had the catalytic converter removed before I left. My husband, on the other hand, brought his brand new Dodge Dakota P/U and left the catalytic converter in, uses leaded gas as well (that's all they have here) and his car runs beautifully.

Whenever your next vehicle inspection is scheduled they'll probably say something about it, but you can drive comfortably until that time comes and that will give you the chance to sure up some money. Conversely, you figure out which of the little switches in your car's electric system is responsible for the Service Engine Soon light and take it out. The light won't come back on, and unless they actually check your emissions they won't have a clue during the inspection because nothign will show up on your instrument panel.

• Love_Truth
    Love_Truth

If you don't get your catalytic converter replaced, it will melt eventually, constricting your exhaust, robbing the vehicle of power immensely, and posssibly ruin other parts of your engine, causing catastrophic engine failure.

Sorry, can't help you with where to take it. And yes, it is expensive- probably $1,000.00 plus.

Or, you could spend that money on herb and enjoy 4:20!

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Mine came on, did some checking on the internet and found out this wasn't a big deal. In fact, I learned to go pull a certain fuse out for a few minutes, and the computer re-thought itself and the light went out. It happened again six months later.... this time I just disconnected the battery cables for a few minutes... the light never came back on. I had a mechanic friend tell me that it's the converter and it's no big deal. Only bad down the road several years later when you try to get your car smogged (which we have to do in California). Hopefully it will be sold by then.

• fader
    fader

LT:

Not necessarily true. My husband runs his vehicle on leaded gas (we're in Africa, we don't hate the environment) and has a catalytic converter in his car. Hasn't melted, nothign wrong with it. I took the catalytic converter out of my 1997 Chevy Blazer LT and it runs like a dream. If anything both our cars run better.

fader

• Love_Truth
    Love_Truth

fader,

I can only speak from my experience. I was on my way to the shore years ago when the CC melted, after many warnings on the "light on the dasH.

It cost a lot to get it replaced.

Removing it is fine for performance, however, it's quite illegal, and I'm not sure what the penatie$$ are for removing here in states.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

My "Check Engine" light has been on for three years. It is my OS2 censors, whatever the hell those are. I found out that my two cousins, who have the exact same brand of truck as I do have had their lights on for five years or more, and it's no big deal. Catalytic converters, in Texas, are not necessary because we have no emissions testing laws, so you may as well unplug the damned thing.

CG

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

I usually ignore it too.

Devon

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

lol... sorry but ignoring the light and computer code will not do. My inspection is up next month and they will not pass my emissions test if there are ANY computer errors codes or any warning lights on. They are tough here in the DFW area.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit