Prince coming up on The Today Show, wonder if he will mention JW'ers....?

by NoBorg 21 Replies latest jw friends

• NoBorg
    NoBorg

Isn't he trapped in the Borg? What do you know about his membership?

• Mary
    Mary

I'm not sure which would be more embarassing for the Borg: having everyone know that Michael Jackson USED to be a Witness, or that Prince is NOW a Witness.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I saw parts of the interview on the web, and there is no mention of the WTS.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I watched it and they mentioned he doesn't want to talk about his personal life.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I never knew what to think of Prince. I liked his music, but didn't like watching his videos, I felt they distracted from the music. I was surprised to hear him say the same thing. He's a great musician I'm curious about his new CD, wonder if it's tamer.

Anyway no mention of the JW's thankfully, I would hate them to get any publicity unless it's exposing them for being the cult that they are.

Kate

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I've been following Prince from the very beginning. He is a musical genius, as far as I am concerned. I purchased his first album "Prince: For You" back in the day, and have followed him continuously, going to concerts, listening to his music, etc.

I saw him on Ellen Degeneres' show last night, and my opinion is that he relates to his audience through his music and nothing else. When interviewed by Ellen, he was very distracted and had absolutely no sense of humour. I could see Ellen getting very frustrated because she could just not connect with him, like she does other guests. She is a very congenial type person, and everyone just loves her... but Prince was so distracted, and uncomfortable and shy that it was very hard to "feel" him, like Ellen is wont to do.

When he plays his music, he becomes very animated and alive; like all his emotions are drained by the music, and he has nothing left to give anything, or anybody, and anything he wants to say to someone, he says through his music. I believe that it his channel.

My own personal feeling is that Prince is much too intelligent to continue on with the Dubbers, but he is stuck with it for now because of Manuela (his wife). He is trying to sit the fence right now, not totally committing and not totally NOT committing. He has to take his band on tour again, to raise sales. He is limited by what he can/cant produce at this time because of his wife, but I think he secretly wants to break free and go back to his unchained melodies.... He has not done anything worthy of DF'ing at this point... but some of his music in the future could override that DFing fear.

This is a man with a need for speed. I think he is BEGGING to be DF'd, if he ever was baptized. Last night he sang songs that are very suggestive...and I think he'll be singing these songs, all the way, on tour. We'll see... but I don't think Ms. Manuela will like it, if she is the good little Dubbie that he married. Unless she becomes one of us . Prince is definitely having a change of mind since his "Rainbow Children" didn't go over quite so well.

CG

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

He always had a very spiritual side, too (which was hard for many to see because of his erotic side!). I always figured the JWs used the death of his baby to snag him. Now, even if he has doubts, he's probably hanging on to 'the hope' (tm) of seeing his baby in paradise. Poor thing, I feel sorry for him.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

You know, when Cat Stevens converted to Islam, he walked away from it all. He changed his name, he quit the business, he walked the walk as well as talked the talk. Now THAT is a conversion!

On the other hand, Michael or Prince "convert", and here we are, wondering if they really did or didn't. Lessee, if I got up in front of group of Witnesses at a get-together and sang "Little Red Corvette", not only would I be boo-ed off the stage for being lousy, I would be "admonished" by "helpful" elders telling me about the inappropriateness of such a song at a Christian gathering.

Do you think any elder (or his good buddy Larry) is getting on his back?

Oh, yeah, on Ellen, he did say that his show is more "family oriented" now. I guess no Janet Jackson nipple jewelry on his backup singers...

I get a kick out of celebrity "conversions". Just another pitiful straw to clutch at, to say "Well, hey, if a guy as cool as Prince (or Glen Campbell, Johnny Carson, Cliff Richards) defends the Witnesses, it MUST be the Truth(tm)."

Not a big fan of Prince, like a couple of his songs. Don't think he's ready to abandon a life of hedonism just yet....

• talesin
    talesin

Country Girl,

I have the same take on Prince as you. Did you see the show Oprah did with him shortly after his baby died? I got the impression at the time, the way he spoke about how he and his wife met, that she was a JW (chaperoned by her mom at the concert, yada, yada, yada), and that he was 'struck' by her. Sounds typical of a lot of 'worldly' guys who meet the sweet, virginal JW girl and 'fall' in love (speaking from my own experience).

And you're right - he is sooooo shy, soft spoken. He only lets loose when performing. I do not wish his marriage to break up, but it is a shame to see such a hedonistic, free spirit join up with that bunch of loonies!

Prince has always been troubled (as you know, I'm sure, Purple Rain was semi-autobiographical). It's so typical of JW to snap up those who have inner conflict and are emotionally and spiritually lost.

We can only hope that he will break free of their bondage, and soon!

talesin

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Country Girl-I hate to be a total Prince geek about this, but.....

His 1st album was actually "Minneapolis Genius" which was recorded with some other musicians, when Prince was 16 or 17, I think. Only a very few copies exist, as it was a vanity pressing, and not distributed nationally. Very good work, though.

Now, how pathetic is it that I have a head full of this kinda trivia?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit