Inactive and Immune

by new light 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• new light
    new light

Did you know that page 99 of "Pay Attention...." (the elders' manual) states that a person who has not associated for a while is basically exempt from discipline? Essentially if you attend a judicial hearing or respond to the elders you are admitting accountability to the "Christian congregation." Therefore, if you walk away from the congregation and simply ignore the elders for long enough and exert no influence on the members, they don't have to pursue you, even if they hear of serious sin. Of course, this all depends on the local BOE, but it's still good to know.

• Atilla
    Atilla

Yeah right, like they would follow their own rules.

Although, this policy has actually worked very well for me so far.

• new light
    new light

That's what I'm hoping for. I abruptly walked away a few months ago. Haven't had a message from an elder in a while now (never answered their calls [thank you caller ID]). Hopefully this means I'm on my way to being a faded memory.

• wednesday
    wednesday

They used to follow that policy , but i think with the "silent lambs" and other issues, they are coming after people to either get them reactivated or out. They have left me generally alone, for which i am very grateful, b/c that would have been another burden i didn't need. Really, it totally denpends on the BOE and how bad u PO'd them. Also, it depends if you are still friends with people and have some influence. (are u popular or not?)

• blondie
    blondie

If you are inactive and the BOE learns that you have committed a DF'ing offense, some will ignore but many will pursue it, trying to contact you. They need only try 3 times, using proof from attempts with a certified letter, to DF you without meeting with you if they have sufficient evidence. As wednesday points out, BOEs are more aggressive now.

One way to circumvent it is to move to another congregation's territory and not tell the old congregation where you are.

Blondie

• simplesally
    simplesally

If contacted, one could lie and say they have a relative who is an elder and that he said, "According to the elders handbook, since you are inactive and not associating with other JW's, you should be left alone. That by attending a JC you would be admitting accountability."

Just say that he said to tell them that next time you were contacted, slam the door.......this way they cannot ask, "Do you consider yourself to be a JW. Do you believe the GB is the sole channel of God?"

• new light
    new light

You so sneaky!

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

Are you talking about a religion or a police force?

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Part of this is probably to give them an out with famous people that they don't want to DF publicly...

• Scully
    Scully
    Did you know that page 99 of "Pay Attention...." (the elders' manual) states that a person who has not associated for a while is basically exempt from discipline? Essentially if you attend a judicial hearing or respond to the elders you are admitting accountability to the "Christian congregation." Therefore, if you walk away from the congregation and simply ignore the elders for long enough and exert no influence on the members, they don't have to pursue you, even if they hear of serious sin.

This may be true in theory. But in practice, the elders can show up at your door and simply ask you

Do you consider yourself to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses?

If you say Yes, then you "admit accountability to the Christian Congregation?". If you say No, they make an announcement that you disassociated yourself and are no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Bottom Line: If they are out to get rid of you, they will find a way to do it.

Love, Scully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit