Indiana

by Ghosthunter 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Ghosthunter
    Ghosthunter

I know there are some of you out there from Indiana (US). Did you know that Indiana is the home of the People's Temple? The Jim Jones cult. In fact, he started out in a little town called Lynn, Indiana which is only a few miles from my mother's home town. When I was a teenager, I remember my mother pointing out a building in downtown Indianapolis that was the first "church" of Jim Jones and his followers. That event in the 70's still weighs heavily on my mind and was the turning point in which I started thinking that I was perhaps involved in cult.

There are a lot of "notorious" people from Indiana that I can think of off the top of my head: Dillenger, Michael Jackson, Axl Rose, Bobby Knight......

My home state BTW.

GH

• patio34
    patio34

Hi GH,

I'm from Indianapolis and thanks for that bit of info. I'd hate to think how many notorious folks are from California, haha!

Waiting on this board (my sister), of course, is also from Indianapolis and lived in a couple more towns than that.

Tata!

Pat

• mouthy
    mouthy

At Pennsylvania "Witnesses Now For Jesus" Is a sister. who was IN the Jones cult- She declined to go with Jim when he pulled them all out to the little Island...She went into Jehovahs Witnesses ..Out of the fat into the fire!!!! She is NOW a Christian...She still lives in Indiana where there are LOADS of EX JWS

• simplesally
    simplesally

Peoples Temple began in the 1950's in Indianapolis, IN under the leadership of Jim Jones . Jones and his followers engaged in numerous activities to help the poor. In addition, they made racial integration central to their work mission. In 1959, Jones affiliated his congregation with the Christian Church(Disciple of Christ) naming it the Peoples Temple Christian Church Full Gospel.

After reading an article entitled "Nine Places to in the World to Hide," Jones relocated his family and some 70 followers to northern California thinking that in the case of a nuclear war, they would be safe. There, the church became known as the Peoples Temple of the Disciples of Christ.

I remember when Jim Jones had his People's Temple in San Francisco. Then he moved all those poor people to Guyana. One of dad's good friends was killed..... Leo Ryan when he went down to check things out in Guyana. 914 killed, not all voluntarily and children killed by injection.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug
    Bobby Knight

Whoa back honey, Please don't put Bobby Knight in the same catagory as those other characters, although anger management ideas are something that just makes the gentleman even angerier. He is also a total control freak. Having said that, he has not committed mass murder, yet and he did turn around the basketball program at Texas Tech which, prior to his coming, was about as bad as it gets. Bug

• Ghosthunter
    Ghosthunter

Patio34: Were you a JW when you lived in Indy? If so, what side of town and what congregation? Congratulations on escaping to California!

Shutterbug: No offense on the Bobby Knight reference. Just a "tongue in cheek" thing. I happen to respect the man and have a soft place in my heart for him (being a Hoosier).

GH

• Sabine
    Sabine

(from Makena - posting unders wife's logon)

I grew up in Northern Indiana. Shoveled off the driveway to shoot baskets in wintertime, tobaggoning, ice hockey, fishing, picnics by Lake Michigan. Lots of fond memories.

I believe that David Letterman, and Larry Bird also are hoosiers?

• Sassy
    Sassy

I lived in Indy for a while.... up by South Bend.. in a little Amish town...

a very obedient humble JW at the time however...

• patio34
    patio34

Hi GH,

Pleased to meet you, by the way! I was a dubbit when in Indpls, and went to Glendale cong. on the northeast side of town. Waiting (on this board and my sister) went to the Irvington cong on the east side of town, I believe. I also went to Lebanon, Indiana's cong when I lived for a while in Zionsville.

Where were you?

Pat

• Ghosthunter
    Ghosthunter

Pat,

Grew up on the east side of town, out towards Washington Square Mall. Went to Warren Central High School. Attended Irvington before it split off to become "Arlington Heights". Got DF'd from the Eastgate congregation. Haven't lived in Indy for almost 15 years now, but miss it every day.

GH (aka Carol)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit