COMPASSION?

by SolidSender 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Zep
    Zep

Waiting (((i gunna censor this part about JH, save getting in any more trouble with my big mouth.We australias are a race of convicts, we just cant help ourselves sometimes))).Yeah, friend raised some fair points from my reading of it.

I couldn't find the 5 officers...i got lost in all those threads..

Edited by - Zep on 1 August 2000 23:53:25

• Friend
    Friend

Big Question

There are all types of arguments but the structure of each is either sound or unsound. Primarily you've seen me make distinctions between unsound and sound arguments. Sound argumentation has only one name, Sound Reasoning. However, unsound reasoning has many names depending upon the nature of the unsoundness.

As for arguments, a few are: business argument, theological argument, biblical argument, scientific argument, et cetera. In each case the structure of the reasoning (argumentation) can be either sound or unsound. If you are able to spot an unsound argument (unsound reasoning) then you are better off than the alternative.

As for Alex, he is surely just as entitled to his view as you and I. If he feels I am "apostate" then that is how he feels. Should that affect me somehow?

Regarding those "sayings"-as you call them-it would be pure folly to repeat them by rote without understanding the subject(s) and drawing your own conclusions based upon sound reasoning. As for me saying those things, if you accept my conclusions-or anyone else's-as accurate without reasoning through them yourself, then you are little more than a puppet on a string.

As for truth, that is what I seek and champion. If you feel I do otherwise then please point that out at once. As for life giving truths, those are also good and likewise I seek and champion them. To a large extent truth is found by sound reasoning whereas error is often preceded by unsound reasoning. Do you feel otherwise?

Zep

You mentioned JH. His real name is Jan Haugland. He lives in Scandinavia. Though he and I share a mutual dislike for one another, he does posses decent logical skills. The subject he and I have most recently butted heads on is a version of the Divine Command Theory. I say, "version" because there are various versions of the theory, which are not all as robust. The version he and I have been discussing most recently is called "God Defines Good" and it is the strongest version. Jan is correct that several versions of the Divine Command Theory have been debunked, that is they have been thoroughly reasoned to be wrong, they have been refuted. He is frustrated because the works of his favored logician, Plato, did not refute the one version, "God Defines Good" as he had asserted. Only after lengthy exchanges did he finally admit that.

Friend

• Zep
    Zep

When it comes to morality and ethics, i just read Neitzsche.Dont go much Theologians, or metaphysics and stuff.

JH absolutely refuses to reconcile the concept of a loving God with all the evil and suffering around.Me, i'm not so sure, the issue doesn't bother me much, it's a bit of a red herring in the end to me.
    DUb logic on the issue however, is less than adequate... thats if your looking for answers to the problem of evil and suffering.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Zep,

I will type in the short story about Five Officers when I get to work today. It was thought provoking, in a very depressing way. What was interesting also is that I've shown it to several jw - and they didn't pick up on it as talking about the issue from a standpoint of God, even after I explained - before reading the article - that that was what it was about.

I really don't think we are use to thinking "outside the WTBTS box." Well, except for Friend.

I absolutely don't agree with it or disagree with JH or Friend - good points taken on both sides. And I guess I just like sitting on my fence.

waiting, who is learning to think again

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

waiting, are you serious? The JW's didn't get the point of that story? That is truly amazing. But, then again, when people allow everything in their lives to be determined by a group of men, they never need to think about anything. It's scary, though....and rather sad.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Red,

No, they really thought it was about 5 police officers. I squinted my eyes at them and said "are you serious?"

They were, they couldn't understand any other application.

waiting

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Waiting, I think the ultimate irony would be if those JW's then started quoting that story to show how corrupt and evil things are in this System of Things.....boggles the mind, doesn't it?

• BigQuestion
    BigQuestion

Edited by - BigQuestion on 7 August 2000 4:37:9

• SolidSender
    SolidSender

Edited by - SolidSender on 10 August 2000 3:55:36

• BigQuestion
    BigQuestion

Edited by - bigquestion on 10 August 2000 5:28:5

Share this

Google+
Pinterest