Should obesity be a DF offense?

by jws 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Valis
    Valis

Redhorse...the concept of gluttony may have also stemmed for the Isrealites having to wait on Jehover for mana from heaven....a long wait I'm wagering...*LOL*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• MorpheuzX
    MorpheuzX

Sure, why not? But if it was, wouldn't you all just say it's just another example of the WTS going beyond what's written? Whatever.

Hey I know, let's have a constitutional amendment banning obesity? Oh damn, I hope no one mentions that to G.W.

• dustyb
    dustyb

being obese should be a disfellowshipping offense based upon the criteria for the "defilement of the flesh".... if you're not allowed to smoke a cigarette for stress, you shoulnd't be allowed to over-indulge in food for stress.......

• loveis
    loveis

On another related thread, I mentioned the Questions From Readers (5-1-86 WT) on this very subject, but no one saw fit to post it. Maybe someone could here?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

"No one" posted The "Questions From Readers" here, following a synopsis by Itsallgoodnow:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/68074/1063933/post.ashx#1063933

• jws
    jws

Like CHEVYSNTATS, I was trying to point out what seems to me to be a hypocrisy. I'm not picking on fat people and I acknowledge that there are very valid reasons for being overweight other than lack of self control or gluttony. (And I could lose a few pounds myself). I'm saying that being overweight is a health hazard. So, according to the JW logic on smoking, if you do things that risk your health, you are 'defiling the flesh'. If you are doing things that are in your control, but make you fatter, you are 'defiling the flesh'.

When you go to a fast food restaurant and order the 1/4 pound cheesburger with super-sized fries, instead of the chicken sandwich or salad, you are 'defiling the flesh' because it's unhealthy - that's more calories than most people need in a day, much less a single meal. According to the JWs, smoking a single cigarette is a disfellowshipping offense because it's unhealthy. So why not fries too?

So, maybe it might not be obesity. How about if you eat unhealthy stuff?

With cigarettes, it's a craving for some people and very hard to quit. Yet they are expected to if they want to become or remain a JW. The same goes for people who are fat because they just can't help but eat unhealthy food.

I think it would be hilarious if JWs had to start eating their cheeseburgers and fries in secret. And people reporting I saw brother so-and-so at a McDonalds ordering fries. A judicial comittee would be formed to investigate.

Admittedly, for practical reasons, there's no way to really make that call as to whether a single meal is going to affect your health. But the rules are strict for smoking. I used to have a cigar on occasion - once or twice a year. And that's not going to make a big dent in my health, but all it would take is that one cigar to DF me.

• dannyboy
    dannyboy

Jws,

I've always said that "Great Minds" run in the same direction/channel.....you may find this thread interesting:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/68074/1.ashx

Of course, you're being serious here, but the point being made in that thread is actually serious as well, just said through satire....

---Dan

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I don't know if obesity should be a df'ing offense, but here is a picture of me the morning I woke up to get ready for the meeting when they "make the annoucement"!

• wednesday
    wednesday

U have to eat to live, u do not have to smoke to live. Different amounts of food will cause different persons to be obese. One person may eat a small meal and still gain weight, others may eat quite a bit ande never have a weight problem. So really, weight is not a good critera for judging gluttoney. The person who cited the example of the man at the cookout loading his plate and not even stopping ot swallow, is a good exmaple of gluttoney. It would probably have to be something that was witnessed by at least 2 people. (holy cow, would that change JW get togethers)

btw, Valis, i know some Braeshaers (SP), they originate form the metroplex.

• dannyboy
    dannyboy

Forty,

Am I right in thinking you're just about to light one up??

---Dan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit