Jim Holt: Why does the universe exist?

by Brokeback Watchtower 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

As Quentin Smith says in Brokeback Watchtower's posted video, the answer to why the universe is here is not interesting and not profound.  

"Why is there something rather than nothing?"  The question demands a reason and suggests something profound.  The answer offers no real depth to give it profoundness.  Fundamentals of reality will disappoint the seeker of spiritual answers every time.  Why does "A" come first in our English alphabet?  Why not "K" ?  The answer is not spectacular.  

So get a thrill out of just trying to comprehend and gain knowledge of the universe.  It's awesome enough without profound questions and not-so profound answers.  

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic
    Why is there something rather than nothing?

Because, as far as we know, "nothing" is not possible.  We have no examples of nothing.  There is no place we can point and say, "Look, there is nothing."

And when "nothing" is put into an equation, we still end up with something.  Nothing is unstable.  Nothing can't stay nothing.  The total sum energy in our universe is ZERO - and yet we still have something.  Nothing just isn't possible.  That's why there's something rather than nothing.  

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    I don't think that's technically correct.  From what I've read and seen, many physicists believe the math points firmly in that direction, but there has been no observational evidence confirming these ideas.  Until string theory is able to make predictions that are confirmed by observation, these ideas remain firmly in the hypothesis stage.

Really NEJ, that's interesting. So why did he put it in a pop physics book I wonder? I'm just reading The Grand Design at the moment. A bit misleading isn't it? 

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    Really NEJ, that's interesting. So why did he put it in a pop physics book I wonder? I'm just reading The GrandDesign at the moment. A bit misleading isn't it? 

It's not a controversial point I'm making.  Notice that Hawking couched it in terms of "according to M-Theory," which is a subset of string theory.  

Note the following excerpt from an interview with a leading string theory researcher, Brian Green:

Do you think string theory will ever be accepted as widely as, say, the theory of general relativity? What would it take for that to happen?

Well, the real reason why general relativity is widely accepted is because it made predictions that were borne out by experimental observations. The primary one that put general relativity on the map was its prediction of the bending of starlight by the sun, which in 1919 was confirmed by observation during a solar eclipse. That was the moment when general relativity emerged from the realm of theory and entered the realm of being a piece of reality as we know it.

For string theory to have the kind of acceptance of general relativity, it's got to do the same thing. It's got to make a prediction that is borne out by some experiment. And as yet, we haven't quite gotten to the stage where we can make definitive predictions which, if they're found, the theory was right, and if they're not found, the theory was wrong.

But we have gotten to the stage where we can make some rough predictions for things that might happen at the future accelerators that are now being built, in particular one in Geneva, Switzerland, called the Large Hadron Collider, which should be ready about 2007 or 2008. If some of the predictions that string theory says might happen are borne out through experiment at that accelerator, then I think it's quite possible that string theory would be as accepted as general relativity.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/conversation-with-brian-greene.html

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Fascinating article NEJ thanks.
  • neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

Crazy coincidence, but this short video was uploaded today on World Science U's youtube channel.  It's touches exactly on this discussion.  

If you find this sort of thing fascinating, you might want to browse that channel's video selection.  You might also enjoy their companion channel, world science festival.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm4R688pTRo

• Twitch
    Twitch

Why does the universe exist?

Probably because it can

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUW7patpm9s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation_%28cosmology%29

In physical cosmologycosmic inflationcosmological inflation, or just inflation is the exponential expansion of space in the earlyuniverse. The inflationary epoch lasted from 10−36 seconds after the Big Bang to sometime between 10−33 and 10−32 seconds. Following the inflationary period, the Universe continues to expand, but at a less accelerated rate.
    The inflationary hypothesis was developed in the 1980s by physicists Alan Guth and Andrei Linde.[1] It explains the origin of the large-scale structure of the cosmosQuantum fluctuations in the microscopic inflationary region, magnified to cosmic size, become the seeds for the growth of structure in the Universe (see galaxy formation and evolution and structure formation).[2] Many physicists also believe that inflation explains why the Universe appears to be the same in all directions (isotropic), why the cosmic microwave background radiation is distributed evenly, why the Universe is flat, and why no magnetic monopoles have been observed.
  • prologos
    prologos
    Penrose's lecture in Poland, Copernicus's homeland had one important point, as is made in his papers, that time predated  our present universe's Big Beginning. All the hypotheses that involve 'virtual particle fluctuations', 'zero sum energy instabilities, vibrations, require that time is available,  exists. How can you have any of these, acceleration, without time?      Is the question why? or is it how? one of the reactions/answers is: --- wow!   

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit