The Slippery Slope

by donkey 47 Replies latest social current

• donkey
  • DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I think I have an apocalypsaholic gene or something. Am I wildly paranoid for having a constant, uneasy feeling that the underpinnings of western industrial civilization are very, very fragile and that it could all come crashing down much more quickly and spectacularly than most people would imagine possible?

So, did your hedging work out? Are ya rakin' in the dough yet?

• donkey
    donkey

Dan,

It was very obvious and what surprises me is how people are whining now....oh wait sorry that was obvious to predict too.

Donkey

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

The major oil companies have actually bought the patents for alternative energy sources and engines in many countries then sat on them. This forces people to use oil technologies, which at present brings them vast profits.

This was the thinking of the oil companies when they bought all the electric tramline companies in Los Angeles, then scrapped them. Forcing people into automobiles that used their gas = more money.

When things get more desperate, they will dust down these patents, and start selling the technology because it has become profitable. (It wasn't 30 years ago).

Oil is a very complex and unique resource, with many better uses than burning it. It is rather like using cognac in your oil lamps, or washing your dirty socks in champagne.

HB

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

The oil "crisis" has been in flux since 1974 when it began to rise from 29 cents per US gallon. By the end of the year we were paying over $1 per gallon! And the pumps had to be revamped because they only handled 2 digits.

I currenly doubt the US will ever see gasoline prices below $2 again.

A few years back we had an energy crisis here in Portland and Pac NW in general. We didn't have enough water runoff to power the dams fully and have enough to save the salmon, etc., etc., etc.,

Yes as the mayor or Portland was telling everyone to conserve water and electricity.... All of Portland streets were alight in Christmas lights! The businessses saying it was necessary for business.

Bah humbug.

In the late 80's people were boycotting Exxon for the Valdez oil spill in Alaska. But Exxon supplies petroleum products to many processors of non-gasoline products products like plastics, etc. So. Who is willing to stop buying a vehicle with plastic interior. Plastic wrap for their food. Etc?

It's a difficult balance. We've cut way back. It's to the point where I get pissed off because most of our cutbacks have been voluntary and we're "asked" to cut back even more.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

DantheMan, I understand... I think many exJW's have some feelings toward apocolypse and survivalism.

When I was working at one mfg plant installing software, I overheard the guys talking about how much gold and other products they were hoarding because of the gulf war. I listened for a while, then piped in:

How y'all considered stocking up on necessary comodities like alcohol and tobacco? You know, gold will eventually become totally worthless and addicts will be needing their fixes. It will be worth far more than even food!

They looked at me with their mouths draggin on the floor!

I went back to my installation.

• donkey
    donkey

BTT

Anyone buying hybrids yet?

Pleased to be of service :)

• Gill
    Gill

I don't believe that any 'energy' changes will be catastrophic but just a change and as with all changes there will be a few years of upheaval and disruption. The human race is more than 'up to' the challenge of alternative fuels.

There certainly won't be so much low cost air travel in another ten to fifteen years. Perhaps people will learn to use other forms of transport that don't rely on oil....in fact, I'm certain they will. Lack of flying.....that will be a bit of a problem and will change the price and availability of certain food stuffs. But, we will make it!

Less of the negatiave!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit