The Slippery Slope

by donkey 47 Replies latest social current

• donkey
    donkey

jgnat,

I bet you we see $3 a gallon this summer...

• jgnat
    jgnat

What would that be in litres? We might be paying that now....

http://canadianeconomy.gc.ca/english/economy/1973opec.html

At 4.545 litres per gallon, Ottawa paid $3.50 a gallon in March. Still here.

• donkey
    donkey

1 US gallon = 3.7854118 litres

The current average price in the US is $1.895 per gallon according to the AAA (http://198.6.95.31/) thus making the average US price per litre equal around 50 cents.

• Simon
    Simon

We can pay 80p per litre which is about $1.40.

You really have no right complaining about the cost of fuel.

• avishai
    avishai

Biodiesel rules, almost anyone can make it. Screw the middle east.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

When I was child, my dad the scientist, told me all about supernovas and how one day our own sun would become a supernova and burn up the earth. Even though he told me it wasn't going to happen for at least 35,000 years, I still went to bed terrified every night. I would picture the sun brightening and then burning us all to a crisp. It didn't help that I had seen the Twilight Zone episode about the earth getting closer to the sun.

My point? Yes, oil prices may go sky high and we may tap the earth of all of its oil someday. Maybe even some year; but I see people who promote these ideas as sensationalistic calamity howlers. They play on our fears. I don't know about you, but I am tired of living my life in fear.

I make reasonable plans for the future, do my part to conserve and then I forget about any impending doom and gloom. Believe me, my own personal circumstances provide enough "right now" things to concern myself with. Worrying about society coming to a grinding hault because we ran out of oil would only make my life very unpleasant. I have to conserve my energy for living a more positive life, especially after leaving the borg.

Don't sweat the maybe things. Be balanced and sensable. Above all, don't let the calamity howlers ruin your happiness.

Heather

• FirstInLine
    FirstInLine

Dan the Man,

that pic is great.

Flyinghighnow,

Not that its a bid deal but the Sun isnt massive enough to go supernova. It will become a red giant and collapse within about 2-3 billions years however. Before that happens its surface will swallow the inner planets and extend almost to the orbit of mars.

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper
    Biodiesel rules, almost anyone can make it. Screw the middle east.

Is that like using vegetable oil to run diesel engines?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Flyinghighnow,

Not that its a bid deal but the Sun isnt massive enough to go supernova. It will become a red giant and collapse within about 2-3 billions years however. Before that happens its surface will swallow the inner planets and extend almost to the orbit of mars.

I kinda doubt anyone knows for sure except maybe the genius that made it all in the first place. The point is: why the heck should a child or anyone else worry about a supernova today?

Heather

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

moon energy!

CZAR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit